What's new

The City that never sleeps (NYC)

mnht2.jpg

Sun lights up Manhattan streets

I do. I don't think it's gritty. It's more like art deco. Art deco makes one think of the 1920's and 1930's - the unique curves, the materials, cast iron, the stone. All of the super skyscrapers going up in Shaghai, Hong Kong, are (to me) soulless entities of glass and steel. BTW, I would class the WTC (RIP) among the soulless glass & steel entities.

Empire State building:
empire-state-building1.jpg

umm thats the Chrysler Building not the empire state.

My city , i simply love it.You can understand NYC when you live or visit other parts of the country.I have lived in New jersey,nice place but nothing compare to NYC.No subway,trains,buses,and other transportation system.There is some but its no way near NYC.Some places in the city are dirty because i cant put in words how busy it is.Go on the subway train ,E or F in the morning like 7 am from queens forget about getting a place to sit you wont even get a place to stand in the train its so so so full they have make announcements that there is another train behind this one, please get on that train.Every 10 sec there is another train in the morning or evening rush hour.My part time job is driving limo,i drive like 3 to 4 days.Its no fun driving in that traffic in Manhattan,not only that but Queens too highways are always stuck in the morning and later in the evening, its so so so soooo busy.Believe me there is a diff when u see something with your own eyes.i went to Toronto in April let me tell you its not even 1/10 of NYC. NYC has the best highway system in the US.So many signs.Everything is well explained and how its connected to one another its just awesome.If you missed one highway exit you can take if from 10 other places.If you did the samething in New Jersey then keep going God knows where will be another exit.Plus NYC is huge its not only Manhattan but Queens ,Brooklyn, Bronx,Staten lsland.I really like Queens, very nice place to live in.If anyone wants to know about clean and dirty places feel free to ask me, i know every single street of my city and should know because its my part time job too.

Why is Queens a nice place to to live? I have a hard time believing that.

What do you guys think of Boston?
Boston is good city, very famous for Education. But bro NYC has something that other cities don't.I went to Virginia only for 2 days but my heart was in NYC, you keep thinking where are those people.why its so quiet.tons of questions.Also don't forget chicago too, i rate it 2nd after NYC.

Boston is good city, very famous for Education. But bro NYC has something that other cities don't.I went to Virginia only for 2 days but my heart was in NYC, you keep thinking where are those people.why its so quiet.tons of questions.Also don't forget chicago too, i rate it 2nd after NYC.

I've been to NYC a few times, Manhattan is superb my favorite part very lively and high energy city. You seem to like that quality of Manhattan.

I think that NYC should build some modern looking buildings(modern and up to date architecture)
because most of there buildings are very old
you can have fancy and new looking glass buildings, but it will be no match for the old is gold, Plaza and The Waldorf Astoria.You need a big name for that building too.

Yes Pakistani-Americans are very low-key. They should make that Coney Island place like China-Town and Little Italy. No one outside the Pakistani community knows about Coney Island.

Yes you are right. Bangladeshis are taking over Jackson Heights. I went to Jackson Heights 3 years ago and ate at Kabab King with my friends. Good food.
i hope they make it like china town, Coney island is famous too, it has aquarium and some good beaches, also there is kings borough community college lots of students go there even from Queens.Kabab king i like their kabab its really good.Try the one is long island in Hicksville.I usually go there when i go to the Broadway mall or Roosevelt field mall.

Why is Queens a nice place to to live? I have a hard time believing that.
Because of many things, the best Queens in not depressing.Its not like Brooklyn.If you go there its very depressing not all of if but most of it.Some neighborhoods are nice too like Coney Island, Brooklyn Heights, Bensonhurst and some others are pretty good.Queens can be rated 2nd best place in NYC after Manhattan, most of Queens neighborhoods are nice and clean, just leave Jamaica,Bushwick and east new york.The rest of the Queens is very clean and its also expensive too like Forest Hills, Kew Garden Hills, Kew Gardens,Fresh Meadows,Bay Side,Great Neck,Little Neck,Whitestone,Glen Oaks.All these neighborhoods are super clean and its expensive.Housing is very expensive a reg 2 bed apartment will cost you around $1800-2000 on rent in these neighborhoods.Queens in also very convenient two major NYC airports are in Queens it takes me about 15 min to get to LGA and 10 min to JFK.Beside that Queens schools and college are way better than Brooklyn or Bronx.If you just go to parks or malls in Queens you will notice diff atmosphere compare to other boroughs people around you will be very different.Also, the highways combinations is simply the best in Queens the way its connected to one another its just too good.You can use like 4 highways getting to a place which is like 10 miles far.So over all i rate Queens pretty high,we can say its the 2nd best borough after Manhattan in NYC.

