How is the plan?

• Good

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Average

Votes: 53 20.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 47 18.0%

• Total voters
Unfortunate news. Imagine the fight began, and the Indian guys realized the Chinese manager was a Kung Fu Master. Oh man, that would suck bigtime.

female panda style... hayya! game over.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/with-dimsums-and-noodles-at-home-in-haryana/434721/0
with-dimsums-and-noodles-at-home-in-haryana
Khanpur Khurd, a village in Haryana’s semi-arid district of Jhajjar, doesn’t have pucca roads, has nothing in the name of a school or hospital and has no water or electricity. But these days, the villagers are getting a taste of China, thanks to a bunch of Chinese engineers working on a power project in the village.

Late last year, the Haryana government had approved the construction of a 1,320 MW thermal power project in the village and awarded the contract to Hong Kong-based China Light and Power Company. Before work began in November 2008, the villagers watched curiously as a team of Chinese engineers, architects and managers descended on the village. They had to remain in India till the completion of the project and had initially planned to stay in Delhi and travel down to the village for work. But they were put off by the idea of travelling eight hours every day and decided to pitch their tents in Khanpur Khurd.

“Eventually, these 10-odd people decided to take a two-storied house in the village on rent. They brought a Chinese cook and started living there since it was also close to the plant. Gradually, many more of their teams arrived and today there are close to 50 Chinese living here. Now they are building their own quarters close to the plant,” says Satyender Duhan, Sub Divisional Magistrate of Jhajjar.

The 50-member team seems to have taken a liking for their new ‘home’. Thirty-year-old Pan Xuan, who is from Shandong in China, is General Manager, Administration, and one of the few of them who can speak English. “We may have to be here for about three years. We could have stayed in Delhi but we are glad we decided against it. Living here has been a great experience—that is, if you ignore the rodents and cobras,” he smiles. “We eat their food, especially the sweets, and they love our noodles and dimsums.”

The villagers too are happy with their guests, who barter their Chinese rice with fresh fruits and vegetables. They have also taught the local boys basketball and football. “After work, there isn’t much to do here so we built a basketball court and the villagers play with us. We also play football. The villagers are excellent athletes and sturdy fellows; they often get the better of us,” says Zhan Lei, an engineer working on the site.

The language barrier has been gradually overcome. “We don’t know their language and they don’t know ours. So in the last three to four months, we have developed our own sign language,” says Ashok Kumar, the sarpanch of Khanpur Khurd, which has around 500 families. Kumar says the plant has helped villagers get jobs as construction workers and technicians.

This synergy has helped the project. Recently, when a road had to be widened for the plant, the contractor wanted a banyan tree, which was revered by the villagers, removed. Eventually, the visitors used their technical know-how to uproot the tree in a manner that it could be successfully transplanted on the other side of the road.

But there are times when they get on each other’s nerves. “Indians dance and sing on slightest pretext. During weddings, the music blares full volume and we have a difficult time. The days leading up to Diwali were irksome. The local villagers would gather every night and organise some play and the loud speaker would go on till late at night. It went on for 10 days,” says Xuan, referring to Ram Lila.

But these are merely quibbles, says Zhang Lui, a woman working on the project. “I like it here. Lack of amenities isn’t a big problem. We anyway work from eight in the morning to 10 at night. We have televisions, computers and telephones to stay in touch back home. We occasionally go to Delhi or to nearby towns to replenish our supplies. So it is working out well. We tried living in Delhi—it is chaotic and ******. It is polluted like many of the towns in China and we have never seen a star-lit sky while we were there.”

The local administration says it is trying its best to make sure the guests have a comfortable stay. Deepinder Hooda, Member Parliament from the region, says, “The fact that these people are living here, away from their families, shows their commitment. They are working to make this village a power hub. Right opposite this power project, is another one being developed by NTPC.”

Here it seems that the Chinese Engineers have handled the local sensitivities very well.

Last edited:
Dear Friends!
AOA,
I am a Pakistani citizen presently residing in China. I wonder if it's safe to travel to India for business meetings. I am interested in exporting to Indian market but a little hesitant to travel there. Can you please advise me about this? How about if a Pakistani citizen wants to set up a compny in India and stay there long term? Thank you very much in advance.
Best Regards

India is safe. Now that the elections are also over its perfectly safe.
If you are coming to the south, its perfectly safe. If the places you are going are somewhere into Naxalite areas which is very unlikely for a business trip, I can suggest some precautions.:)

Even for long term settlement, India is perfectly safe, unless you want to walk before the Shiv Sena members with Pakistani flag on your shirt.:lol:

All the best with your trip.:tup:
Enjoy...

Dear Friends!
AOA,
I am a Pakistani citizen presently residing in China. I wonder if it's safe to travel to India for business meetings. I am interested in exporting to Indian market but a little hesitant to travel there. Can you please advise me about this? How about if a Pakistani citizen wants to set up a compny in India and stay there long term? Thank you very much in advance.
Best Regards

Noticed that this is ur 1st post.. so hello & welcome.

On the issue you have raised, your location says " Lahore".....

As mentioned in posts # 2 & 3, India is a perfectly safe place to travel & do business. You will be pleasantly surprised how things are.

Monday, May 18, 2009

MUMBAI: Investor wealth soared by a whopping Rs four lakh crore within seconds of opening of trade on the Bombay Stock Exchange, as the markets were elated at the decisive win of the ruling UPA Government in the general elections.

The total investors' wealth, measured in terms of combined market capitalisation of all the listed companies, has increased by over Rs 4,08,410.60 crore in the opening trade to Rs 42,15,354.29 crore.

The 30-share Bombay Stock Exchange Sensex zoomed 1,305.97 points at 13,479.39, hitting the upper circuit within seconds of opening of trade, following which trading was halted for two hours.

Ashika Stock Brokers Research Head Mr Paras Bothra said “the buying spree is likely to continue after the market reopens and may touch another circuit limit.'' He further said “very low volumes were traded as most investors could not engage in any buyin g activity as the markets hit its upper circuit within seconds.''

Further, the 30 Sensex companies, which account for over 47 per cent of the total market capitalization of all the companies, saw their combined market valuation rise by nearly two lakh crore in the opening trade today.

The Hindu Business Line : Investors' wealth swells by Rs 4 lakh cr within seconds

Dear Friends!
AOA,
Best Regards

It is. By the way, where are you going?

skull - congrats bro - but i think its still notthe time to sell - if you are long term investor.

my LARSON & TOUBRO , DLF, ICICI , BHEL - all gone up .

Dear Friends!
AOA,
Best Regards

welcome to india.
don't worry. if actor and singers can work here then what's wrong with business.

Back
Top Bottom