What's new

Why does India keep renaming their cities?

who subhashji,who was bhagat singh?
this will be what our grand grand children will be asking when they will be told about these great freedom fighters..

It hurts yar but its gonna be true....
Have you ever noticed hype of Gandhi Nehru stories in our school book syllabus? I do find hardly same stature for our most Patriotic fighters like I mentioned..... I personally respect only two congressis Lal Bhadur Shastri & Sardar Patel....

I liked the old name of my city, Trivandrum. Since the state is a tourist place lots of them are having tough time spelling Thiruvananthapuram.

Kochi sounds ok though.

Instead of Thiruvananthapuram it should have been Ananthapuri IMHO.

Are the airport codes of these cities changed too accordingly where applicable

For example Lyallpur was renamed Faisalabad..... but the code for Faislabad airport still is LYP

i do not know..there is also a bank "Allahabad Bank"
but in hindi they write it as illahabad...but in english they write allahabad..so there must be confusion in mind of those who read it in english..

I understand it was the British who thought any word resembling Allah would automatically be Allah. But no here it is Ilah. Both mean god but with much difference.

The history of the name is that a Mughal king camped there, and found the area so beautiful that he named it 'the abode of god/s'. Hence ilaah-aabaad.

Instead of Thiruvananthapuram it should have been Ananthapuri IMHO.
Very good choice for renaming Trivandrum. but, it may be considered Hindu domination as the name means the land of ananthan.
BTW, if We Sanskritize Thiruvananthapuram, it is "Shri Ananthpur" :D

Back
Top Bottom