What's new

Jayalalithaa calls for a referendum on separate Eelam

Its not mine but my countries image and reasoning, we cannot he held to popular sentiments just by a section of Indian society.

And is that image that important that you are willing to look aside when your people are being killed on the seas by a country that is about the size of Bihar and with 1/5th of the population ?

You have still now answered why I should be beholden to a policy that involves turning a blind eye to the killing of Indian citizens.

It may or may not, but does it hurt?

Eh ?

No you do not have to, but why hate hindi? I understand you guys thought it was a culture invasion but why hate a language to this day?

Who hates Hindi ? Do you even know that most private and govt aided schools in TN teach Hindi as the second language for the students who want to learn it ? Yes, till recently students can choose even not to study Tamil and can choose Hindi alone as their second language with english as the first language. Some schools even offer Sanskrit or French. Some proposals were there to make Tamil compulsory along with optional Hindi, but not sure what happened to it.

How many northern states teach any of the southern languages, let alone Tamil in their school curriculum? Attempts at integration goes both ways.

Truth is we are not misled into "hating Hindi", but you people are misled into thinking "we hate Hindi". We frankly dont care for it. It's just another language in India. I myself have studied Hindi till rashtrabasha (third exam) in private tuitions.

1)if the issue must be resolved there is no other way but to go with srilanka.

2)india too helped srilankans to weed out ltte..so we're equally responsible.

3)I guess u know about the port they're built in lanka and that they can use it even for millitary purpose..

4)If china sides with srilanka..srilanka may behave even adament with india wrt to tamil welfare or anyother..

1) That is what the Lankans want India to think.

2) Plus also in the killings that ensued. Hence it is our moral and diplomatic responsibility to see justice is done to the Tamils.

3) That port is a great example of how China will play a role in Lanka, NO MATTER, what India does. You think they just invested 2+ billion all for nothing. They are in for the long haul and we better wake up now. We can either sit back cowering with fear of what would happen and hence do nothing, or we can take a gamble.

4) Lanka has ALREADY sided with China and China is already firmly entrenched in Lanka. See the writing on the wall please. Plus they are already behaving adamant even w,r,t issues they promised to us like the 13th Amendment.Google Divi Neguma Bill.

China card any one ????

Got a foothold in Sri Lanka
Now a stronghold in Tamilnadu .
Abandon Sri Lanka and help Tamils ...???

And is that image that important that you are willing to look aside when your people are being killed on the seas by a country that is about the size of Bihar and with 1/5th of the population ?

I have not seen these kind of statements coming out of TN when fishermen were getting killed, why not make the right noise at the right time?

Why TN media and its people seem to boil only on the name of Tamilians in SL?

You have still now answered why I should be beholden to a policy that involves turning a blind eye to the killing of Indian citizens.
Answered above.

Who hates Hindi ? Do you even know that most private and govt aided schools in TN teach Hindi as the second language for the students who want to learn it ? Yes, till recently students can choose even not to study Tamil and can choose Hindi alone as their second language with english as the first language. Some proposals were there to make Tamil compulsory along with optional Hindi, but not sure what happened to it.

It has not been so long that I was in Chennai, people are more hostile to us.. I have lived in other cities of south too, ask around if you know folks from IT (Except Tamilians and Keralites) why they hate Chennai.

How many northern states teach any of the southern languages, let alone Tamil in their school curriculum. Attempts at integration goes both ways.
Why should a language spoken in only one state be taught to the whole country whereas a language spoken in almost the whole country should not be taught in one state?
Hindi had the potenial to reach to the common people like in Andhra Pradesh and Kerela but does not, why? None of them lost thier culture, then why the resistance?

Truth is we are not misled into "hating Hindi", but you people are misled into thinking "we hate Hindi". We frankly dont care for it. I myself have studied Hindi till rashtrabasha (third exam) in private tuitions.
at one point you say you do not care for hindi but also at another you do want to make people understand you.. English is not the medium for the masses of India. If there is which can come close it is hindi, it can only help your cause.

Edit: Why not talk a bit about the following too?
My contention is simply to use the channels we have of diplomacy and force them to come to the table, this blatant response to the people's sentiment is making them more aggravated towards us and in the course can and will lead them to forget the reasonable path.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/centra...eferendum-separate-eelam-7.html#ixzz2OpblSWCW

Nothing you suggest above is remotely disagreeable. How best that can be achieved is moot. Your above demands are unexceptionable, none of them is unattainable but the way commonly suggested by pro-intervention Tamils to achieve them is not something that most can support.

Unfortunately that is the only way left as I see it - mostly due to bungling of the diplomatic option by New Delhi over the course of 4 years

had we struck while the iron was still hot (in the immediate aftermath of the war) none of this would have even arisen. But now the steel is cold and tempered with triumphalism and it needs to be heated again to reshape it.

Unfortunately that is the only way left as I see it - mostly due to bungling of the diplomatic option by New Delhi over the course of 4 years

had we struck while the iron was still hot (in the immediate aftermath of the war) none of this would have even arisen. But now the steel is cold and tempered with triumphalism and it needs to be heated again to reshape it.

Maybe but the hot heads in TN are overplaying their cards. There is less & less support in the system as well as in the general public elsewhere in the country for this behavior. Almost everyone here who does not support the extreme position by pro-intervention Tamils has been accused of something or the other. Hardly the best way to get people on your side.

1) That is what the Lankans want India to think.

2) Plus also in the killings that ensued. Hence it is our moral and diplomatic responsibility to see justice is done to the Tamils.

3) That port is a great example of how China will play a role in Lanka, NO MATTER, what India does. You think they just invested 2+ billion all for nothing. They are in for the long haul and we better wake up now. We can either sit back cowering with fear of what would happen and hence do nothing, or we can take a gamble.

4) Lanka has ALREADY sided with China and China is already firmly entrenched in Lanka. See the writing on the wall please. Plus they are already behaving adamant even w,r,t issues they promised to us like the 13th Amendment.Google Divi Neguma Bill.

lanka sided with china because of our stupid foreign policy.u think things will get any better if we go against lanka??that will make things worse not just to the tamils but to the entire country

Your post is highly biased because of some decades old issue that is disappearing now. You typed this post not as a Tamilian, not even as an Indian, but as a ________. So since your primary frame of reference is that, no matter what I say, it would not find resonance with you.

So I would like to disagree with you, say this is not what people in TN feel, that these posts are the actual reflection of most of the people on the ground and move on.

p.s: Your stance on the anti-hindi imposition agitations is pure bull ****. We did what we had to do. Period. We were opposed to forced imposition of Hindi. But even today Hindi is available in schools to children who want to study that. How many Northern states teach Tamil or even one southern language in their curriculum. You may worship Hindi and Sanskrit, but they mean nothing to me. Absolutely nothing.

Karthic,

You can fill in the blanks,i dont mind and nor would any here.

But you have to understand one thing,most of the _______ people even back then did not know hindi and many still don't but they get targeted in this tamil issue purely because they give neutral independent opinions.

Like you say,my _________ identity is very important for me,because thats what denies me livelihood,thats what makes me a target of morons and thats what tells me that even the normal people of TN ll always take the other side even on a unjustified stand.

My father has suffered because of it despite being a naive person not learning Hindi and being a communist during 1975 and for XYZ.

So you want me to honor my linguistic pride and give up my independent opinion,i have given you umpteen number of things as to why i don't but the only thing you can think of is _______.

Is that the guilt conscience of the _______ not people?

see,i can read this as i want too,

so try to look beyond that.

your question as to why don't north indian states teach tamil?

is it practical,seriously?

why do so many north indian states speak the same language or why dont all the south indian states speak the same language?

That would make life better but do you seriously want to play ego boost/bruise here?

do you know how many blue collar people curse this attitude of TN when they move out and have to make a livelihood for themselves?

do you have answer for them,can you keep them all in TN and give them livelihood.

And you can go to community schools run by tamils all over India which teach Tamil.

SIES in Mumbai/Delhi and elsewhere.

and why r u making it a priority thing sanskrit vs tamil,this that?

why should it be a versus?

whats the need for it,one is my mother tongue and the other is spiritual.

People on the ground?

which people on the ground,people fed news by the media controlled by who?

whats their agenda? are we all educated fully on this?

and finally,Do i gain anything by supporting the Sinhalese people or their government?

seriously.

I have not seen these kind of statements coming out of TN when fishermen were getting killed, why not make the right noise at the right time?

Why TN media and its people seem to boil only on the name of Tamilians in SL?

The reason for these agitations are both. Its not only in the name of SL Tamils.

National media is doing a big big disservice to teh country by painting it as one.

And how would we raise our voice ? Any voice that is raised is put down as parochialism, regionalism, chauvinism by Delhi based media and then you have their commentators writing Op-Eds saying the same .

Simply put, there is no honest attempt at actually listening to what we want. How many media,the same who bring in Kashmiri students or Maoist sympathizers, at the drop of a hat even cared to interview any of the agitating students to actually listen to what they want ?
It has not been so long that I was in Chennai, people are more hostile to us.. I have lived in other cities of south too, ask around if you know folks from IT (Except Tamilians and Keralites) why they hate Chennai.

Chennai is hostile to me too. I am coimbatorean. Chennai is the same to all. Plus you dont expect to mouth off Hindi in Chennai and expect people to reply back to you in the same vein. Chennai ites are extremely short tempered people.

Why should a language spoken in only one state be taught to the whole country whereas a language spoken in almost the whole country should not be taught in one state?
Hindi had the potenial to reach to the common people like in Andhra Pradesh and Kerela but does not, why? None of them lost thier culture, then why the resistance?

Again this post illustrates where the fault lies with.

You would want a section of people to learn your language and culture but you would not make any attempt at learning theirs. especially since most of the migration is reverse. And you tell "we hate Hindi" :rolleyes:. Please understand that Hindi may have a special place to you, but to non-Hindi speakers, its just another language. It holds no significance to them. If they want they will learn it themselves.

And how is it exactly resistance when Hindi is already taught in almost all English medium schools ? Did you read my post ?

My contention is simply to use the channels we have of diplomacy and force them to come to the table,

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/centra...eferendum-separate-eelam-7.html#ixzz2Ope54E8g

its been 4 years, can you list out anything that our "vaunted" diplomacy has achieved ? The fisherman killings have stopped ? Any of the war crimes accounted for ? The promised devolution of power taken place ? The Tamil areas been demilitarized ? The cultural aggression stopped ?

Wat has your diplomacy achieved so far ? On what basis should I keep believing in it ?

and in Karthic's defence,

North Indians indeed are a racist bunch and are often poisoned in their childhood with random theories worth ****.

Many Tamils get racially abused in North India but my point is that if we are cooler,we should actually be instead of getting into their heat.

lanka sided with china because of our stupid foreign policy.u think things will get any better if we go against lanka??that will make things worse not just to the tamils but to the entire country

You think things will get any better if we keep sitting tight ?

And dont worry, we will be the ones to get affected first in case of chinese hold in Lanka. But the truth is bending over backwards to Lanka is not going to solve anything. Rather it will only betray our weakness where we are willing to be blackmailed.

That means nothing. Even if TN farmers grew 3 crops as opposed to Karnataka farmers, how does that automatically entitle a TN farmer to make more money as opposed to a Karnataka farmer eking out an existence. I point this out only to show the hollowness of that argument. If the Kaveri tribunal has decided something & the Central government notified it, we must learn to accept it (sometimes with a heavy heart & feeling hard done) and move on. There will never be a decision that satisfies everyone. The SC has held something similar in the Mullaperiyar dam case too.That acceptance of a decision on national interests however should also be true in other matters. No one in Kerala or Karnataka talks secession the moment a decision goes against them. That should hold true for everyone in India.

so whats the problem?

Less water in the cauvery?

Karthic,

But you have to understand one thing,most of the _______ people even back then did not know hindi and many still don't but they get targeted in this tamil issue purely because they give neutral independent opinions.

Like you say,my _________ identity is very important for me,because thats what denies me livelihood,thats what makes me a target of morons and thats what tells me that even the normal people of TN ll always take the other side even on a unjustified stand.

My father has suffered because of it despite being a naive person not learning Hindi and being a communist during 1975 and for XYZ.

So you want me to honor my linguistic pride and give up my independent opinion,i have given you umpteen number of things as to why i don't but the only thing you can think of is _______.

why do so many north indian states speak the same language or why dont all the south indian states speak the same language?

That would make life better but do you seriously want to play ego boost/bruise here?

do you know how many blue collar people curse this attitude of TN when they move out and have to make a livelihood for themselves?

do you have answer for them,can you keep them all in TN and give them livelihood.

And you can go to community schools run by tamils all over India which teach Tamil.

People on the ground?

and finally,Do i gain anything by supporting the Sinhalese people or their government?

seriously.

I stand by my pov on the Hindi issue. Its just another language to me. I dont love it. I dont hate it. I will use it if I need it for my betterment. But i absolutely hate those who try to speak from a high ground, who want people to learn other's culture, ridicule them if they dont and not do what they preach themselves

Do the TN Tamils support her decision & when are the dam elections in TN going to happen

I, will prefer for accountabality for war dead and implementation of 13th amendment. Independent Eelam is not gonna happen, atleast for now. Its the reality. And these goons are playing politics very well.

They can instead demand an economic sanctions, in case the above two things doesnt happen. Referendrum, will have adverse effects after all in various parts of our nation.

Karthic,

People on the ground?

seriously.

Sis - if there is a necessity, one will learn a language - l had to learn Spanish because I was travelling to Central America couple of weeks ago else I would not have thought about learning that language - beyond that no need for Hindi and learn Hindi like how I learnt - through Hindi Prachar Sabha - no one in TN is stopping anyone from learning Hindi. So if the blue collar, white collar workers want to move out of TN and work elsewhere let them learn Hindi. At that point, it becomes a necessity - Till then it is seen of more as a cultural invasion when it is forced upon the people in TN.

@KS - wrote to you.

Back
Top Bottom