What's new

Pakistan risks sanctions over Iran gas deal: WSJ

At least someone posting with rationality rather than emotion.

I think KSA will move in to cancel this deal.

KSA, Surely holds grater leverage but on other hand Pakistan holds excuse that KSA is increasing ties with India + KSA can't fulfill our gas requirements in desired time + If US agrees than KSA will back-off as well. So, Key here is brokering deal with US - obviously it will be give and take.

KSA, Surely holds grater leverage but on other hand Pakistan holds excuse that KSA is increasing ties with India + KSA can't fulfill our gas requirements in desired time + If US agrees than KSA will back-off as well. So, Key here is brokering deal with US - obviously it will be give and take.

What I heard KSA provides lots of freebies to Pakistan. KSA has been since long time trying to entice us not to buy oil from Iran to economically weaken Iran.

What I heard KSA provides lots of freebies to Pakistan. KSA has been since long time trying to entice us not to buy oil from Iran to economically weaken Iran.

Nothing is free in this world - they got/getting what they wanted to achieve.

If they impose sanctions then block all supplies to the NATO forces in Afghanistan. Let them starve for a few days and watch the fireworks. Lets develop a more pro-active policy and stop relying on that horrid country for once. They have seriously betrayed us dozens and dozens of times.

not possible mate.firstly -due to reason stated by LoveIcon.

secondly-they wont care about pak post 2014. then they will be free to impose sanctions against pak.

If anyone remember, I told this that it might occur. They have solid reason to do so. They don't have to go to UN. Just impose sanctions from their own side, US and European nations.

What will Pakistan govt. do in this case ?

P.S No chest thumping. Only rational points.

If they do something now then their plan to turn tail and run from Afghanistan will be seriously crippled. Our trade with US account for less than five percent which has dropped significantly as pakistan started exploring new markets like russia. So most of the effects will be indirect like countries like india and Bangladesh ganging up for sanctions. Most of pakistani trade is happening with GCU and china.

Saying is different from doing - in politics people say many things they have no intention of carrying through

Tomorrow if the Iranian and the US make a breakthrough, well, things can be different and US interests may be among those who will seek to invest in the pipe line and instead of going to China, it will most certainly go to India

Sir as long as Ayatollahs are ruling Iran this will not happen.

On Topic if sanctions are imposed Pakistani Rupee will go from ~100 to a dollar to ~150 to a dollar. Pakistan compared to 1998 is in a bad position and I don't think can take on the sanctions. This deal as of now doesn't make any economic sense. It will do Pakistan more harm then good. And I don't think China will fight for you here.

I think the PPP govt is playing politics. They are catering to a section of Pakistanis who want to see Pakistan standing upto US. Looks to me as nothing but muscle flexing before elections to get votes from Right wing. The next govt. will probably sit on this (i.e. not move forward)

US cannot afford to put sanctions on Pakistan. US , EU economies are weak.
This is just psychological threats to stop Pakistan from IP gas pipeline. Until 2014, US will not sanction Pakistan. and till then IP pipeline construction will be completed ( if given appropriate security ). Once gas starts flowing, No question of turning back.
Also, Even if Pakistan abondons IP pipeline, What will it get ? Will it get Nuclear deal , or Weapons ? Pakistan will never get nuclear deal nor weapons from US. Thanks to India. It may get some negligible military pea nuts , not of any significant value. So what US has to offer Pakistan in return of abandoning IP ? May be IMF loan for Diamer-Bhasha dam or some other mega dam ? This won't help as it will take ateast 10 years to build dam. The Gas and Electricity Crisis is so acute that , even if corrupt politicians want to abandon IP pipeline, people won't allow them.

this is not about the gas anymore its about politics, and zardari is playing some politics with his shia brother

there is already the suspecion that gas price is too big

so if the gas price is not cheap why are we buying gas from iran?

we need to start establishing plants in our own gas fields and start extracting them, importing gas is not the solution here

not possible mate.firstly -due to reason stated by LoveIcon.

secondly-they wont care about pak post 2014. then they will be free to impose sanctions against pak.

If we dont solve our energy problems soon then sanction will be the last thing to worry. Our industrial and agricultural output is at a stand despite outside demands we cant meet their requirement due to energy shortage. Our country will go bankrupt if we dont get this gas by next year. Turkmanistan pipe line is the most stupidest option as there is no security at all. Its either do or die for us.

Sanctions on pakistan .......
no more International banking for pakistan banks ......
Support for international terrorism and its financing collapse...
World peace possible

Go Iran :yahoo:

:partay::partay:

Every one has a right to dream so keep dreaming. Secondly if countries were to Perish by mere sanction then Iran would have perished long time ago. Thirdly there will be no end to terrorism untill there are mooroons like you are present. Lastly if you were not an idiot then you would known that an unstable country next door is a recipe to hell so if we go down then it wont be long when your sweet asss will be coming.

That is actually the best time to do anything against the will of USA. With USA looking to widthdraw, it has its neck in our hands.

That's what Pakistan has done.

What Pakistan has done?

Has the deal been signed?

There is lots of talk about nothing on paper yet.

Why everyone is getting their panties in a bunch on something that isn't there in the first place.

Or

May be I missed the big news.

And the pipeline got built recently and the gas started flowing to Gadahri/Bilawal house.

Perhaps you all know better.

That is actually the best time to do anything against the will of USA. With USA looking to widthdraw, it has its neck in our hands.

Never ever make a mistake that a super power will let a tiny pesky country to grab it from the neck.

na na na na na

What Pakistan has done?

Has the deal been signed?

There is lots of talk about nothing on paper yet.

Why everyone is getting their panties in a bunch on something that isn't there in the first place.

Or

May be I missed the big news.

And the pipeline got built recently and the gas started flowing to Gadahri/Bilawal house.

Perhaps you all know better.

Never ever make a mistake that a super power will let a tiny pesky country to grab it from the neck.

na na na na na

Pakistan has more than half the population of the US, not exactly tiny....

Pakistan has more than half the population of the US, not exactly tiny....

I wish we are talking the numbers here. I wish.

But my dear dear ole friend,

The original remarks of mine were based on a quote. The quote that talked about military confrontation by grabbing the neck of Americans.

So please see this in the full context. and not just population numbers

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom