What's new

Iqbal and Urdu day in India

Status
Not open for further replies.
you cant understand the perso-arabic mixture of hindi(which is also called urdu).try watching a pakistani news channel or news on siasat hyderabad website.you will not understand half of what they speak.what you understand is hindi with few persian words here and there.

No mate I do watch a lot of Pakistani news channels on youtube and can follow Urdu quite well, although can't speak well. Thanks to Bollywood songs and some good north Indian friends.

BTW any other language has a 'day' for itself in India ? AFAIK Tamil does not..

dinam which is a sanskritword is used as day in many indian languages including tamil.as all north languages are derivatives of sanskrit you can say all those languages have their own word for day.my mother tongue telugu has a word for day which is called naal(which is there in tamil and malayalam as well) but no one uses it.we say roju(distorted form of persian word roz) for day.

No mate I do watch a lot of Pakistani news channels on youtube and can follow Urdu quite well, although can't speak well. Thanks to Bollywood songs and some good north Indian friends.
@joekrish
Watch the movie Ashoka ...I couldnt understand it :blink: now THAT was Hindi ....Notice the difference...

Last edited by a moderator:
@Joe Shearer 1stly I am not a Muhajir....My greatgrand parents moved with their children (my grandparents)....They thought us WE are PAKISTANI....nothing else....We know our roots just for the sake of knowing....

Well, you said that with soo much venom...anyone reading between the lines would have pointed it out :P

There was no venom, so you flatter yourself in thinking that you can read between lines; you read what was not there.

Why not stick to the facts? What did I say, actually, in words that we can all read, that led you to your very surprising con lusion?

@Talon
when did i say urdu is a dialect?i said it is hindi with persian and arabic words.Man if u dont want to agree with what i am saying tht is ok.If you feel urdu is a language with its own identity different from hindi so be it.I can only have a discussion with a person without any bias and preoccupied notions.

The two of you ... have you ever seen the urdu character set ? it is borrowed from Arabic.

How does urdu have Sanskrit roots ?

Look at many words that you talk ever day, and they are actually Arabic words.

I am not going to list any; you have to learn to learn accept your mistake and sit calm.

Urdu and persian are to arabic what English and French are to latin.

I can say that since I speak Urdu, Pashto and Arabic.

Wrong!!,utterly wrong comparison,you are talking about loan words,What we really need to look is the root of the language.Urdu may a some Arabic loan words.But essentially Urdu is an Indo Aryan language and its root firmly lies in ancient Indo Aryan Languages like Sanskrit.Same goes for Persian which is an Indo Iranian language,Just because ancient Iranians loaned Arabic alphabet doesn't mean they are of same family.Arabic is an Afro Asiatic Language,Totally different language family.I can understand you infatuation with Arabs, but no matter what you say you cant change this fact.But,Yes your argument is correct about Persian.But not Arabic.Urdu has not much in common with Arabic other than a few loan words and the modified Persian Alphabets.

@Talon
when did i say urdu is a dialect?i said it is hindi with persian and arabic words.Man if u dont want to agree with what i am saying tht is ok.If you feel urdu is a language with its own identity different from hindi so be it.I can only have a discussion with a person without any bias and preoccupied notions.
@dravidianhero you ALSO said NO LINGUIST would call Urdu a language....Now eat your words...

Nice talking to you guys But I gotta go back to my lab :P

Whaooo Dude!! Who the heck do YOU think you are? Fatwah dayna hai masjid mein jao dari bhara kay!! :rofl:

Damn @KingMamba93, does hyderabad urdu not count or something because most proffeseurs are from there or Luck Now atleast here.

No hyderabadis speak urdu but they have their own accent/ dialect, also they will not understand alot of urdu vocab because they are loaned from persian or arabic and use loan words from hindi instead incorporated into their urdu. Also they cannot read the script and probably write in hindi instead.

There was no venom, so you flatter yourself in thinking that you can read between lines; you read what was not there.

Why not stick to the facts? What did I say, actually, in words that we can all read, that led you to your very surprising con lusion?

Words nicely strung together...yet didnt hit the target...sorry I dont sing songs :coffee:

No hyderabadis speak urdu but they have their own accent/ dialect, also they will not understand alot of urdu vocab because they are loaned from persian or arabic and use loan words from hindi instead incorporated into their urdu. Also they cannot read the script and probably write in hindi instead.
@KingMamba93 seriously, I dont understand MOST of Hindi...I mean I watched Ashoka and I had to use subtitles :blink:

I tried watching those ramayan dramas...Out of 1 sentence I get only 1 words the rest are ALL FOREIGN!! :blink: and yet someone says its the same language?! :blink:

But urdu aka hindi played a key role in unifying the sub continent.recently i was watching misbah ul haq speaking urdu.eventhough i am a south indian i felt much elated that this language which originated from sanskrit is spoken even by pashtuns of pakistan.It is the only language which is spoken and understood in such a wide range of area in asia.I heard arabic spoken in egypt ,saudi,iraq,qatar ,morocco are not mutually comprehensible though they are called arabic.same is the case with chinese.

NO.
The subjects of subcontinent were speaking what are called the aryan indo languages.

Once they were under muslims rules who were closely following Arabic , the locals of sub continents had to change and learn the language of the masters.

Since the masters spoke Persian.

Thus over time Persian has evolved into Urdu.

so now go learn. Use the search button.
There is an almost 70 page thread already on the forum about this.

pakistan did a great favour to india by adopting urdu as its national language.It allowed bollywood and indian songs and drama to flourish in the entire sub continent.I even saw on net ppl of afghanistan speaking hindi fluently.even in south india apar from tamilnadu people of all towns and cities have same basic knowledge of hindi.they can understand most of the words even if they cannot speak it.Urdu allowed india to act as superior to other countries .It gave india a sense of big brother.

