What's new

US Politics

328Kasich.jpg

Spoken like a true Republican, I like Kasich, unlike his rivals (an angry fascist and a Taliban in suit and tie), he is a well mannered decent person, a voice of the modern Republicans. As House budget chairman, he is widely considered the architect of a deal that balance the federal budget in the late 90s.

John Kasich warns of Donald Trump’s “path to darkness”

By REBECCA SHABAD/ CBS NEWS/ Apr 12, 2016

Ohio Gov. John Kasich argued Tuesday that this presidential election offers voters two paths -- one of which "could drive America down into a ditch, not make us great again."

It is an unveiled slap at front-runner Donald Trump.

"Some who feed off of the fears and anger that is felt by some of us and exploit it feed their own insatiable desire for fame or attention. That could drive America down into a ditch, not make us great again," Kasich warned in a prepared speech from the the Women's National Republican Club in New York.

Kasich never mentioned Trump by name, but it's abundantly clear that he was referring to his billionaire opponent. He said Trump's political strategy is "based on exploiting Americans instead of lifting them up," and will "inevitably lead to divisions, paranoia, isolation, and promises that can never, ever be fulfilled."

He called some of the proposals offered by his rivals "disturbing" and slammed politicians who have made made promises to voters based on polling or on what was politically beneficial.

Kasich blasted his opponents for the nasty personal attacks they've engaged in throughout the campaign and defended his decision to run a positive campaign.

"I have stood on a stage and watched with amazement as candidates wallowed in the mud, viciously attacked one another, called each other liars and disparaged each other's character," Kasich said. "Those who continuously push that type of behavior are not worthy of the office they are seeking."

He slammed policy ideas from both of his GOP opponents during the course of the speech.

"We have heard proposals to create a religious test for immigration, to target neighborhoods for surveillance, impose draconian tariffs which would crush trade and destroy American jobs," Kasich said.

The idea that Muslim neighborhoods would be targeted for surveillance was a proposal espoused by Ted Cruz after the bombings in Brussels, and Cruz also proposed that Muslim Syrian refugees be denied entryto the U.S., but that Christian refugees should be allowed in.

He summed up Trump's foreign policy proposals in a single line:

"We have heard proposals to drop out of NATO, abandon Europe to Russia, possibly use nuclear weapons in Europe, end our defense partnerships in Asia, and tell our Middle East allies that they have to go it alone."

Kasich, the former chairman of the House Budget Committee, also mocked Trump's and Cruz's methodology for trimming federal spending.

"We have been offered hollow promises to impose a value-added tax, balance budgets through simple and whimsical cuts in 'fraud, waste and abuse.'"

The VAT has been used to describe Cruz's plan, and Trump's first answer to balancing the budget has generally been to cut waste, fraud and abuse.

Kasich described his own path as "steep" but "well-trod" and "solid" -- one based on increased economic growth spurred by a balanced budget plan and a temporary freeze on most federal regulations.

The Ohio governor lags the GOP field in delegates -- CBS News' current delegate count has him at 143 delegates, behind Trump at 743 and Cruz at 540.

Last edited:
View attachment 300001

Spoken like a true Republican, I like Kasich, unlike his rivals (a angry fascist and a Taliban in suit and tie), he is a well mannered decent person, a voice of the modern Republicans. As House budget chairman, he is widely considered the architect of a deal that balance the federal budget in the late 90s.

John Kasich warns of Donald Trump’s “path to darkness”

By REBECCA SHABAD/ CBS NEWS/ Apr 12, 2016

Ohio Gov. John Kasich argued Tuesday that this presidential election offers voters two paths -- one of which "could drive America down into a ditch, not make us great again."

It is an unveiled slap at front-runner Donald Trump.

"Some who feed off of the fears and anger that is felt by some of us and exploit it feed their own insatiable desire for fame or attention. That could drive America down into a ditch, not make us great again," Kasich warned in a prepared speech from the the Women's National Republican Club in New York.

Kasich never mentioned Trump by name, but it's abundantly clear that he was referring to his billionaire opponent. He said Trump's political strategy is "based on exploiting Americans instead of lifting them up," and will "inevitably lead to divisions, paranoia, isolation, and promises that can never, ever be fulfilled."

He called some of the proposals offered by his rivals "disturbing" and slammed politicians who have made made promises to voters based on polling or on what was politically beneficial.

Kasich blasted his opponents for the nasty personal attacks they've engaged in throughout the campaign and defended his decision to run a positive campaign.

"I have stood on a stage and watched with amazement as candidates wallowed in the mud, viciously attacked one another, called each other liars and disparaged each other's character," Kasich said. "Those who continuously push that type of behavior are not worthy of the office they are seeking."

He slammed policy ideas from both of his GOP opponents during the course of the speech.

"We have heard proposals to create a religious test for immigration, to target neighborhoods for surveillance, impose draconian tariffs which would crush trade and destroy American jobs," Kasich said.

