What's new

ASEAN as Defence Bloc?

ASEAN countries are ultimately too segregated and selfish to work together in a defense bloc, assuming Big IF China played good diplomatic cards with Indonesia will pissing off Philippines, Indonesia will probably tell Philippines to sod off with their problems. Sad but true. We are one selfish bunch lol

So you admit that China won't treat its neighbors fairly, but they should deal with it.

They are dealing with it, just not really in the way you wan't, including Singapore.

Now for this ASEAN NATO idea, even if everyone agreed it was a necessity (and that is far from the case unfortunately), the requisite power projection capability and power itself to make it an effective military bloc does not exist. You need one of the big 3 in there to truly deter. (of course this would actually mean either Russia or the US, as China is the one this bloc is formed to defend against.

Typical American, misreads your statement and translates in his favor. He too is trying to sow seeds of discords where there ain't none except a lone yes puppy who will inadvertently be raped. Frankly his clumsy attempt is pitiful at best and thinks the governments in this area are stupid at worst. Alas, such a stupid obvious ploy!

First time poster long time lurker. Register immediately after seeing this thread :coffee:

As an Indonesian militer forumer the topic of another SEATO always come up even in Malay forum. I'm going to say that the creation of another SEATO will not happen in the foreseeable future, not only is its unrealistic we will ultimately have to make an enemy against <insert country name here> which will do more harms to ASEAN than goods.

If this alliance is possible, like Viet said I don't really have a problem with Vietnam being the leader of the "military alliance" but my country will probably not join

ASEAN countries are ultimately too segregated and selfish to work together in a defense bloc, assuming Big IF China played good diplomatic cards with Indonesia will pissing off Philippines, Indonesia will probably tell Philippines to sod off with their problems. Sad but true. We are one selfish bunch lol

I like to clarify something with you. Indonesia consider Philippines to be the only friend in ASEAN, the rest are associate. We will not say s*d off to the Pinoy, we may raise concern over the dispute & will mentally support the Philippines cause, but ultimately we just don't want to die over some rocks on the SCS when conflict erupt between 2 nation

First time poster long time lurker. Register immediately after seeing this thread :coffee:

As an Indonesian militer forumer the topic of another SEATO always come up even in Malay forum. I'm going to say that the creation of another SEATO will not happen in the foreseeable future, not only is its unrealistic we will ultimately have to make an enemy against <insert country name here> which will do more harms to ASEAN than goods.

If this alliance is possible, like Viet said I don't really have a problem with Vietnam being the leader of the "military alliance" but my country will probably not join

Thanks, but now, we just need Thailand-Singapore to join with us against any threats. If we can control Malacca instead of US, then US will never dare to collude with China to harm us again like in 1979.

Yes, a fantasy bloc for fun!
As I said, how the hell a mess can become a defence block!

A mess or not, fantasy or reality, who knows? who wants to bet?
What we need is more options. The more options we have, the easier we can achieve our goals.
ASEAN defence is an option, military alliance with the US is the other.

It is like playing a high-stakes poker game. It is not only important what cards you hold, but also you make your opponent to think that you hold better cards (but in reality it is not).

What we need is more options. The more options we have, the easier we can achieve our goals.

It is like playing a high-stakes poker game. It is not only important what cards you hold, but also you make your opponent to think that you hold better cards (but in reality it is not).

Maybe you opponent is one step ahead of you by pretending to think the way you want him to think and he'll smile approvingly when you push all your chips to the center and yell: "All In!"

Maybe you opponent is one step ahead of by pretend to think the way you want him to think and he'll smile approvingly when you push all your chips to the center and yell: "All In!"

As I said previously as a small nation we are easy to be blackmailed. Vietnam needs some strong options for negotiations. No one from us wants a confrontation.

As I said previously as a small nation we are easy to be blackmailed. Vietnam needs some strong options for negotations. No one from us wants a confrontation.

I prepared an olive branch for you&#65281;jion us as the 35th province and there are no more blackmail.

You see, ASEAN recently did not even have a common statement because they did not dare mention Scarborough Shoal standoff lasted several months by one member [the Philippines] and China, which was a focus of attention of the whole world in some months.
We should not expect anything more while the association did not even dare to say, not to mention action...

We should build mutually beneficial economic relations in the association, rather than expecting a difficult thing to come true...

I prepared an olive branch for you&#65281;jion us as the 35th province and there are no more blackmail.

Try to try reunification your country, instead

I sympathize with a country still divided, today

I like to clarify something with you. Indonesia consider Philippines to be the only friend in ASEAN, the rest are associate. We will not say s*d off to the Pinoy, we may raise concern over the dispute & will mentally support the Philippines cause, but ultimately we just don't want to die over some rocks on the SCS when conflict erupt between 2 nation

Welcome to the forum, its great to see an Indonesian point of view. I did exaggerate the sod off bit to be honest, wanted to add some dramatic flair :) See you around the forum

Back
Top Bottom