What's new

Bal Thackeray wants burqa banned

Incorrect! Burqa is a sign of modesty, and is an integral Islamic practice!

Islam is the FIRST religion to give equal rights to women, Alhamdulillah!

Problem is that who 'bares more'= Liberal,Moderate, Secular= Acceptable
One who covers up = Fanatic, Funadamentalist, Extremist= TALIBAN
Problem with INDIANs, they want to ape everything West is doing and call it progress. In fact they are just damn 'CARICATURES' .

Some B*****ds never give up.

Ps: sorry for harsh language, but Mr. Bal Tah-kar-k is forgetting, more then 150 million indians are muslims, and india is looking to be called a secular country.

Well i will disagree with you over your points since Islam gives all the rights to women, such as education,fashion,work,choice of marriage,equal or more inheritage, All is given by Islam, Dominance has no room. Burqa is a symbol which is good. Islam ask women to cover their body as to men so what's the problem. Forcing muslim women not to practice religious dress is also a form or oppression. It's like telling sardars not to wear That thing on the top etc. This world is getting so sick honestly it's sad:undecided: :angry::pakistan:

Bt the Way cover from head to toe can done in trouser and shirts with hood caps , and in jeans , or any other clothes, also ..If ask same for both women and Man then why women only wear burkha ?? why not Mans weree burkha ? Ans that?

BTW where in islam written women use burkha? nowhere, if you read your Own Kuran , no where it is written

Moreover If you think Equal Rights, then why Mans can divorce women by saying Talaq and why not Women granted same instance?

I think banning of burqa is as bad as propsing burqa for everyone.

If taliban is wrong in forcing women to wear their burqa then - bal thankre is equally wrong in forcing them not to wear.

But the fact of the matter is - BAL THAKRE WANTS burqa ban.

and anyboyd can want that - i want to be king of whole universe apart from being king of human race ( which i already am).

Its alright to want something until demand it with force and male people do it without their will
. I personally think burqa is icon of supression of women, but if someone still want to wear it its ok with me - i am not facing the problem.

And omar - dude that graceful lady in your avatar is not wearing you beloved burqa is she ??? and neither did other famous ladies from pakistan. tell me 5 super women from pakistan who wear burqa and are loved and did something astonishing ?

And omar - dude that graceful lady in your avatar is not wearing you beloved burqa is she ??? and neither did other famous ladies from pakistan. tell me 5 super women from pakistan who wear burqa and are loved and did something astonishing ?

Read my post again. I said most women west of Islamabad wear Burqas, but some women even in my village in Punjab wear Burqas.

I didn't say all Pakistani women wear Burqas, and there's nothing wrong with wearing Burqas.

Some Pakistani women wear Burqas and some dont, its their choice and there's nothing wrong with wearing it.

P.S. You will find Pakistani women who wear Burqas in every region of Pakistan, it depends on the woman herself, I shouldn't generalize about which region the woman comes from, but generally speaking women are more conservative in our western provinces than our eastern provinces.

Read my post again. I said most women west of Islamabad wear Burqas, but some women even in my village in Punjab wear Burqas.

I didn't say all Pakistani women wear Burqas, and there's nothing wrong with wearing Burqas.

Some Pakistani women wear Burqas and some dont, its their choice and there's nothing wrong with wearing it.

P.S. You will find Pakistani women who wear Burqas in every region of Pakistan, it depends on the woman herself, I shouldn't generalize about which region the woman comes from, but generally speaking women are more conservative in our western provinces than our eastern provinces.

Point taken brother - i misread you there. i thought u were proposing burqa for everyone - not by choice but by force.

i actually share the same point - burqa should be by choice of will of the wearer not some self acclaimed social father
:cheers:

if purdah is compulsory why only women should wear burqa.men should do the same.why different set of rules for men and women??

I'm sure i'm gonna get plenty of flack from the e-mullahs for saying this but even i'm against burqa it's too over the top .It's no big deal burqa is not even compulsary in islam besides thats it's impractical it hides your face and your identity how will people know for sure if they can't see them ? if your unable identify people it's a security risk .Anyway if they wanna be modest why can't they just wear hijab ? that way you can be modest without hiding anything an all parties can be satisfied.

Last edited:
about france burqa ban but related to my point......

Days after President Nicolas Sarkozy slammed the burka, or face veil, as "not welcome" in France, Islamic scholars said the burka was not obligatory in Islam and said every state had a right to ban the face veil.

The burka debate has been raging for a while in Europe with countries like the Netherlands banning it in universities and the British press reporting that Muslims and non-Muslims alike are calling for a ban on the face covering attire.

As for the Islamic reaction Egypt's Grand Imam, Sheikh Mohammad Tantawi, said the face veil was not compulsory in Islam and said every head of state had the right to accept or prohibit it.

" I have nothing to do with the French president's decision. Every country has its own rules "
Sheikh Tantawi"I have nothing to do with the French president's decision. Every country has its own rules," Tantawi who heads al-Azhar University, the world's leading Sunni Islam institution, told Al Arabiya.

Tantawi added that women who wear the burka have to abide by the rules of the country they live in, especially because it is not an obligation in Islam.

"The traditional headscarf [hijab] is what is obligatory. This means covering the entire body except the face and hands and wearing clothes that are neither tight nor transparent," he said.

In a parliament session, Sarkozy supported French lawmakers' request that an inquiry be held to determine if the face veil undermines French secularism or women rights.

"We cannot accept to have in our country women who are prisoners behind netting, cut off from all social life, deprived of identity," he said. "That is not the idea that the French republic has of women's dignity."

However, Sarkozy made it clear that Islam, like other religions, was respected in France, home to the biggest Muslim community in Europe.

Headscarf is enough

" A woman's outfit is personal freedom and no country has the right to interfere with it "
Dr. Salem Abdel-Galil Meanwhile Egypt's deputy minister of Religious Endowments for Preaching agreed with Tantawi's statements that the niqab was not obligatory and said a Muslim woman is only required to wear the headscarf.

Deputy Minister of Religious Endowments for Preaching, agreed with Tantawi's statements. Abdel-Galil was assigned by Minister of Religious Endowments Mahmoud Hamqi Zaqzouq to give lectures to explain to the ministry's face-veiled female employees that niqab is not an obligation in Islam and that the head scarf is enough.

"A woman's outfit is personal freedom and no country has the right to interfere with it," Dr. Salem Abdel-Galil told AlArabiya. "However, if a woman who wears the face veil is asked to take it off to, for example, have her identity verified, she has to do so."

" Sarkozy's decision is in harmony with the secularism of the French republic "
Imam of the Paris Grand MosqueAbdel-Galil said he believed Sarkozy had taken such a tough stance on the burka because of an incident where a woman refused to remove her face veil while giving a testimony in a French court.

"Sarkozy's decision is in harmony with the secularism of the French republic," Dalil Boubakeur, Imam of the Paris Grand Mosque, told Al Arabiya.

In contrast, Ahmed Gaballah, head of the European Institute of Human Sciences and member of European Council for Fatwa and Research, expressed his surprise at the timing of the decision.

"I believe this is a way of distracting people from the internal problems the society is suffering from," he told Al Arabiya. "The number of face-veiled women in France is very minimal and cannot by any means be considered a phenomenon."

Gaballah added that Sarkozy's statements would have made more sense had they been founded on legal rather than religious basis.

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2009/06/24/76922.html

koran does not put women in burqas !

Sir, While I oppose Nicolas Sarkozy’s right-wing and pro-American agenda, I commend the French leader for questioning the validity of full-face veiling for Muslim women (report, June 23). The Muslim Educational Centre of Oxford (Meco) has championed the unequivocal right of Muslim women not to wear either the hijab (headscarf) or face covering (niqab/burka) in the light of pristine Koranic teachings.

For too long a foreign-inspired Muslim clergy that defends female inferiority and gender discrimination has subjected Muslims in the West to virulent indoctrination. This brainwashing stems from the Middle East and South Asia but has no Koranic foundation. It is propagated by nefarious factions, including the hardline Wahhabi-Ikwani-Salafi-
Deobandi sects.
These currently ascendant sexist groups in Europe peddle the myth that full body covering and face concealment for women is a religious requirement. On the contrary, it is nothing more than a cultural choice, a personal preference. The mullahs fail to tell their flocks that nowhere in Islam’s transcendent text is there any mention of the word burka or niqab. [/b]Since the Koran declares itself to be immutable and that nothing has been omitted from the scripture (vi, 38), why is there a need for latterday misogynists to impose a draconian dress code that is not specifically sanctioned by the holy book? Other than calling for public modesty of both sexes, Islam’s sacred scripture does not prescribe any specific sartorial code.

As with everything else that brings Islam into disrepute today, the Muslim clergy relies on secondary sources, particularly the hadith (sayings of the Prophet Muhammad) to support their questionable theological views, including the need for women to hide their faces. But it is a historical fact that the hadith, many of which are suspect or spurious, were compiled about 250 years after the death of the Prophet. Clearly, where these human statements conflict with the divine text, they have no legitimacy.

While Muslim women should be at liberty to decide what to wear, they have to be truthful and say that they are upholding cultural mores and tribal traditions when they veil their faces. They cannot honestly claim that this trendy fad, which evokes understandable fear and negativity in European society, is a koranic imperative or a religious duty.

Only with the emergence of an indigenous British Islam that is faithful to the uplifting tenets of the faith in restoring the Koran’s total primacy will there be advances in the status of Muslim women in Britain. This naturalised Islam firmly rejects the fabrications and fallacies of a Saudi-funded clergy and will expedite effective Muslim integration into the British mainstream.

In the meantime, the French President should be applauded for initiating an essential public debate about the non-koranic burka and niqab.

Dr T. Hargey

Chairman, Muslim Educational Centre of Oxford

The Koran does not put women in burkas -Times Online

Baning anything has never solved a prob.

Education is the key. how many women do we see at work in a Burqa ?

People have been insisting upon the 'freedom' of women to wear burqa but forget that even those women who wear them willfully, most plausibly and almost entirely do so because of peer pressure, inertia of suppressive culture or recently in societies like Europe as reactionary act against 'anti-Islamic forces'.
People who talk about rights should realize that their arguments are valid only if the effects of the above are absolutely zero.

Consider this:
Ask a woman who has not been wearing burqa to do that. What are the chances that she will without force?
If she does not that means this fairness should apply to all other women although I prefer it coming from inside the community in question. But if a country chooses to be pro-active in helping these women I will see that as hastening the process, a welcome change and a good example for others, even the so called Islamic countries.

Who are we kidding saying women would love to wear burqa? + our societies are very conservative. So how long is it going to take the change to occur?

Another possiblity is that burqa be allowed if, on a case by case basis, a woman if major(above 18 years or so) gives a statement that she is wearing burqa by her own free will. And let burqa be banned for all girls below the age of 18.

I think this will suit even other countries(Islamic or otherwise) not just France since it is an accepted fact that burqa is not a necessary condition for Islam wrt women.

Last edited:
this goes 2 ways.....me personally?

I am HARDCORE anti-burqa. I hate seeing them, i can't stand looking at women wearing them at the same time, in democratic society's (true ones) people should be allowed to wear it if they truly WANT TO.

I personally prefer they dont, but who am i to say

Burqa is purely wahhaby cultural phenonmenon. In Pakistan (and the Muslim women of bharat) most women don't wear it -- and I'm damn proud of that fact

We are quick to say women should keep their gaze down and be as pure and modest as possible

But we (as in some small group of ignorant Muslims) are so hypocritical and so short-sighted to say men shouldn't whistle or harass/stare at women in the first place

Well said, I second that. :tup:

Well you are obviously ignorant, judging by your comments.

You Indians should first ban the red dot on the heads of Hindus, and the Turbans for Sikhs before thinking about banning the burqa.

I know India is a fascist state, and your desires might come true, but I doubt the 150 million+ Muslims of India will take it easy!

Mind your own business... You have no right to tell us what to do or not. It is our religion, and if you force your ideology on us, your actions will be countered severely!

What irrelevent bs are you ranting?? Burqa has NOTHING to do with Religion.. where as the Sikh turbin is a symbol for Sikhs. No woman wears a burqa based on free will and is always forced.. Learn to differentiate between Burqa and Hijab.. how stupid are you? Now if he banned a woman from wearing a Hijab than dam right muslims have the right to be pissed.. but if you think Burqa is a symbol of religion like the Sikh Turban and the red dot than you seriously need to go and dive of a cliff..

And how the fcuk is a burqa sign of modesty? This is a sign of modesty?

bb05b39cf45d674461e4b43a03957583.jpg

This here is a sign of modesty not the burqa

d452d47f9eaf150f07d5e1cf7f60aa08.jpg

You cannot force opinion or change in a country like India; the last time someone really tried it - Emergency in the 70s - it rebounded so hard on the proponents (Sanjay Gandhi & co) that the experience has 'sunk' into the DNA or politicians and the public alike.

This is also, IMO, India's core strength - we have rarely tried to force change in a ham handed way. A lot of it is based on law, and is evolutionary.

So, despite what Thackeray says, he is simply posturing; his words carry no impact beyond raising hackles on internet forums.

Speaking of raising hackles, I have found that people who avidly espouse religion - religion supposedly being tolerant, humanist et al - are often first in line to be aggressive, rude, unwilling to think and apparently capable of accepting nothing less than what they think is the truth. Very 'unreligious'!

Back
Top Bottom