I've been to NYC a few times, Manhattan is superb my favorite part very lively and high energy city. You seem to like that quality of Manhattan.
ya i really like Manhattan when you having fun there.I am mostly there now a days because of work, no school so why not work.But some times you get sick of the traffic.

I love Little Italy & Chinatown: they have real character. It's also great fun walking/biking on the Brooklyn Bridge with friends. Generally, SOHO & parts of downtown Manhattan are great. I love Chelsea. Parts of downtown Manhattan like Christopher Street are really gritty, & I used to go there for Halloween parties every year. Places like Wall Street, WTC, WFC are fine, but they don't have any real character. Much like mid-town Manhattan, it's a bit plastic there. Not a fan of Little Korea. Central Park is a bit too commercial as well. I like uptown Manhattan more than midtown as well. I don't know how many people are into museums, but the Guggenheim, National History Museum, Museum of Modern Art, Met are pretty cool too. And Apollo Center & Harlem has got to be one of my favorite places as well (beware: if you're meeting up with a pot dealer there, they have secret cameras there & you can be busted. The safest place to get pot in the city would be in SOHO, at one of the stores).

In the 70s & 80s, the city had real grit: it was almost as if it came out of a **** movie (see Amy Winehouse's videos). People used to sex & orgy each other out. Now it's all cleaned up & commercial.
Don't forget the USS Intrepid and the museum on the west side by 46 st. I recently went there with my brother.Its nice. And i really like upper east and west side.Mid town is all business and traffic.

New York City can be a fun place to live in but its too expensive and affordable apartments in Manhattan are crap.

NYC is amazing in a way that the city just keeps working. Bustling with life. There is always something for every one.

However, when i was there, i immediately realized that i wouldn't want to live long term here. There are much better cities in USA to live. I mean, when i went to Chicago, i was like impressed. But hey, NYC is an old city. The magnet for all those immigrants....from the late 18th century to the Desis. Chicago and some west coast cities are relatively new. So you see the places are wonderful.

But Some European cities would definitely beat NYC in terms of hygiene/cleanliness like Berlin, Paris, Zurich etc.

Like they say...

" Wall street is the only place in the world, where people driving in Rolls Royce would go, to get advice from those who ride the subway to work!"

:azn:

NYC is amazing in a way that the city just keeps working. Bustling with life. There is always something for every one.

However, when i was there, i immediately realized that i wouldn't want to live long term here. There are much better cities in USA to live. I mean, when i went to Chicago, i was like impressed. But hey, NYC is an old city. The magnet for all those immigrants....from the late 18th century to the Desis. Chicago and some west coast cities are relatively new. So you see the places are wonderful.

But Some European cities would definitely beat NYC in terms of hygiene/cleanliness like Berlin, Paris, Zurich etc.

Like they say...

" Wall street is the only place in the world, where people driving in Rolls Royce would go, to get advice from those who ride the subway to work!"

:azn:
European cities are no match for NYC,the only city we can compare with NYC is Tokyo.NYC is way too fast, busy for Europe.NYC transportation,traffic system,highways,bridges,tunnels and the business are too much for European cities.You are right that its not that clean as compare to other cities,but most of it is pretty clean and they work their best,but again its wayy too busy compare to other places.You have people coming from New Jersey,Connecticut and Long Island to work and also for fun, so it gets tough.You can tell this when you live in NYC.My dad friend came from London and i took him around the city he was really impressed by the highway system in NYC.I asked him why?London should about be the same.His words LONDON IS A VILLAGE COMPARE TO NYC.My uncle also said the same thing he came from Toronto.

I am surprised. I thought the Americans were pretty strict on immigration.
Guess this is where you are wrong.

I've never been to the US by the way, but have always been fascinated with the country. Yes, ironic since I mostly grew up abroad in over 5 countries :lol:
Been to NYC a few times but all work related so never had time to play tourist.

I have been through 22 states on my bike. Never a dull ride with 1200cc under me going on the Interstate from city to city, or on state roads going from small town to small town. I lived in states with all four seasons and states with just one or two. Other than language, the cultures in these American states are as varied as any in Europe, and I have been through a few European countries when I was active duty.

If you have the money and the time, I recommend three cities, and their associated states, that will boggle your mind about the US: Honolulu (my home of Hawaii), NYC (New York), and Las Vegas (Nevada). You want extremes? You got it. You will leave US not knowing what to make of US.

Back
Top Bottom