What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
India is constantly trumpeting about its capabilities, etc, yet here we see attempts at outsourcing manufacture of the LCA as HAL is unable to meet the orders placed by the IAF.

India Turns to Overseas Firms to Increase LCA Production Level

Courtesy of DefenceNow

I have a few questions about the LCA's bvr missile
Many sources seem to agree that r77 would be on the tejas but there has been no word from HAL that integration of this missile is taking place, only that the astra and derby have been chosen as the bvr missiles for tejas. does that mean that the r77 is out?? if so then why? it seems on paper to be better than the derby and as we have already integrated the r73 on tejas wouldnt it be easier to integrate another russian missile instead of the israeli one?
And can anyone please confirm the range of the r77....most sources claim 80-90km but i have seen claims as low as 40km to as high as 160km

R-77 is not for Tejas any more.. it is Derby... there are some reasons.. one is HAL's experience in integrating Derby to Indian Navy.. secondly 2032 Radar is compatible with Derby by default.. so less hazzle in integration...

Secondly R-77 integration is tedious and i feel it is not following any standard..

secondly Derby is a ideal missile for Point defence fighters.. while R-77 is for MKI fighters...

As for LCA Derby will be Ideal and Astra will replace them which will become Main stay for our Air force..

India is constantly trumpeting about its capabilities, etc, yet here we see attempts at outsourcing manufacture of the LCA as HAL is unable to meet the orders placed by the IAF.

Courtesy of DefenceNow

We are nothing if not consistent;)

Many sources seem to agree that r77 would be on the tejas but there has been no word from HAL that integration of this missile is taking place, only that the astra and derby have been chosen as the bvr missiles for tejas. does that mean that the r77 is out?? if so then why? it seems on paper to be better than the derby and as we have already integrated the r73 on tejas wouldnt it be easier to integrate another russian missile instead of the israeli one?
And can anyone please confirm the range of the r77....most sources claim 80-90km but i have seen claims as low as 40km to as high as 160km

Hey Jon Snow.the range of the R-77 varies with altitude just like all other AAMs. at sea level the R-77 will have minimum range because at sea level the air is denser so there wil be supersonic drag so less range however say at an altitude of 30000ft it will have significantly more range as the air will be thinner so less drag and on extremely high altitude say 58000ft there be almost no air at all so maximum range.As far as Tejas is concerned the Derby will be its main BVRAAM.the derby is very good because it has a very advanced seeker and highly resistant to ECCM.

Courtesy of DefenceNow

These dialogues and reminders dont suite a nation which hasn't even built an aircraft fuselage by its own.Even if India is trying to source LCA's production abroad it would mean that the aircrafts would come out more quickly.so its good for us.

These dialogues and reminders dont suite a nation which hasn't even built an aircraft fuselage by its own.Even if India is trying to source LCA's production abroad it would mean that the aircrafts would come out more quickly.so its good for us.

Only thing good for us is to scrap everything DRDO is making, scrap DRDO and privatize the whole defense sector. Perhaps then we can actually build something functional and not be laughed by rest of the world.

Only thing good for us is to scrap everything DRDO is making, scrap DRDO and privatize the whole defense sector. Perhaps then we can actually build something functional and not be laughed by rest of the world.

hey jdme,just chill bro.dont care what others say.dogs alwys bark and barking dogs seldom bite.anyways what do you think about the Derby missile on the Tejas.?

hey jdme,just chill bro.dont care what others say.dogs alwys bark and barking dogs seldom bite.anyways what do you think about the Derby missile on the Tejas.?

Clueless about military weapons. This is purely academic anyways. Small chance Indian airforce will see any action in near future.

Clueless about military weapons. This is purely academic anyways. Small chance Indian airforce will see any action in near future.

that is quite true.atleast for now there will only be action just at the diplomatic level.however wars are very bad for all.however the next decade will be very bright for IAF with next gen. Gizmos.i want to fly a PAK FA right now i am in Class-XI and i want to be a pilot in the IAF.

Thanks Everybody for the great replies.
So the R77 is delinked from the lca programme?? if the lca is a point defence fighter then i guess it makes sense but doesnt the iaf want lca mk2 as a mrca and if so shouldnt it be fitted with the best bvr missile at our disposal right now??? guess derby will have to do till astra comes ( god knows when that will be as it took 7 years just to complete ground testing and now flight testing hasnt even begun and after that there will be user trials.... we could be in a wait for a few long years)

The Russian missiles were planed to be integrated from the start of LCA development, once because we have a large stock of them, secondly even the Mig 21 Bisons used them, so replacing them with LCA would not require procuring new weapons. However, the development of LCA is sadly delayed for several years now and it seems IAF wants (maybe have) to replace the Russian missiles now, that's why they want Astra on MKI and for LCA in future anyway. That means, the switch to derby missile might just have logistical reasons and not technical, because derby will be integrated into N - LCA of IN anyway and integrating derby now and astra later for both forces is cheaper, than integrating the R77 for IAF, while derby for IN and astra later for both.

also what about the sustained g limits of the lca? the maximum we have gone till now is 6.9g and there were some comments that the iaf would be happy with a max of a 8g limit...... so is HAL going to leave it at 8g or go for the original plan of 9g??
And can someone tell me if it is possible to lock on to a incoming bvr missile and fire on it by your own bvr missile thus destroying the threat?( sorry for the off topic question but i didnt know where else to post it)

The Russian missiles were planed to be integrated from the start of LCA development, once because we have a large stock of them, secondly even the Mig 21 Bisons used them, so replacing them with LCA would not require procuring new weapons. However, the development of LCA is sadly delayed for several years now and it seems IAF wants (maybe have) to replace the Russian missiles now, that's why they want Astra on MKI and for LCA in future anyway. That means, the switch to derby missile might just have logistical reasons and not technical, because derby will be integrated into N - LCA of IN anyway and integrating derby now and astra later for both forces is cheaper, than integrating the R77 for IAF, while derby for IN and astra later for both.
thanks sancho !!
also about the bolded part... replace the r 77??? with what? astra? from all the paper comparisons i could find of the two missiles it seems the r77 is better by far....unless the rumours that the r 77 have some secret problems making it unusable is true- if so then we have a big problem

Thanks Everybody for the great replies.
So the R77 is delinked from the lca programme?? if the lca is a point defence fighter then i guess it makes sense but doesnt the iaf want lca mk2 as a mrca and if so shouldnt it be fitted with the best bvr missile at our disposal right now??? guess derby will have to do till astra comes ( god knows when that will be as it took 7 years just to complete ground testing and now flight testing hasnt even begun and after that there will be user trials.... we could be in a wait for a few long years)

In case of LCA Mk-2 which will be equipped with a new AESA Radar there would be a whole new range of BVRAAMs.when Tejas Mk-2 would hit production lines in 2016 Astra Mk-2 would be ready,the Meteor can also be integrated into the LCA mk-2 along with the Python-5 and R-73E for WVR engagements.

@JSnow-^^^^I think that the Tejas has software which limits it's G-force exposure and also the maximum speed[which is restricted to Mach 1.6].Hence they will tweak the software part so that the Tejas achieves it's FOC,which requires that it withstands 8G's and AoA of 32(I Think!)degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom