What's new

Turkish Space Programs

200 million TL astronaut training center?

I mean, I applaud the idea and the effort. But aren't we getting too ahead of ourselves here? We haven't launched a single satellite to space yet. I feel the money would've been better invested in speeding up the Uydu Firlatma Sistemi / National Rocket Launchpad Center project.
I think there has been a misunderstanding. And lets face it, it wouldnt be the first time for our journalists to heavily misunderstand something related to science and technology.
I think at the very least this money is for something like a space sciences Institute.

200 million TL astronaut training center?

I mean, I applaud the idea and the effort. But aren't we getting too ahead of ourselves here? We haven't launched a single satellite to space yet. I feel the money would've been better invested in speeding up the Uydu Firlatma Sistemi / National Rocket Launchpad Center project.

Bursa already is trying to attract Aviation and aerospace industry such center would help a lot along side some other projects but also Main purpose of this center can be seen as attracting youth to STEM more than training astronauts which also would help attracting Aviation and aerospace industry. Imho This project should seen in this regard not as training facility of our next astronaut.

Turkey, Airbus to sign deal for new communications satellites
ANKARA - Anadolu Agency
59f1d422c9de3d0bc8d48d2c.jpg

Turkey will sign an agreement with Airbus on Nov. 9 for the production of Turksat 5A and Turksat 5B communications satellites, Transport, Maritime and Communications Minister Ahmet Arslan said on Oct. 26.

The contract will be signed by Airbus Defense and Space (Airbus D&S) during the Global SatShow in Istanbul and the production of satellites will start immediately afterwards, Arslan told Anadolu Agency.

Arslan said that three top international firms had bid for the job: the French-U.K. partnership Airbus D&S, Japan’s Mitsubishi Electric Corporation and the Canadian-U.S. partnership MDA/Space System Loral.

“All of them were technically qualified. However, Airbus made the best bid during the negotiations both financially and in terms of domestic contribution,” Arslan said.

Turkey aims to launch the Turksat 5A by 2020 and the Turksat 5B by 2021, he added.

Turkey, Airbus, Satellite

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkey-airbus-to-sign-deal-for-new-communications-satellites-121454

He doesn't mean that literally, does he? Will the Turkish SLV be ready by then?

UFS_2.jpg
I think he doesn't mean launching with roketsan SLV. We will probably launch using a spacex/russian/chinese/indian slv

Because even if roketsan SLV was ready it can lift only 500 kg to LEO, while 5A weighs about 3 tons.

I really wouldn't trust Roketsan's SLV to launch such an expensive, important satellite without prior launch experiences.

Turksat 5A and 5B will probably be too heavy for it anyway. It'd be next to impossible to get insurance for the satellites given our SLV's zero safety trackrecord at that point. And of course some 'accidents' are bound to happen for the first few launches. Accidents are more of a rule than the exception when it comes to new and immature space launch vehicles. So we shouldn't be discouraged by them and instead stay the course.

But after a few successful test runs I think we can start using the Turkish SLV for our domestically produced 1-ton class satellites for LEO orbits and then go forward from there getting heavier and heavier satellites into space and at higher orbits as Roketsan also keeps on making bigger and bigger SLVs with multiple boosters.

I really wouldn't trust Roketsan's SLV to launch such an expensive, important satellite without prior launch experiences.

Turksat 5A and 5B will probably be too heavy for it anyway. It'd be next to impossible to get insurance for the satellites given our SLV's zero safety trackrecord at that point. And of course some 'accidents' are bound to happen for the first few launches. Accidents are more of a rule than the exception when it comes to new and immature space launch vehicles. So we shouldn't be discouraged by them and instead stay the course.

But after a few successful test runs I think we can start using the Turkish SLV for our domestically produced 1-ton class satellites for LEO orbits and then go forward from there getting heavier and heavier satellites into space and at higher orbits as Roketsan also keeps on making bigger and bigger SLVs with multiple boosters.

I will believe it if I see an ANTONOV lifts up from Ankara to Baikonur.

That we work on testing SLV's. Where is our testbed ? Sinop ? Tuz Gölü ?
It hasn't come to testing yet but Roketsan is reportedly really working on an SLV. I have no idea where the launch pad location will be but Sinop and the Tuzgolu area both sound logical. With Sinop the first stage can fall into the Black Sea and perhaps be retrieved for re-use. With Tuzgolu it can fall into a sparsely populated desert area nearby. Mersin and KKTC may also be suitable and can save a little fuel by being closer to the equator.

Here's a 4-part documentary about the US vs Soviet Union space race. You can learn a lot about rockets, engine development, fuels, satellites and space technology. I highly recommend it.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Back
Top Bottom