What's new

FC-20 needs a partner!

Did you see word FC-20 in my post? I think No. Only thing i am trying to say is China has develop and deploy AESA on board J-10A and J-10B which many thinks will be FC-20 for PAF will also have same or better one. What all this issue has to do with TT members? Sources are same for such information.
You are just being stubborn now. You have clearly been harping about FC-20 being the exact same thing as J-10B without any western systems. And now for the sake of winning the argument or (no i am right attitude) you are simply overruling facts.
Next you post this news item I don't know from where but Thanks anyhow as it will make my work easier... Know just look at parts I highlighted.
Its not my problem you are not familiarized with anything. the source is already in my post = AFM = Air Froce Monthly which is a very credible most authentic defence source like Jane's.
How come Final configuration has been worked out without 100% grantee of getting an AESA?
Only possibility is PAF has finalized its requirements about FC-20. It still don't have a clue where these requirements will be met from.
Last line of your source clearly saying it all... Only way FC-20 can get AESA from West is if suppliers (Read Western governments) are willing to sell otherwise it will all come back to Chinese AESA.

http://www.ideaspakistan.gov.pk/ideas2008/downloads/IDEAS2008_EventBulletin_2.pdf

Meanwhile, France has offered Pakistan
its RC-400 radar and MBDA MICA missile
for the aircraft. However, AESA radar of different
makes have also been offered to
the Pakistan Air Force and the MBDA Meteor
missile too is on the cards. Pakistan
has begun negotiations with British, Italian,
and French defence firms over potential
avionics and other systems for the JF-
17 Thunder aircrafts.
How is that western companies have already offered their radars to PAF for its JF-17 program but are reluctant to offer another for FC-20? Why is that PAF can gain access to Europe's one of the best AESA system the Erieye but cant get one for FC-20?
As you don't provided any link but still this is all what PAF was thinking back in 2008. What about Chinese side?? Are they willing to let this happen?
By the time China comes up with AESA radar for non 5th generation fighters west will be ahead to 2nd and 2.5 generation AESA radars while J-10 will stuck with 1st generation. Chinese option will the the last resort and hopefully PAF will be able to find more advance AESA system for FC-20.

You are just being stubborn now. You have clearly been harping about FC-20 being the exact same thing as J-10B without any western systems. And now for the sake of winning the argument or (no i am right attitude) you are simply overruling facts.
I was referring to last post of mine in that particular replay to you. next i am certain J-10B will be called FC-20 like Thunders have two names one for PLAAF and other for PAF.
Its not my problem you are not familiarized with anything. the source is already in my post = AFM = Air Froce Monthly which is a very credible most authentic defence source like Jane's.
I know about AFM... But do you seriously think that AFM will post news like this?? Where is direct link or scan of AFM site or mag?? Next i have told you that this is what PAF wanted real thing is if China would allow this to happen to their primary fighter jet.

How is that western companies have already offered their radars to PAF for its JF-17 program but are reluctant to offer another for FC-20? Why is that PAF can gain access to Europe's one of the best AESA system the Erieye but cant get one for FC-20?

So which Western Radar JF-17 has got finally. Lol Even Girfo S7 was turned down in favor of KLJ-7 and now it has been replaced by KLJ-10 already. Don't this speak for something?? Next, Offering is one thing getting is another. But still i hope JF-17 will get Selex Vixen 500 or Vixen 1000 AESA in future batches.

By the time China comes up with AESA radar for non 5th generation fighters west will be ahead to 2nd and 2.5 generation AESA radars while J-10 will stuck with 1st generation. Chinese option will the the last resort and hopefully PAF will be able to find more advance AESA system for FC-20.

China has already up with AESA on J-10A since 2007. Testing it out though...Now where is 2nd and 2.5th gen. AESA? BTW, What is exact difference between first and 2nd gen AESA?

I think Gripen NG was first time when world come to know about this so called 2nd Generation AESA radar.
Let's have a look at it.

Improved TargeT Tracking
With the inherent beam agility, target tracking
can be more adaptive and time efficient. This
will increase the radar tracking performance in
a dense target environment. This facilitates the
ability to choose the right target for weapon
engagement, and to prepare the weapon with
more accurate data i.e. enhance the fire control
capability.
The beam agility will also increase the capability
to perform search for new targets within a larger
search volume while retaining the target track
updates for current tracks. This will increase the
pilot’s situation awareness.
Wide fIeld of regard
With the swashplate solution the Gripen NG
AESA radar has the ability to cover a scan angle
up to ±100°. This will increase situation awareness
and be used to increase the quality of SAR
images. In BVR combat, wide angle scan also
allows the aircraft to maintain track on the target
whilst executing a 90° manoeuvre. This minimises
closure rate with the target, places one’s own aircraft
in the enemy’s clutter return and still allows
full guidance of BVR missiles.
mode flexibility
With the beam agility it is possible to interleave
different modes. This capability further increases
the situation awareness for the pilot. For example,
the pilot can use Air-to-Ground modes in parallel
to Air-to-Air search and track.
LoW probability of intercept
The AESA radar has qualities that makes the
aircraft more difficult to detect by an enemy and
thereby increases the aircrafts survivability. These
qualities include lower radar cross section, ability
to operate with reduced output power levels
and side-lobe levels, and the agile beam used for
random search and track patterns.
Saab and SeleX Galileo in
collAborAtive development
Saab and SELEX Galileo are to enter collaborative
development of an Active Electronically
Scanned Array (AESA) Radar for the Gripen
Next Generation (NG) programme. The wide
radar experience from both SELEX Galileo and
the Saab Business Unit; Saab Microwave Systems
will be combined in the joint radar development
program. The AESA radar will be based on the
SELEX Galileo Vixen AESA radar using functionality
from the Vixen program, PS-05/A and other
programs from both companies.

Increased detection range
Flexible beam and waveform control makes it
possible to optimize modes for long and short
range target acquisition. The AESA system is
also able to be cued by other onboard sensors,
eg Infra-Red Search and Track (IRST) or by data
from off-board resources such as Erieye. This will
increase the pilot’s situation awareness and make
it possible to take action earlier.
Improved electronic counter counter measures
Future adaptive beam forming facilitate improved
target detection in presence of several jammer
signals. Situation awareness can then be maintained
even in a dense RF-environment. This is
important for survivability.
Increased operational availability
The modular design of the antenna, including
the large numbers of transmit/receive modules,
ensures graceful degradation. This means that the
antenna will maintain excellent performance even
with a percentage of failures. This ensures high
availability which is an essential pre-requisite for
high intensity operations.
The Gripen NG radar will include the innovative
swashplate feature which significantly increases
the radar performance at high angles off aircraft
boresight. This will improve situational awareness
through a wider coverage area and gives better
quality SAR images at wider angles. In BVR combat
the wide field of regard also enables tactics to
be optimised.

http://www.gripen.com/NR/rdonlyres/8E6558AC-0EF7-42D1-8C85-F587B1C440D0/0/090409_Gripen_NG_AESA_Radar.pdf
To be honest I don't see any additional feature in this 2nd generation AESA on Gripen NG other than what first gen AESA has. I really want to learn difference between first and 2nd gen. AESA.. Hope you will elaborate in your5 reply.

If you still want to have a hope for AESA on FC-20 from West pray that China do allow us to modify their fighters.

I was referring to last post of mine in that particular replay to you
You are very confusing.
next i am certain J-10B will be called FC-20 like Thunders have two names one for PLAAF and other for PAF.
Its more then just the names.
I know about AFM... But do you seriously think that AFM will post news like this?? Where is direct link or scan of AFM site or mag?? Next i have told you that this is what PAF wanted real thing is if China would allow this to happen to their primary fighter jet.
ufff.. oh boy...
AFM magazine Sep 08 issue, unfortunately i do not have the magazine for myself so can not full fill your request for providing you the link. The news was published here by a very respected member.

So which Western Radar JF-17 has got finally. Lol Even Girfo S7 was turned down in favor of KLJ-7 and now it has been replaced by KLJ-10 already. Don't this speak for something?? Next, Offering is one thing getting is another. But still i hope JF-17 will get Selex Vixen 500 or Vixen 1000 AESA in future batches.
The basic first.

First 50 Batch is entirly Chinese systems
Next batch is with proposed RC-400 MICA and western avionics
Next batch is most likely to be with western AESA

To be honest I don't see any additional feature in this 2nd generation AESA on Gripen NG other than what first gen AESA has. I really want to learn difference between first and 2nd gen. AESA.. Hope you will elaborate in your5 reply.

If you still want to have a hope for AESA on FC-20 from West pray that China do allow us to modify their fighters.

The second generation Gripen AESA radar is mounted on a swashplate - that says it all. The swashplate enables the radar to rotate this enhances search volume, improves coverage and provides better quality SAR images. I don’t understand how you fail to see this as 'additional feature'? :what:

Why wouldn't China allow a western vendor to modify the FC-20? The most important piece of IP for the AESA is the source code and I doubt China will give that to Pakistan.

Last edited:
Current JF-17 is far batter then Indian Mig 21 Biason, Mirage, Mig 29, Mig 27 and Jaguar. The only aircraft in IAF which is superior then FC-20 is MKI :azn:

SIR PLZ EXPL. HOW OR GIVE ME ONLY ONE LINK ABOUT ITS SUPERIORTY.

REGARDS

Current JF-17 is far batter then Indian Mig 21 Biason, Mirage, Mig 29, Mig 27 and Jaguar. The only aircraft in IAF which is superior then FC-20 is MKI :azn:

SIR PLZ EXPL. HOW OR GIVE ME ONLY ONE LINK ABOUT ITS SUPERIORTY.

REGARDS

and what is important is that SU30 MKI is made in India , Fc-20 or F-16 is made in china OR U.S, not in Pak:chilli::azn:

Last edited:
Does FC-20 have DSI intakes that would also reduce its frontal aspect rcs? If it does then it would be a serious adventage over most mrca fighters in bvr mode(TV is an equalizer) with the condition that radars are of the same capability. If their radar is more powerful lower rcs is an equalizer.
Also good thing about aesa is that if you can design an accurate rwr you can install it to even older generation fighters making it an equalizer against the emerging 5th generation threats. As long as they open their radar you can go upwards or to a lower altitude revealing the larger upper or lower parts of the low observable aircraft and focus most of your radars energy towards that bearing getting the range info and launching your missiles as well. If rwr is too difficult to develop in short term considering the budget etc. then sams having aesa radars won't be located by 5th gens and they will do most of the job in that case.

Back
Top Bottom