What's new

What have you done for New Year's Day?

@p(-)0ENiX

Half of the Saudi Arabians have ventured into UAE, Dubai in particular. :lol:

Just read on Arab news that they beat some firework record. Typical Dubai.

:lol:

But yeah, back in KSA it is just like another day officially.

New Years: Saudis ban celebrations, Dubai seeks fireworks record

Not much really. Im in Sweden right now with the family, and we spent holidays watching a lot of movies. At new years eve we went up to the roof of the building and we lit and released some of those fire balloons. :D

Fukushima+Daiichi+Plant+-+Aug+11+2011+Cigar+Shaped+Object+Over+Nuclear+Reactors+What+About+A+Japanese+Fire+Balloon+Tradition+Festival+At+Night+Sky+www.RadioactiveChat.Blogspot.com.jpg

That's good. Wish you had a great day! Those lights look cool, LOL.

Last edited:
They do set off firecrackers and stuff, especially the little kids, firebombs and firecrackers. And some people go out to local parks with family. :)

It's freezing cold there now for them and they aren't used to it so most people stay at home. :)

That's good, the celebrations here are similar. It's mostly a bunch of families & friends hosting parties, chilling out at the beach, etc.

@p(-)0ENiX

Half of the Saudi Arabians have ventured into UAE, Dubai in particular. :lol:

Just read on Arab news that they beat some firework record. Typical Dubai.

:lol:

But yeah, back in KSA it is just like another day officially.

New Years: Saudis ban celebrations, Dubai seeks fireworks record

Yeah, Dubai has a lot more entertainment for both tourists & residents in comparison to Jeddah. The most common tourists I have seen here are either pilgrims or locals from other cities that travel here during the summer. I have been to Dubai twice, & I had fun both times. The Desert Safari was especially awesome.

This video is kind off boring, but it will give people an idea of what that tour is like.

Last edited:
That's good, the celebrations here are similar. It's mostly a bunch of families & friends hosting parties, chilling out at the beach, etc.

Yeah, Dubai has a lot more entertainment than Jeddah. I have been there twice, & I had fun both times. The Desert Safari was especially awesome.

This video is kind off boring, but it will give people an idea of what that tour is like.

Yes, Jeddah is not that bad during New Years considering that there are no official celebrations. As you say there is the beach which can be frequented basically 365 days a year so that is a huge plus. I had a few friends who took a rented boat and ventured into the Red Sea where they were diving, swimming and hosting a little "party" yesterday.

Yes, that's cool. You can do that in KSA as well. I have always wanted to do some desert driving in the Saudi Arabian Rub' al-Khali with its enormous sand dunes and wild environment. Maybe I would ran into an Arabian oryx though.:lol:

desertwildlife.jpg

o5qirn.jpg

Sand Cat
by The Living Desert, on Flickr

2w4fg49.jpg

ayvxd.jpg

30bplbk.jpg

o8xpur.jpg

317b0nc.jpg

عمق الصحراء
by KHALID ALSABT | خالد السبت |, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yes, Jeddah is not that bad during New Years considering that there are no official celebrations. As you say there is the beach which can be frequented basically 365 days a year so that is a huge plus. I had a few friends who took a rented boat and ventured into the Red Sea where they were diving, swimming and hosting a little "party" yesterday.

Yeah, Jeddah isn't terrible when it comes to entertainment, but Dubai is better in comparison. There are lots of private resorts here where tourists can go swimming & chill out, but in my opinion they still need to improved & further developed to generate mass interest. In fact, tourism as a sector still hasn't received the kind of emphasis it deserves with many tourists primarily arriving as pilgrims. Religious & social barriers somewhat hamper the development of the tourism sector as well.

I have been on paddle boats here when I was younger, & that was enjoyable too. Other than that, I have traveled to multiple cities in Saudi Arabia & even in the UAE but for a shorter period of time. These days, I have more of an interest in seeing ancient artifacts, buildings, etc. The cool temperatures in Taif, & its many gardens are also a decent place to visit with family or friends.

Yes, that's cool. You can do that in KSA as well. I have always wanted to do some desert driving in the Saudi Arabian Rub' al-Khali with its enormous sand dunes and wild environment. Maybe I would ran into an Arabian oryx though.:lol:

Of course, many people go camping to desert areas quite frequently. Although, a tourist won't get to eat, drink, get drunk legally, or chill out with a belly dancer after the end of a desert safari here. :lol: :P

Be careful about driving over an animal while cruising through the desert. I hear that the owners are often nearby & end up demanding compensation for the dead animal, unless of course it's a wild animal just roaming around in its natural habitat. :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah, Jeddah isn't terrible when it comes to entertainment, but Dubai is better in comparison. There are lots of private resorts here where tourists can go swimming & chill out, but in my opinion they still need to improved & further developed to generate mass interest. In fact, tourism as a sector still hasn't received the kind of emphasis it deserves with many tourists primarily arriving as pilgrims. Religious & social barriers somewhat hamper the development of the tourism sector as well.

I have been on paddle boats here when I was younger, & that was enjoyable too. Other than that, I have traveled to multiple cities in Saudi Arabia & even in the UAE but for a shorter period of time. These days, I have more of an interest in seeing ancient artifacts, buildings, etc. The cool temperatures in Taif, & its many gardens are also a decent place to visit with family or friends.

Of course, many people go camping to desert areas quite frequently. Although, a tourist won't get to eat, drink, get drunk legally, or chill out with a belly dancer after the end of a desert safari here. :lol: :P

Be careful about driving over an animal while cruising through the desert. I hear that the owners are often nearby & end up demanding compensation for the dead animal. Lol! :lol:

Yes, Jeddah is obviously not comparable to Dubai. Maybe in 20 years time it will be. The potential is big at least but it is difficult to predict the future on issues like this.

Yes, I have made 2 threads that deals with the tourism sector since KSA, at least in my humble opinion, has a very big potential of tourism by virtue of its size, diversity, weather and attractions. This issue is a bit complicated though.

Tourist visas to be introduced in KSA

https://defence.pk/threads/‘poor-tourism-infrastructure-obstacle-to-tourism-in-ksa-for-now’.291474/

I touch on this issue in the last thread especially.

Yes, KSA is a very big country and there are many ancient and charming villages and small towns that not many people inside KSA even know about. At least I have discovered that in my travels across the country although I am of course yet to even visit all provinces. Far from it.

If Yemen was a stable country then that would be a huge tourism attraction on a world scale IMO.

You should also visit nearby Oman. Very beautiful country. Nearby Jordan as well. Both safe countries.

No, all that is only reserved for some people, LOL.

Don't think there are many people in the Rub' al-Khali though aside from a few wandering Bedouins if anything and herders. But I am sure that you will be able to piss them of if you kill their Arabian horse, camel, goats, sheep or whatever they have.:lol:

In all seriousness then I have always wanted to visit the Rub' al-Khali for real. Never really did that. It is unlike any other desert area in KSA. Not as scenic in my opinion but still amazing.

Anyway I think that we are a bit off-topic but I wish you and your family a Happy New Year and the rest of the bunch here again. I need to study a little bit before the exam tomorrow.;)

Last edited:
@faithfulguy They both 'claim' to have the best. The founders of Pat's King of Steaks, are generally credited with inventing the sandwich in 1930. There is definitely a big rivalry between both places. I personally like them both. All depends on what mood I'm in. Some Philadelphians though have chosen sides :lol:

This article (in case you're curious) is a couple of years old, but it basically sums up the situation.

Pat's vs. Geno's: Cheese steak war still simmers in Philadelphia - Los Angeles Times

Tried them both. 2005-7. Pats won hands down. they were the rudest and the bestest steak guys in philly.

worked 3 hours taken breakfast at 3pm and taking rest now :angel::angel:

I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one that doesn't work. :lol:

What Did I do for New Year? Worked through the night, today marks 3 years without smoking :D

Here is a Picture of my New Year toy, It was a bargain at 5,000 rupees.

2ngai34.jpg

5dw39u.jpg

Happy New Year :D

Nice! Looks like anti handgun standard? :D

@Imran Khan why'd I forget to tag you....:devil:

And I'm sure I'm forgetting others too:disagree:

They'll come along. :D

So soke bitayaa phela din.......................

Nice sleep and watched green baret , woke up and 2 egs with bagel & Big orange juice glass welcome 2014 , the year of J10B

Back
Top Bottom