What's new

Hindi and Urdu words learning thread.

antar = Inner
Vasna = Desire

Now that I have translated this in English , Your turn to translate it in URDU.:cheers:

That would be khaahish e baatinii-خواھشِ باطنی.

I'm editing my post on the basis of the post quoted below:
AntarVasna = Lust (English) = Hawas(Urdu)

My translation was literal, now it appears that the context is limited to a sexual craving, it might be apt to suggest a more appropriate term: shehwat-شہوت- though many people use the non-technical term khaahish e nafsaanii-خواھشِ نفسانی. hawas-ہوس- is not sexual desire, it is a *general* overpowering, consuming desire.

AntarVas = inner garments of female

Does vas mean clothes? If so, it is a calque from Latin (also present in old English as vestiments).
Thanks.

Last edited:
That would be khaahish e baatinii-خواھشِ باطنی.

:lol::lol: - Good Translation :lol::lol: - Highly Accurate

i guess its better to say "Khuwahish-e-Nafs" as it has got more to do with Nafs. (I know nafs means something else but looking at the context Nafs suits better)

:lol::lol: - Good Translation :lol::lol: - Highly Accurate

i guess its better to say "Khuwahish-e-Nafs" as it has got more to do with Nafs. (I know nafs means something else but looking at the context Nafs suits better)

No "JISM KI AAG" is better to use

What is written in there ^?

I guess you do not read Arabic. :cry:

Astaghfirullah. أستغفر الله

اسغفر الله العضيم Astagfirullah al azim. More complete.

I ask Allah's forgiveness........:cry:

Last edited:
But some people here in India would pronounce such words like Jyada as you have correctly mentioned. Zyaada is coreect and Jyaada is phonetically incorrect.

Is there any Z sound in Hindi. :undecided:

I find people of Guratai (indian) origin pronounce "Z" sound with J sound although northern Indian pronounce Z like Z.

Is there any Z sound in Hindi. :undecided:

I find people of Guratai (indian) origin pronounce "Z" sound with J sound although northern Indian pronounce Z like Z.

yes it is there. Each and every word can be written in devanagri actually. but the thing is the diffrence between the two is just of a dot below "ja" an alphabet in hindi. if we put a dot below "ja" it becomes "za".

Zakir one question i know that Allah and Khuda are the same but what is the difference? I mean why some call Allah and others Khuda?

and what is the meaning of Al i mean like you using al for Quran Sharif. I intially thought it is used to give respect but as i know you dont like Hasina and all but you used the same for her also and confused the sh!t out of me. can you please clarify

Zakir one question i know that Allah and Khuda are the same but what is the difference? I mean why some call Allah and others Khuda?

Allah is the direct name of God - in Arabic = It is like God's name is ALLAH

Khuda is a persian word of God = It is not among the names of Allah but is the closest name of God in Persian language

It is like Allah is ALLAH. God is the closest word of Allah in English Language and Khuda in Persian language. However the right name of God is ALLAH

Allah is the direct name of God - in Arabic = It is like God's name is ALLAH

Khuda is a persian word of God = It is not among the names of Allah but is the closest name of God in Persian language

It is like Allah is ALLAH. God is the closest word of Allah in English Language and Khuda in Persian language. However the right name of God is ALLAH

and i guess the words kuffar and kaafir are the same. and acts of kuffar are called kufra?

and i guess the words kuffar and kaafir are the same. and acts of kuffar are called kufra?

Kafir = Non Believer (Singular)
Kuffar = Non Believers (Plural)

I have heard the word "Kuffra" - i guess its a typing error (typo)

On 'khappay', there is a somewhat similar term used in North India - 'khapna'

So if you say that 'yeh nahi khapta' it means, you don't accept it.

I wonder if the two words are the same/ have the same roots.

On 'khappay', there is a somewhat similar term used in North India - 'khapna'

So if you say that 'yeh nahi khapta' it means, you don't accept it.

I wonder if the two words are the same/ have the same roots.

i don't think so. In Urdu - Khappay means - someone is trapped in the trouble - and may he never come out.

But the khappay he asked in the previous post is derived/originated from Sindhi language meaning "Chahiye" or "Want".

i don't think so. In Urdu - Khappay means - someone is trapped in the trouble - and may he never come out.

But the khappay he asked in the previous post is derived/originated from Sindhi language meaning "Chahiye" or "Want".

I see, thanks.

On a related note - and at the risk of having my post deleted and/ or taking the thread in the 'wrong direction' - I wonder where the word 'tharak'/ 'tharki'' came from. Is it Punjabi?

All of this in the spirit of scientific inquiry of course. :D

And while we're at it, north Indian slang for a drunk is 'tulli'. Is it that same in some parts of Pakistan?

On a related note - and at the risk of having my post deleted and/ or taking the thread in the 'wrong direction' - I wonder where the word 'tharak'/ 'tharki'' came from. Is it Punjabi?

All of this in the spirit of scientific inquiry of course. :D

And while we're at it, north Indian slang for a drunk is 'tulli'. Is it that same in some parts of Pakistan?

and the local word for local alcohol is tharra. adhi for the half bottle pona for quarter bottle. :lol: Is it same across?

Back
Top Bottom