What's new

J-20 Supercruise speed

I'm interested. Please elaborate.
Low observable platforms are constantly evolving. In WWI it was about visual camouflage. Planes like U-2 and SR-71 are both LO against the threat they faced at the time. My point is that "stealth" is a shifting requirment.

With that said, Americans have been researching into reducing their plane's radar signatures since SR-71 in the 1970's. Prior to F-22, they've put several LO planes into operational use in actual combat. The experience, tactics and depth of knowledge in the field is something China do not compare. From what I can gather, China only started in this field in the 1980's, but did not seriously engage in this matter until J-XX program started in the late 90's.

Then there is the problem of sensor fusion. It's not just about how nice the AESA radar and IRST is on your plane. Americans aircrafts can reliably depend on off-board sensors to provide for better situational awareness in a network centric environment. Their VLO designs allows them to counter the opponent's awareness. In addition, Americans have a wide range of ECM available at their disposal to suppress the other side's network.

My opinion still stands, J-20 design is a compromise, speed and agility in an environment in which you have very little reaction time.

Chengdu did very well in designing the aerodynamics of J-20, now the answear to how fast it can supercruise comes to the engine they going to use on that beast.

just one day after Chinese New Year 2.Fed.2011, there was an anonymous guy put a post claim that WS-15 is successfully finalized. (the guy claimed he worked for related department, at the Chinese New Year's eve party, a person in uniform from the top gave a keynote speech appraising all the hard works and milestone acheivements, on one occassion he mention the 'next generation engine' had been successfully passed the 2000hours ground testing phase, and had mention the max thrust of the 'next generation engine' is over 18,000kgf !)

I'm quite speculative about 18,000kgf max thrust! however, when FC-1,
J-10, WZ-10, J-10B, J-xx were all highly rated rumors, they all came out true with a bit more surprises. So I start to seriously consider what that anonymous guy's claim.

the link is here:??J20???????????????????_????_?????--??????--????????
can anyone translate this into english, Im not very sure about my translation skills``:P

Assuming your source is reliable, it mentioned:

Thrust of WS-15 is 16.3 tonne without afterburner, 18.7 with afterburner.

Two engines were produced for the first experiment batch

One had ran on a test platform for 3600 hrs to date. One had restarted repeatedly 450 times. Both were normal.

J-20 was using one of four of the second experimental production run. (a bit suspicious, as engine installed on J-20 should come in pairs)

Large scale production runs pending.

Certainly I am not a member of that group, but that does not mean members of that group do not regularly visit forums in China and keep the public up to date with status of the project. It's not an assumption on my part, but rather a reflection of their views. Surpassing F-22's manoevurability was one of the "hard" requirements the military had imposed early in the process, even at the cost increased signature.

That again, is an assumption on your part that they would be unable to program the flight control to exceed its competitor. The project director himself specializes in this field and in addition an entire research faculty at Northwestern Industrial University is devoted to the job. You may wish to dismiss it as mere nationalistic view, but CAC engineers seems to be optimistic after windtunnel tests and simulations.

Like I said before, feel free to think whatever you like, but I rather trust the words of those who work under AVIC 1 than yours.
I dare say that the majority of the people here, YOU included, have never heard of something like 'flight control laws' whenever they started talking about 'fly-by-wire'. Nowhere have I said that the J-20's designers are 'unable' to program the aircraft's computers, only that since this is a publicly accessible forum where the general audience have the greater number of people who do not participate, I want them to be better informed than what an advocate would often selectively present to that audience. I often succeeded in present non-US and technically oriented sources to support my arguments. Not much can say the same for the Chinese members of this forum. The people will be more cautious before accepting any Chinese claims at face value.

I dare say that the majority of the people here, YOU included, have never heard of something like 'flight control laws' whenever they started talking about 'fly-by-wire'. Nowhere have I said that the J-20's designers are 'unable' to program the aircraft's computers, only that since this is a publicly accessible forum where the general audience have the greater number of people who do not participate, I want them to be better informed than what an advocate would often selectively present to that audience. I often succeeded in present non-US and technically oriented sources to support my arguments. Not much can say the same for the Chinese members of this forum. The people will be more cautious before accepting any Chinese claims at face value.
While I admit to know very little about flight controls, there has been plenty of sources in China regarding flight control designs made available to public. Simply because you are not aware of them does not mean everything coming from China is a little more than a speculative claim.

An example of basic FBW design manual:
·É»úÉè¼ÆÊֲᣨ1-14²á£¬18¡¢19²áÈ«£©µÚÊ®¶þÌû | º½¿Õ¼¼ÊõÓ뺽¿ÕÆ÷×ÊÁÏ·¢²¼ÏÂÔØÇø - ¹ú·À¿Æ¼¼ÂÛ̳ - Powered by PHPWind

Certainly, the posters that work with AVIC 1 in China would not disclose everything they know in a public discussion forum. However, they are optimistic enough to assure the public the J-20's success. If your psyche do allow you to believe their views, that is hardly my concern.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom