What's new

Why does India keep renaming their cities?

no it is in pakistan, dist - narowal, shakargarh city also tehsil in dist narowal was known as shankargarh before 1947 & as far as lyallpur is concerned i know it had no hindu roots in it's name but still it was changed to Faisalabad don't know why?? even though lyallpur name was very famous

I think you're getting confused between two regions here:

Shankargarh (Allahabad district, UP, India):

Shankargarh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shakargarh (Narowal district, Punjab, Pakistan):

Shakargarh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think there ever existed a "Shankargarh" in Pakistan, but I maybe wrong.

So it's not just anglicized names, but also Muslim names which are being rolled back?

I think local people just want to get back the original native names of their places. There is no reason to look for anything else here.

Congratulations on finally realizing this. ;)

Anyone could be wrong. No harm in acknowledging it.

But to my knowledge, there has never been a Shankargarh in Pakistan. Can you direct me to some link that suggests that there was a "Shankargarh" in Pakistan, & renamed to "Shakargarh" after 1947 as alphamale suggested?

But to my knowledge, there has never been a Shankargarh in Pakistan. Can you direct me to some link that suggests that there was a "Shankargarh" in Pakistan, & renamed to "Shakargarh" after 1947 as alphamale suggested?

My post was general, not specific to this issue.

BTW, it seems there is still a Shankargarh in Pakistan.

Shankargarh Map — Satellite Images of Shankargarh
original name: Shankargarh
geographical location: Peshawar, N.W.F.P., Pakistan, Asia
geographical coordinates: 34° 13' 22" North, 71° 34' 8" East

Shankargarh Map | Pakistan Google Satellite Maps

Shankargarh, Pakistan is a place located in Northern Areas region at 35°1'0" north of the equator and 74°52'0" east of the Prime Meridian

Shankargarh Map and Weather Forecast

I understand that after 1947, India wanted to change the names kept by the British colonialists, & rename them according to their "Sanskritized Hindi roots" or something along those lines. But still, it becomes quite irritating about how they changed so many names:

Off the top of my head:

Bombay became Mumbai
Simla became Shimla
Banaras became Varanasi
Baroda became something weird
Calcutta became Kolkata
Madras became Chennai
Poona became Pune

And now I heard that they renamed the state of Orissa into "Odisha" or something. I don't know, it just becomes weird. Bombay sounded much cooler than Mumbai, & Calcutta is cooler than Kolkata. Banaras is cooler than Varanasi as well. But that's just my personal opinion.

Its not renaming its more like restoring the history of India

My post was general, not specific to this issue.

BTW, it seems there is still a Shankargarh in Pakistan.

Shankargarh Map — Satellite Images of Shankargarh
original name: Shankargarh
geographical location: Peshawar, N.W.F.P., Pakistan, Asia
geographical coordinates: 34° 13' 22" North, 71° 34' 8" East

Shankargarh Map | Pakistan Google Satellite Maps

Shankargarh, Pakistan is a place located in Northern Areas region at 35°1'0" north of the equator and 74°52'0" east of the Prime Meridian

Shankargarh Map and Weather Forecast

Shankargarh is in Peshawar, NWFP; not a specific town. Shakargarh town is separate, it is in eastern Punjab (Narowal district), very close to India.

I understand that after 1947, India wanted to change the names kept by the British colonialists, & rename them according to their "Sanskritized Hindi roots" or something along those lines. But still, it becomes quite irritating about how they changed so many names:

Off the top of my head:

Bombay became Mumbai
Simla became Shimla
Banaras became Varanasi
Baroda became something weird
Calcutta became Kolkata
Madras became Chennai
Poona became Pune

And now I heard that they renamed the state of Orissa into "Odisha" or something. I don't know, it just becomes weird. Bombay sounded much cooler than Mumbai, & Calcutta is cooler than Kolkata. Banaras is cooler than Varanasi as well. But that's just my personal opinion.

I object. The new name is Vadodara and not something wierd. In gujrati Vadodara means "Vado ni udar Maa" (In the shadow of the Banyan trees)

we are not renaming our cities but getting the original names to renamed cities by mughals and britishers.....

let me clarify to all that north Indians do not have any problem in pronouncing the name of "Thiruvananthapuram"
but we in hindi pronounce it as "Tiruvananthpuram"

Too much time on indian politicians hand , and money to change banners and other information waste of time and money

I object. The new name is Vadodara and not something wierd. In gujrati Vadodara means "Vado ni udar Maa" (In the shadow of the Banyan trees)

Ohhh, I understand it now that you broke up the word. I can understand & speak pretty fluent Gujarati, & it makes sense when you break up the word "Vadodara".

The will be changing the name "India" to Orangutang soon because India was also a british given name

Some names like Thiruvananthapuram I cannot even pronounce, I was wondering how many north Indians can pronounce the name of this city right. How do you pronounce it?

The city gets its name from the word, 'Thiruvananthapuram' (Thiru+anantha+puram) means the city of Anantha or the abode of the sacred Serpent Anantha on which Lord Vishnu, reclines.
23042009760.jpg

Since the Britishers found it difficult to pronounce it they changed 'Thiruvananthapuram' to 'Trivandrum'. Even though Trivandrum was easy to pronounce we(malayalees) find it uneasy with Trivandrum and changed it back to its original name.

I am from Kochi. It has 3 names- Kochi, cochin, ernakulam...lol. Dumbass politicians!!
'Kochi' doesn't have 3 names. It was named as 'Cochin' by the Britishers and now changed back to 'Kochi'. And 'Kochi' is one of the 7 Taluks (administrative division) in 'Earnakulam' district.

Back
Top Bottom