The idea that Muslim neighborhoods would be targeted for surveillance was a proposal espoused by Ted Cruz after the bombings in Brussels, and Cruz also proposed that Muslim Syrian refugees be denied entryto the U.S., but that Christian refugees should be allowed in.

He summed up Trump's foreign policy proposals in a single line:

"We have heard proposals to drop out of NATO, abandon Europe to Russia, possibly use nuclear weapons in Europe, end our defense partnerships in Asia, and tell our Middle East allies that they have to go it alone."

Kasich, the former chairman of the House Budget Committee, also mocked Trump's and Cruz's methodology for trimming federal spending.

"We have been offered hollow promises to impose a value-added tax, balance budgets through simple and whimsical cuts in 'fraud, waste and abuse.'"

The VAT has been used to describe Cruz's plan, and Trump's first answer to balancing the budget has generally been to cut waste, fraud and abuse.

Kasich described his own path as "steep" but "well-trod" and "solid" -- one based on increased economic growth spurred by a balanced budget plan and a temporary freeze on most federal regulations.

The Ohio governor lags the GOP field in delegates -- CBS News' current delegate count has him at 143 delegates, behind Trump at 743 and Cruz at 540.

I'm a Republican and he is who I voted for in my state's primary but I think his campaign is only useful to some extent, in denying Trump a first ballot nomination. The problem though is that if it is a contested convention and Trump loses the nomination to Cruz on a second or third ballot, Trump will cry foul and run as a third party candidate, giving the White House to the Democrats. The Dems have it unless they do something incredibly stupid.

I'm a Republican and he is who I voted for in my state's primary but I think his campaign is only useful to some extent, in denying Trump a first ballot nomination. The problem though is that if it is a contested convention and Trump loses the nomination to Cruz on a second or third ballot, Trump will cry foul and run as a third party candidate, giving the White House to the Democrats. The Dems have it unless they do something incredibly stupid.
I'm really hoping Bernie does the same thing to the Democrats, that way both Democrats and Republicans commit political suicide. :yahoo::usflag::yahoo:

Kasich is pro Amnesty for illegals. No country allows illegals. Why should the US be an exception? He does not have my vote. I will vote for Trump.

I'm really hoping Bernie does the same thing to the Democrats, that way both Democrats and Republicans commit political suicide. :yahoo::usflag::yahoo:

Sanders only joined Democratic party when he started running last year. Trump has been a Republican for many years. Sanders might run 3rd party. Trump would not.

Ideas-Trump-front-page-p1-large.gif

Boston Globe Trump front page: The GOP must stop Trump - The Boston Globe

Very funny, Boston Globe runs a satirical fake front page with the potential Trump presidency.

Trump calling for deportation, American soldiers refusing to kill ISIS families, there are riots in some cities, and the stock market plunges and even the Chinese are mad at Trump for naming his dog madame Peng, after China’s first lady.

My friend, no offense, but in my opinion, it would be far better for the Republicans to lose White House to the Democrats for four years, than to have an angry fascist or a isolationist religious fanatic as Republican president, I think, Trump and Cruz will do more damage to your party, and to our country.

View attachment 300009

Boston Globe Trump front page: The GOP must stop Trump - The Boston Globe

Very funny, Boston Globe runs a satirical fake front page with the potential Trump presidency.

Trump calling for deportation, American soldiers refusing to kill ISIS families, there are riots in some cities, and the stock market plunges and even the Chinese are mad at Trump for naming his dog madame Peng, after China’s first lady.

My friend, no offense, but in my opinion, it would be far better for the Republicans to lose White House to the Democrats for four years, than to have an angry fascist or a isolationist religious fanatic as Republican president, I think, Trump and Cruz will do more damage to your party, and to our country.

Time to deport illegals back to where they came from. Let Shia deal with IS families.

No offence taken. The thing is, I am NOT a moderate Republican but I largely agree with you. I am a traditional conservative who believes in an optimistic message. ("Our best days are ahead of us, not behind us!" -Reagan). But this has basically been happening since the election of 1992 and the end of the Cold War. The fight against the Soviet Union and communism was the glue that held the conservative movement together. Once it ended, the GOP and conservatives, started to come apart. Everything drifted further and further into bizarreness. I knew we were in deep trouble when we spent four years talking about Obama's birth certificate instead of entitlement reform or finding conservative solutions to health care coverage. The party is smaller and whiter now, then it has ever been in it's history. We no longer win in a single major urban area of the country and we act as if that's a good thing. We have become the party of the angry white male and that is a very, very, bad thing. Besides the moral reasons, it's just plain suicidal politically. With every passing day, the country become less and less white, Christian, rural, and socially conservative. If the GOP is not willing to fight for new voters who match that, it will go the way of the first two conservative parties and disappear into history.

Cruz talks deporting illegals but he don't get flak because he's Hispanic himself

Latest posts

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom