What's new

The City that never sleeps (NYC)

I am not a fan of either situation: a Bradford like town in England/Dearborn like city in Michigan dominated by Pakistanis/Arabs; neither a place like Missouri, Iowa where 95% of the population is white. People unfortunately in America form their own communities & neighborhoods, I like neighborhoods that are perfectly diverse, & have a good mix of different ethnicities & cultures. It can be hard to find that in the US. Even in places like Dearborn, Coney Island, Edison, Chicago/DC metropolitan area & Austin with high concentration of Pakistani communities, it still doesn't feel "Pakistani" & "familiar", just feels very out of place. I feel that the quote "Do as the Romans do is very apt", & it is very important for Pakistani Americans to acclimatize & assimilate.

I have mixed emotions but I kind of feel sorry for this country and whites in regards to Manhattan and NYC the city is flooded with peasant immigrants from around the world with low education, bad hygiene, manners, unattractive, unkempt, etc. Of course there are white residents that may fit this description, but the place seems too diverse and too overwhelmed with unintegrated immigrants, some of whom I expect are illegal. It boggles my mind how some of them ever got there. Manhattan should be kept as a sophisticated, modern, and advance city (Burrough).

This is just my opinion.

The problem is only getting worse with the steady stream of illegal immigrants from Mexico and Central/South America considering they are able to travel by mainland. Anchor babies is another related issue.

I really don't mean to derail the thread but if we're going to discuss Manhattan we should discuss both the good, the bad, and ugly, right?

I have mixed emotions but I kind of feel sorry for this country and whites in regards to Manhattan and NYC the city is flooded with peasant immigrants from around the world with low education, bad hygiene, manners, unattractive, unkempt, etc. Of course there are white residents that may fit this description, but the place seems too diverse and too overwhelmed with unintegrated immigrants, some of whom I expect are illegal. It boggles my mind how some of them ever got there. Manhattan should be kept as a sophisticated, modern, and advance city (Burrough).

This is just my opinion.

When the US was a manufacturing hub in the 70s & before, it was pretty dirty & run-down. Look at Newark, Jersey City, Elizabeth where you still see the factories & the smoke. Today, the manufacturing in the US is gone, & now while the City has cleaned up, it has lost the jobs, lost the development projects. The Industrial Revolution in the US also took place when the US was a hub of manufacturing, & it wasn't a clean place either then.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

The problem is only getting worse with the steady stream of illegal immigrants from Mexico and Central/South America considering they are able to travel by mainland. Anchor babies is another related issue.

I really don't mean to derail the thread but if we're going to discuss Manhattan we should discuss both the good, the bad, and ugly, right?

I have responded to your post in Post # 61.

Cont...

You know how Pakistanis complain about Afghan refugees creating problems in Karachi and elsewhere the problems facing Manhattan and in other burroughs of NYC are similar to that. So I'm sure Pakistanis can relate.

Also it's not just peasant immigrants it's also many members of a particular minority race which is elated by the President's race.

This is just my opinion. After living here for nearly two decades.

Cont...

You know how Pakistanis complain about Afghan refugees creating problems in Karachi and elsewhere the problems facing Manhattan and in other burroughs of NYC are similar to that. So I'm sure Pakistanis can relate.

This is just my opinion. After living here for nearly two decades.

Most Pakistanis in the US are legal though (& are good, law abiding citizens), & they also hold good positions in many areas & fields. The comparison of Afghanis refugees can be compared to the situation of Mexicans & other Latinos in the US, even though the latter do not bring violence either.

Pakistanis are not refugees in U.S.

Pakistanis are not refugees in U.S.

I know that, I am making a comparison between the influx of foreigners whether they be immigrants of refugees in Manhattan/NYC or Pakistan to give people some perspective.

When the US was a manufacturing hub in the 70s & before, it was pretty dirty & run-down. Look at Newark, Jersey City, Elizabeth where you still see the factories & the smoke. Today, the manufacturing in the US is gone, & now while the City has cleaned up, it has lost the jobs, lost the development projects. The Industrial Revolution in the US also took place when the US was a hub of manufacturing, & it wasn't a clean place either then.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

I have responded to your post in Post # 61.

By the way, US remains the worlds largest manufacturer (output), so let's just get that cleared up. This is a popular misconception that the US is no longer a manufacturing hub and doesn't manufacture much today, that is simply not true.

By the way, US remains the worlds largest manufacturer (output), so let's just get that cleared up. This is a popular misconception that the US is no longer a manufacturing hub and doesn't manufacture much today, that is simply not true.

It might still be the world's biggest manufacturer (probably because of arms manufacturing), but look at how the structure of the US economy has changed: it has become an economy primarily based on services, which comprises of 77% of the economy's GDP. Only 22% comes from industry. Compare that to China, with 47% of the country's GDP based on industry. And let's face it, most of the everyday items we get in the US are manufactured in China. Even in my area of expertise, many food & beverages/pharmaceutical companies are shifting their manufacturing operations to China.

The USA still produces a lot of extremely high tech stuff - semiconductors, turbines, power generating, robotics, aviation, advanced machine tools, heavy equipment. Things like shoes and shirts have moved offshore.

The "white" hipsters are the worst in NYC. They are the ones truly ruining the city.

The mexicans and south americans you speak of are the only ones that willing to deliver Pizza in the snow on bicycles. Tell me what white person would be willing to do this? For them bike riding is a leisure activity. Anyways, these are the same people that provide them with rides home in taxis when they are outrageously drunk. Go figure.

I am not a fan of either situation: a Bradford like town in England/Dearborn like city in Michigan dominated by Pakistanis/Arabs; neither a place like Missouri, Iowa where 95% of the population is white. People unfortunately in America form their own communities & neighborhoods, I like neighborhoods that are perfectly diverse, & have a good mix of different ethnicities & cultures. It can be hard to find that in the US. Even in places like Dearborn, Coney Island, Edison, Chicago/DC metropolitan area & Austin with high concentration of Pakistani communities, it still doesn't feel "Pakistani" & "familiar", just feels very out of place. I feel that the quote "Do as the Romans do is very apt", & it is very important for Pakistani Americans to acclimatize & assimilate.

That is a natural human instinct to form their own communities, to bond with those who share cultural, lingual, racial, and ethnic similarities with them, that is just the way it is otherwise we wouldn't have Chinatowns, Little Italy's or Little Pakistan's.

Well the problem is arising from the fact that the White population is decreasing (for some reason Whites just don't like to have babies i guess) and the gap is being filled by Latinos and other immigrants.

I really don't mean to derail the thread but if we're going to discuss Manhattan
This thread is about the entire NYC, not only Manhattan.

we should discuss both the good, the bad, and ugly, right?

True, i agree, and having grown up in one of the most infamous neighborhoods of NYC i know exactly what its like having been living there.

South Street Seaport

south-street-seaport.jpg

south-street-seaport.jpg

stock-photo-view-of-south-street-seaport-and-pier-in-lower-manhattan-14321893.jpg

Back
Top Bottom