Am I suppose to take offense on that??You see this is the problem with people who oppose science and logic,They take offense on the most silliest things, and they expect to rest of the world to do the same.I'll say you are very lucky to be called an Ape rather than been called an Arthropod or an Echinoderm.

Wrong!!,utterly wrong comparison,you are talking about loan words,What we really need to look is the root of the language.Urdu may a some Arabic loan words.But essentially Urdu is an Indo Aryan language and its root firmly lies in ancient Indo Aryan Languages like Sanskrit.Same goes for Persian which is an Indo Iranian language,Just because ancient Iranians loaned Arabic alphabet doesn't mean they are of same family.Arabic is an Afro Asiatic Language,Totally different language family.I can understand you infatuation with Arabs, but no matter what you say you cant change this fact.But,Yes your argument is correct about Persian.But not Arabic.Urdu has not much in common with Arabic other than a few loan words and the modified Persian Alphabets.

Words nicely strung together...yet didnt hit the target...sorry I dont sing songs :coffee:

@KingMamba93 seriously, I dont understand MOST of Hindi...I mean I watched Ashoka and I had to use subtitles :blink:

I tried watching those ramayan dramas...Out of 1 sentence I get only 1 words the rest are ALL FOREIGN!! :blink: and yet someone says its the same language?! :blink:

I can understand most hindi it is mostly similar to urdu but has some different words because Urdu is a "Muslim language". Let me give you an example, in urdu to say - you can trust me- it would be mujpe imaan rak sakte ho however in hindi it would be vishvash or something instead of imaan. That is because imaan has a purely islamic connotation behind it derived from arabic of the Quran. Another example in urdu God is either Allah (arabic loan) or some say ya khuda (which is the persian word for Allah), meanwhile in hindi they would say bhagwan or something lol. Unless they are Muslims they will probably say Allah. The biggest difference however is the script for obvious reasons.

dinam which is a sanskritword is used as day in many indian languages including tamil.as all north languages are derivatives of sanskrit you can say all those languages have their own word for day.my mother tongue telugu has a word for day which is called naal(which is there in tamil and malayalam as well) but no one uses it.we say roju(distorted form of persian word roz) for day.

Dude I';m not asking the word for 'day' in Tamil :(

I'm asking if there is anything like Tamil day, Telegu day like Mothers day, fathersday..since we are having a Urdu day here, I thought of asking.

p.s: Man its awful of you to think that I dont even know what day is called in my native tongue :lol:

That's because they were using older dialects.That's typical for historical movies.Modern day Hindi uses Khariboli dialect which what Urdu is also based on.See Delhi Belly you will see difference.

I can understand most hindi it is mostly similar to urdu but has some different words because Urdu is a "Muslim language". Let me give you an example, in urdu to say - you can trust me- it would be mujpe imaan rak sakte ho however in hindi it would be vishvash or something instead of imaan. That is because imaan has a purely islamic connotation behind it derived from arabic of the Quran. Another example in urdu God is either Allah (arabic loan) or some say ya khuda (which is the persian word for Allah), meanwhile in hindi they would say bhagwan or something lol. Unless they are Muslims they will probably say Allah. The biggest difference however is the script for obvious reasons.
@KingMamba93 itni door janay ki kiya zaroorat hai...I dont even know the names of the days in HINDI....:blink: Mangalwal or something :P

Dude I';m not asking the word for 'day' in Tamil :(

I'm asking if there is anything like Tamil day, Telegu day like Mothers day, fathersday..since we are having a Urdu day here, I thought of asking.

p.s: Man its awful of you to think that I dont even know what day is called in my native tongue :lol:

:rofl: :rofl: I think the chap is overheated :rofl:

@Joe Shearer 1stly I am not a Muhajir....My greatgrand parents moved with their children (my grandparents)....They thought us WE are PAKISTANI....nothing else....We know our roots just for the sake of knowing....

Well, you said that with soo much venom...anyone reading between the lines would have pointed it out :P

Sure, you are Pakistani. So are Punjabis Pakistanis. And the Baloch, and the Pakhtuns, and the Sindhis, but they are all something else as well.

If you don't want to be called Muhajir, that's fine, too. Then none of what I wrote applies to you in any case, and you have nothing to crib about. Not even by twisting and distorting what I wrote. If you are, then what I wrote was a compliment, so now what are you going on about?

It sounds awfully as if you are looking for excuses to take offence, even when this means twisting somebody else's clear words and statements into a pretzel.

@Joe Shearer whos a muhajir?(partition context) I want ur definition! :coffee:

I should define a term used in Pakistan, for some Pakistanis?

Here is the Wikipedia definition:

Muhajir (also known as Urdu-speaking people) (Urdu: مہاجر‎) [literally – migrants] is a term vaguely used by some Pakistanis to describe the immigrants, and especially their descendants, who chose to settle in Pakistan and shifted their domicile after partition of British India to Pakistan. Some had participated in the movement for creation of Pakistan in 1947. Most migrants migrated from the Muslim minority provinces to Muslim majority provinces within British India.
Their principal language is Urdu. Over time, their second and third generations have been assimilated especially in Punjab, Pakistan and now identify themselves as Punjabis with local cultures and traditions. Some still speak Urdu as it is the official language and is widely spoken in almost every city of Punjab. The situation is not the same in Sindh, where successful integration was not possible over time, mainly due to the isolation of the Sindhi- and Urdu-speaking populations in rural and urban areas, respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom