What's new

How Bengali language developed

Are you from Dhaka? No body I know talk like that,unless you are from Dhaka.
And a new class has risen in last 10\12 years who are mostly from lower class,getting in,by their English medium schooled children.
And what is formal?you mix with people from cultured background from any society you get the actual taste of language. Be that UK or USA.cockny English is not even considered proper language.
Calcutta bangla sample - chaan kotte jachchi.
Mairi,jompess khelum.e maa,tora kochchiss ki?
Does this sound like proper shuddho bangla to you?

Yes I am from Dhaka but I do not talk like the way "Kire. Tui ghumaaas na ken". I just heard some people talk like that which seemed funny to me and I gave an example of that here. I actually do not know how to talk in that grammo way. But when we talk or I talk I say "Ki hoilo? Tumi ghumao na keno?" Or when I talk with my sister I will say "Ki hoilo tui ghumaish na keno?" And doesn't people outside of Dhaka speak more informally? I am usually not good in Bangla and I don't know much about Kolkata but you are right a more correct term to describe West Bengal’s Bangla will be Shuddhu bhasha.

And what the hell are you calling me lower class!? My grandfather from my Mom’s side was a Pathan studied in Karachi and he knew Farsi, Arabic, Urdu. So that’s why we were able to run away easily from **** soldiers during the 1971 war but we were not Rajakars!! My dad’s father was a Jamidar and at one point was an Islamic MP of our state during the old days and has Central Asian lineage. My father said our ancestor’s name was Zan Khan and Sher Khan and they were Turks. The Khan name was actually given to them, and they are not original Khan. They’re not anyone famous by the way, as some of you might think!

And I don’t mix with lower people at all. In fact I don’t have much friends. Just one best friend and a few acquaintances. Anyway when you say lower did you mean the black looking dalit people? Amar English classe erokom dui jon ache ar ora onek bichiri dekhte! Not sure about the ugly girl but amar teacher bolse jeye amader classe we have a student who is the son of a bua who works there and his father is a rickshaw wala or CNG wala... And then he said... “Akhon ei dhoroner lok jon rao uthe jache ar shomoi nai jeye ora amader overtake korbe.” And then I had a bad feeling and got angry! But we don’t know who that person is, because our teacher won’t say... But I suspect that ugly looking kid who looks like he came out of a slum. Hopefully my AS (part of A level) exams ends this May so I won’t be dealing with anything like this!

I do my English coaching in Study Town with Tareq Sir. Do you know Study Town? Saiful Sir? Saiful Sir and Tareq Sir are one best Physics and English teacher in Dhaka. Quddus sir is also one of the best Chemistry teacher in Dhaka and he recommend his students and send them to Saiful sir so that's why his older brother Shaan Sir is so jealous of him and used to backbite a lot about him LOL! But Quddus Sir is not like that at all!!

Last edited:
The Bangla we speak contains enough Persian and Arabic borrowings for it to be changed to the Nastaliq script. I do not understand how the people of West Bengal are more "Bengali" than us? Different areas have and is defined by their own dialect and accent. The two examples you have isn't standardised Bengali, it's still a regional dialect. Many make the misconception that Dhakaya is shuddo basha...But it's not.
Anyways you are new here, so salaam!

I agree that our Bangla and West Bengali's Bangla is different because we are more Persian/Arabic and Urdu influenced and not just only in our language but also culture and that's why we are so different no matter if we are Bengali or not. So that's why maybe I said they are more Bengali because they speak in Shuddhu bhashha...? :what: :unsure: :rolleyes1:

Dhakaiya bhasha is Shuddhu bhasha? Really!? People think that!? Hahahahaha! If a West Bengali gets to hear a Dhakaiya speak they will probably end up sweeping on the floor crying. :omghaha: Because they will think it is very offensive. But Dhakaiya's don't mean it, it's just the way they talk! And their accent is funny too! :p:
Actually I doubt if West Bengalis will even understand anything, that they are saying. Sometimes it's also difficult for me to understand.

Walaikum Salaam bhai jan!

Last edited:
Are you

Are you from Dhaka? No body I know talk like that,unless you are from Dhaka.
And a new class has risen in last 10\12 years who are mostly from lower class,getting in,by their English medium schooled children.
And what is formal?you mix with people from cultured background from any society you get the actual taste of language. Be that UK or USA.cockny English is not even considered proper language.
Calcutta bangla sample - chaan kotte jachchi.
Mairi,jompess khelum.e maa,tora kochchiss ki?
Does this sound like proper shuddho bangla to you?
"ghumas na kan" is also used in chittagong and also probably the relatively-more urban parts of comilla and noakhali. i don't think this informal dialect has a specific regional domain. having said that though, it doesn't stay that way during a pure chatgaia interaction or pure noakhailla interaction for that matter; so the dialect/accent used sometimes depends on the participants of the interaction.

dhakaiya dialect is actually associated only with puran dhaka. what many of us know as the dhakaiya zoban is it is a very urdu/hindustani-influenced bangla. what i didn't know until recently is that the original dhaka language is actually thorough urdu, and this urdu has a distinct accent and this dhakaiya urdu can be considered a dialect of urdu language, just as hyderabadi urdu or punjabi-lahori urdu can be considered different urdu dialects. besides that, the dhakaiya "kudtti" zoban is actually a bangla-fied version of the original dhakaiya urdu.

Back
Top Bottom