What's new

RIP to Kaveri

China had probably a dozen such engine projects cancelled in the past decades, it is simply the right thing to do.

Congrs to indians, you are now free to start the next engine project and expect another 20-30 years joy.

Thank goodness the Kaveri-1 has been abandoned.

Yeah I am going to draw some flak here...I dont mind. if you want an explaination there is one I have.

You might want to check post #105 and 117 again!

Its the same source Spark mentioned. How come Hindu or Times now is not reporting this? What about blogs like tarmak or broadsword?

Its the same source Spark mentioned. How come Hindu or Times now is not reporting this? What about blogs like tarmak or broadsword?

broadsword has already mentioned this... the test bed in Russia is just to close the requirement deadline set long back...

The project may be dead but the data India has managed to gather from the Kaveri project will prove useful in making future propulsion systems.
Remember hard work never goes to waste.
Good Luck,

The project may be dead but the data India has managed to gather from the Kaveri project will prove useful in making future propulsion systems.
Good Luck,

Gaining experience and data is one thing but pumping money into a rotten organization is another. Bad organizations don't learn and don't gain experience.

Not saying that DRDO is one.

Good Luck,

it will of course be useful, but how useful it will be?
I would say it will be very limited.

the entire project never really progress to the extent that the engine can be fitted on LCA to have a real test flight. so all in all, you can't even call it a prototype, in the best case, they had a plan, they tried a little bit, they then failed.

it will of course be useful, but how useful it will be?
I would say it will be very limited.

the entire project never really progress to the extent that the engine can be fitted on LCA to have a real test flight. so all in all, you can't even call it a prototype, in the best case, they had a plan, they tried a little bit, they then failed.

The engine was basically good to go, if my knowledge is not flawed, it was the fan blades that kept disintegrating because they need ABSOLUTE precision to manufacture. Needless to say, it was difficult for India to emulate the same kind of flawless results as US, UK, China, Russia, etc because the production equipment was not as sophisticated as the former. With time, they will progress and make more sophisticated machines. The next time it will be easier though because they won't have to start from scratch.

The engine was basically good to go, if my knowledge is not flawed, it was the fan blades that kept disintegrating because they need ABSOLUTE precision to manufacture. Needless to say, it was difficult for India to emulate the same kind of flawless results as US, UK, China, Russia, etc because the production equipment was not as sophisticated as the former. With time, they will progress and make more sophisticated machines. The next time it will be easier though because they won't have to start from scratch.

Well lets say Kaveri was something like the GE 404...it was basically a 'leaky' engine...it couldnt sustain the pressure created by the blades. That is why when the M 88 core was offered, GTRE saw an opportunity to learn more from an experienced engine design bureau. So instead of sticking with an older tech we learnt from the program and moved on closing it down.

Back
Top Bottom