What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

I thought one of the K-3 was in China for conversion / upgrade to AESA, however it also seems that PAF has opted to keep the rotating Disk System instead of fixed array like the KJ-500. ( Based on pictures seen so far. )
I am not an expert, but herd that AESA are not mechanical based radars. In above post, it appears that PAF is going for rotating disk with AESA.
Could someone explain, is there any advantage of such system - for knowledge.

I think they are keeping the rotating dish, however it doesn't have to rotate to work for AESA. I am not sure why PAF is opting for this version unless its dual array ( cheaper ) vs triple array AESA as seen on KJ-500.

Electronic beam shifting in vertical and horizontal plane giving 360 coverage

In case of paf version aesa radar just shift or beam move up and down and rotation of mexhical dish provides horixatal coverage giving 360 degrees coverage

Still aesa I think

Mechanical means wear and tear vs electronics no moving parts so more reliable

IMG_4129.JPG

IMG_4128.JPG

CETC No. 14 Insitute "Silk Road Eye" AESA AEW radar detecting range increases at least one third, new abilities like key sector extending range search and high maneuvering target tracking are added.

IMG_4130.JPG

Thank you for the photos to illustrate dual array, Not sure if Dual array provides 360 if not rotating, while triple array offers over-lap.

Agree with you on parts failure for moving dish.

Range increase is good addition too, should be comparable to ERIEYEs.

After we install the 3 Erieye radars on Saab 2000 ourselves how difficult will it be to install the same system on other jets???
Very difficult and the rewards are not worth it. Saab did all the testing of airframes and radar integration already so we didnt need to. What you are proposing is a long term and expensive idea and also one that does not make any sense. We already have two different AEW&C aircraft in service and dont need to add a third type.

Very difficult and the rewards are not worth it. Saab did all the testing of airframes and radar integration already so we didnt need to. What you are proposing is a long term and expensive idea and also one that does not make any sense. We already have two different AEW&C aircraft in service and dont need to add a third type.
But a bigger platform will offer more data crunching abilities and help better manage the battlefield.

Back
Top Bottom