What's new

India could test Kaveri engine on Tejas by end-2013

At least 5 billion US dollars are needed for developing a modern aero engine from scratch to finish。

So India has got a long long long way to go。

It would be a major achievement on India's part if the engine in question reaches operational use before 2020.

I think it will be alot better if instead of single engine Tejas they could use twin engine jet like Mig 29 for engine Test...

Ok, but it must be not "some", but a big amount of weight! The M88-Eco engine with 60kN dry and 90kN AB thrust had a weight of around 1000Kg, just to point out the difference.

What if we decide to go for full indigenous in engine and sacrifice some loading weight for AMCA?

Whats the status of M88 Eco?

Developed as a tech demo engine, some features will be added into the M88-2 upgrade now of Rafale F3+, but French forces don't need the additional thrust yet and French nobody else is ready to fund the development. However, if we take it's core for Kaveri K10, things can be different.

I don't think cut weight without reducing thrust power is not gonna be possible in Kaveri case, might be the improved type.

Remember Infia fighter engine is lagging behind china. Long way to go ya!

Actually we are shortly behind you, your engines don't offer enough thrust either, are often heavier than the Russian once they should replace and according to Pakistani reports are not reliable enough. The lack of access to partners makes this a big issue for you, that's why your helicopter developments had problems too or why you keep procuring Russian engines for many different aircrafts.

Just shows that spending money alone in indigenous developments is not equal to decades of experience and that China and Indian have a long way to go till we catch up with Russia and the west.

What if we decide to go for full indigenous in engine and sacrifice some loading weight for AMCA?

What's the point? Having a less capable fighter just to say we have a fully indigenous engine? Wars won't be won with words, but with capable forces and therefor we must get rid of this indigenous pride mentality. LCA and AMCA would be indigenous fighters, even if they had a Israeli radar and an US engine isn't it?

Please answer this ^^^
@sancho
@DrSomnath999

Imagine Snemca M88(current rafale engine) and Kaveri has same weight.
Kaveri produces 52.02kn thrust without AB and 81.02 kn with AB. So twin engines will produce 104.04 kn thrust without AB and 162 kn with AB opposed to M88's 50 x 2=100 kn without AB and 75 x 2= 150 kn with AB. So Rafale will be even more better with kaveri than M88 given it sheds some weight. Correct me if i am wrong!

well mate

M88 2 has 75KN with AB but M88 3 has 90KN with AB yes M88 eco is slight heavier

but things that makes M88 engine superior is
1)it's better engine TBO KAVErI :less

2) supercruise engine, kaveri :NO

3) with 2 cooling channels far less IR signature KAVERI :NO

4) it's scenema FADEC is much superior to kaveri

Last edited by a moderator:
Yahoo!
Its an old news. Kaveri will be integrated with LSP 2 mostly.

And btw.. this is fresh news.

(Earlier news was from Antony stating in parliament that Kaveri will be integrated with one of the Tejas prototypes).

Now they have actually begun integrating.

Developing an engine is one part of the game .... and integrating it with the aircraft is another.

The "K-9" and "K-10" programmes are running separately, which is to increase the thrut-to-weight of Kaveri to 9 and 10 respectively.

This project is to integrate the engine to the fighter jet. A first time by HAL .... for the GE404 and GE414 engines, GE consulted on the integration.

Btw.. in a later news, DRDO chief already said that the current Kaveri can cover atleast 76% of Tejas' flight envolope.

Kaveri engine is great achievement .. and continues to grow further ....

well mate

M88 2 has 75KN with AB but M88 3 has 90KN with AB yes M88 eco is slight heavier

but things that makes M88 engine superior is
1)it's better engine TBO KAVErI :less

2) supercruise engine, kaveri :NO

3) with 2 cooling channels far less IR signature KAVERI :NO

4) it's scenema FADEC is much superior to kaveri

So kaveri has a long way to go!

Dunno WHAT THE FCUK is wrong with this Kaveri engines.. we have one of the world's best mettalurgy faculties ( read IIT Kanpur, IIT Bombay ) .. and seriously, money is not an issue by a long shot either..

What is the root cause is all the diploma (lackadaisical) people who were recruited in 90s who are now occupying senior positions in these organizations.. and frankly as much I am educated, no way I am gonna take orders from these dumbfcuks...

We need to come up with a new ADA/ GTRE equivalent soon.. will ensure healthy competition also !!

Dunno WHAT THE FCUK is wrong with this Kaveri engines.. we have one of the world's best mettalurgy faculties ( read IIT Kanpur, IIT Bombay ) .. and seriously, money is not an issue by a long shot either..

What is the root cause is all the diploma (lackadaisical) people who were recruited in 90s who are now occupying senior positions in these organizations.. and frankly as much I am educated, no way I am gonna take orders from these dumbfcuks...

We need to come up with a new ADA/ GTRE equivalent soon.. will ensure healthy competition also !!

The worst thing is, GoI doesn't provide much funding to Universities for research and development, unlike US.

^^ IAF already rejected such proposal since DRDO will not be contributing much to Kaveri then, if Snecma steps in.

well if india tie with scenema thinks may improve until then no body can say anything

things won't magically improve with kaveri in a day.. the core of Kaveri wasn't designed to provide that much thrust.. PERIOD.

if we need something "indigenous" we need to come up with something new with FULL EXPERIENCE of KAveri thrown in !!

Back
Top Bottom