What's new

ASEAN as Defence Bloc?

Did you just say a Communist country like Vietnam is going to lead a bloc? With their economy?:undecided:

That´s true our economy is behind some of ASEAN members, but we are improving.

Anyway for leading a defence bloc, the only thing that matters is the army from the country with the strongest Army personnel. And there is no doubt that is Vietnam.

If such a bloc were to be formed, would it be wrong in assuming that it would necessarily be anti-china? Afterall, a number of these nations are wary of China, given its growing might and terrotorial disputes.

1)Against whom it will be aligned?ASEAN will need backing of some big military power,may be china or U.S.

2)If its against china,there are few pro china members in ASEAN like cambodia.

3) Unity among asean members?

The bloc would be only for self-defence. Not against others in the region nor used to attack.

If such a bloc were to be formed, would it be wrong in assuming that it would necessarily be anti-china? Afterall, a number of these nations are wary of China, given its growing might and terrotorial disputes.

No, it would not target China. It would serve as deterrence.

That´s true our economy is behind some of ASEAN members, but we are improving.

Anyway for leading a defence bloc, the only thing that matters is the army from the country with the strongest Army personnel. And there is no doubt that is Vietnam.

How is Vietnam going to stop a three way war between Malaysia-Singapore-Indonesia? Or help Phillipines fight their communist rebels (Vietnam is communist) or prevent a war between thailand and cambodia? or ask for democracy for Burma when Vietnam has no democracy at all. I said this whole idea is nonsense from the start because you negate other countries interests.

No, it would not target China. It would serve as deterrence.

That's just a politically correct way of stating the obvious.

Anyways, I'm sure India would be very interested in such an endeavor, if such a bloc were to have an anti-china orientation.

How is Vietnam going to stop a three way war between Malaysia-Singapore-Indonesia? Or help Phillipines fight their communist rebels (Vietnam is communist) or prevent a war between thailand and cambodia? or ask for democracy for Burma when Vietnam has no democracy at all. I said this whole idea is nonsense from the start because you negate other countries interests.

Similar to Japan-China, a war between Greece and Turkey (both NATO members) cannot be ruled out because of their disputes. Just check their defence spendings and their army positions at the borders!

Will NATO intervene? No!

Again, a defence bloc would be primarily served as deterrence, just in case a member country would be attacked by a foreign non-member force.

Anyways, I'm sure India would be very interested in such an endeavor, if such a bloc were to have an anti-china orientation.

Anti China means you become closer with the US and further away from SCO and Islamic world. There are no 'best of both worlds' scenarios and Indian leaders know it which is why they actively pursue an invitation to join SCO which is funnily enough led by China and Russia. I actually think India is strongly pursueing great ties with China because they know that they are neck deep in sh1t such as Islamic militancy, naxalites, North East Separatists, Pakistan, malnourishment etc so they don't want any more crap on their plate which is understandable.

Well, I try to say diplomatic.:lol:
India is welcome!

Anti China means you become closer with the US and further away from SCO and Islamic world. There are no 'best of both worlds' scenarios and Indian leaders know it which is why they actively pursue an invitation to join SCO which is funnily enough led by China and Russia. I actually think India is strongly pursueing great ties with China because they know that they are neck deep in sh1t such as Islamic militancy, naxalites, North East Separatists, Pakistan, malnourishment etc so they don't want any more crap on their plate which is understandable.

There are way too many assumptions in that sentence for it to make any sense.

Besides, let's stop flaming each other over a hypothetical geo-political arrangement. I'm not a fan of the word "IF".

Similar to Japan-China, a war between Greece and Turkey (both NATO members) cannot be ruled out because of their disputes. Just check their defence spendings and their army positions at the borders!

Will NATO intervene? No!

Again, a defence bloc would be primarily served as deterrence, just in case a member country would be attacked by a foreign non-member force.

Dude you still, still don't get it! When Turkey invaded Greece the US AKA superpower could just say stop it u stupid kids and make them stop. If sh1t hits the fan like i said earlier:

who is going to stop them from fighting? whats going to happen when Malaysia and Indonesia say that Muslims are ill treated in other ASEAN nations like Phillipines and Burma and wants the Muslims there to have their own land? Whats going to happen when Singapore decides to attack Malaysia because malaysia cut its water resources off? Is Vietnam going to come in with its rust bucket airforce and patrol the skies above ASEAN? Is Vietnam going to tell Burma to stop killing its own citizens and form a democracy? How about when Thailand decides its had enough of the temple skirmishes and invades cambodia? Or Thailand decides its had enough of its souther islamic militancy and invades Malaysia? give me a break already man the world is too complicated to just set up a random bloc for ur entertainment purposes.

I don't like obese people either but that doesn't mean that obesity is the new sexy

You like or not, obese people think less about sex and try them best to practice sport for their best muscle.:P

Dude you still, still don't get it! When Turkey invaded Greece the US AKA superpower could just say stop it u stupid kids and make them stop. If sh1t hits the fan like i said earlier:

who is going to stop them from fighting? whats going to happen when Malaysia and Indonesia say that Muslims are ill treated in other ASEAN nations like Phillipines and Burma and wants the Muslims there to have their own land? Whats going to happen when Singapore decides to attack Malaysia because malaysia cut its water resources off? Is Vietnam going to come in with its rust bucket airforce and patrol the skies above ASEAN? Is Vietnam going to tell Burma to stop killing its own citizens and form a democracy? How about when Thailand decides its had enough of the temple skirmishes and invades cambodia?

Or Thailand decides its had enough of its souther islamic militancy and invades Malaysia? give me a break already man the world is too complicated to just set up a random bloc for ur entertainment purposes.

I understand.
We would intervene if the world community said okay, let say authorised by UN Security Council.

I understand.
We would intervene if the world community said okay, let say authorised by UN Security Council.

Honestly I think the United Nations has done quite a good job to prevent major wars happening between major powers. SCO challenging NATO is only going to make the world more dangerous. blocs and alliances force other nations to ramp up their military and create or strengthen their own alliances. Thats pretty much how world war 1 happened:tdown:

Nevertheless i am going to sleep peace out folks.

China supports ASEAN since 1997,
from 1997 to now, China-ASEAN leaders meeting(10+1meeting) held every year, 14 times
China-ASEAN Free Trade Area (CAFTA) found in 2010,China-ASEAN export and import value 363 billion$ in 2011, China is the first trade partner of ASEAN;

ASEAN covers a land area of 4.46 million km², which is 3% of the total land area of Earth,
a population of approximately 600 million people, which is 8.8% of the world's population.
GDP had grown to US$1.93 trillion in 2011, 2.7% of the world;
in which Indonesia is 44% GDP of ASEAN, and the top 4 hold 75% GDP of ASEAN(Indonesia,Thailand,Malaysia,*Singapore).

Indonesia $845.6 billion
Thailand $345.6 billion
Malaysia $278.6 billion
Singapore $259.8*billion
Philippines $224.7*billion
Vietnam $122.7*billion
Burma $82.7*billion
Brunei $15.5*billion
Cambodia $14.2*billion
Laos $7.9*billion

except VN and Philippines, China has good relation with other 8 countries, if ASEAN is one country, it will be the 9th biggest country, bigger than India, and India can hardly catch up ASEAN.

As usual, the dream of DaiViet, lead the ASEAN warriors to counter its historical enemy and hope someday plant its flag in Beijing.

1024.jpg

Back
Top Bottom