What's new

The City that never sleeps (NYC)

Apple_Store_Fifth_Avenue.jpg

Apple store in the Big Apple.

1152_Photo_art_Rendezvous-New-York.jpg

new_york_morrning.jpg

New York morning, if there ever is such a thing.

The greatest thing about NYC is, unless you are a pretty girl or a weirdo, nobody gives you a second look. You are simply accepted.

If you are single you love to live in Manhattan, although it is expensive, for constant actions. If you have a family with kids, you would love to live in Brooklyn (not the ghetto). There are so many different ethnic enclaves that are peaceful and have good family environments. The rents are acceptable too.

The greatest thing about NYC is, unless you are a pretty girl or a weirdo, nobody gives you a second look. You are simply accepted.

If you are single you love to live in Manhattan, although it is expensive, for constant actions. If you have a family with kids, you would love to live in Brooklyn (not the ghetto). There are so many different ethnic enclaves that are peaceful and have good family environments. The rents are acceptable too.

Yeah I want to live in Manhattan in the future. Which borough do you reside in if you don't mind me asking?

In Manhattan - prefer the kebabs on the roadside stalls, dinner in little italy, a inexpensive massage in Chinatown. In Queens, love the Chinatown in Flushing - shop for fresh fruits and fish, fresh chicken like in India, less than $10 haircut and ofcourse inexpensive massage. And if time is there, get a nice chinese food.

And if ever I want to have vegetarian which is very rare, Saravana Bhavan in 26th street and Lexington.

In Manhattan - prefer the kebabs on the roadside stalls, dinner in little italy, a inexpensive massage in Chinatown. In Queens, love the Chinatown in Flushing - shop for fresh fruits and fish, fresh chicken like in India, less than $10 haircut and ofcourse inexpensive massage. And if time is there, get a nice chinese food.

I'm a Queens boy, grew up in Queens, South Side Jamaica Queens, one of the roughest neighborhoods in New York City.

Man! I miss Queens soo much :cry::cry::cry:

Yeah I want to live in Manhattan in the future. Which borough do you reside in if you don't mind me asking?

I was born in Hell's Kitchen during its glorious days. We fought and played with all different ethnic groups and it was fun. When I was young the city was indeed never sleep. However for the few decades even Manhattan is a little quiet at night.

I now live in Bay Ridge section, a few blocks off Verrazano-Narrow Bridge. Great views and not too far from Manhattan by trains.

Recent years the City invests heavily to fix up the subway systems, and now is relative clean and safe for the riders. In fact I haven't drove into the city for the past 20 years. Of course the tunnel rats are famous in NY, but they don't venture out.

This is my town and the greatest and most exciting city to be in. The darn fools who attacked New York City on 9/11 did'nt realize that they were attacking the most accommodating and cosmopolitan city in the World. But those cowards never broke the spirit of my town. New York City remains the most liberal city in the USA and even after that cowardly attack on civilians is still the biggest defender of all cultures and all religions. There are close to a million Muslims who call New York City home and for most part they are treated with respect and are supported by their fellow New Yorkers. Viva Nueva York.

Astoria, Queens

astoria_queens_5_10_2009_012.jpg

File50.jpg

astoria-park.jpg

P1010052.jpg

1239713158_420.jpg

astoria-park.jpg

Thank you Desert Fox for these pictures of Astoria Park. This my favourite hang out place in Astoria during Spring and Summer time in the evenings. I jog in the tracks shown above ( right below the Triborough Bridge - Part of Astoria Park). Later I jog/walk the shore blvd by East River all the way the Con Edison Power generator Building and walk back and forth by the river few times. Love the soft ice cream truck and enjoy the ice cream while I jog and walk. If you are in the neighborhood, we should get together some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Queens boy, grew up in Queens, South Side Jamaica Queens, one of the roughest neighborhoods in New York City.

I drove along Atlantic Ave from Van Wyck Expressway to Cross Island Parkway yesterday and it seems the neighborhood is pretty good now. But then I stayed on Atlantic only and didn't venture toward Liberty Ave.

Because the value of real estate properties, many neighborhoods are revitalized by home owners. Of course rough 'ghettos' are turning for the worst.

IMO, NYC is a better place to live in now than, let say, 20 years ago. And with many new Asian immigrants it sort of exciting when I jog through all different ethnic neighborhoods on weekends. I savor such moments.

Thank you Desert Fox for these pictures of Astoria Park. This my favourite hang out place in Astoria during Spring and Summer time in the evenings. I jog in the tracks shown above ( right below the Triborough Bridge - Part of Astoria Park). Later I jog/walk the shore blvd by east river all the way the Con Edison Power generator Building and walk back and forth by the river few times. Love the soft ice cream truck and enjoy the ice cream while I jog and walk. If you are in the neighborhood, we should get together some time.

Thanks, i love Astoria, its one of my favorite neighborhoods in Queens alongside Main street flushing, sunny side/woodside, Hillside avenue, Forest hills, 71st avenue, and so many more, i just can't remember all of them, its been a while since the last time i've been to Queens, moved out from there 4 years ago to Staten Island, Staten Island is nice but Queens is Queens.

I drove along Atlantic Ave from Van Wyck Expressway to Cross Island Parkway yesterday and it seems the neighborhood is pretty good now. But then I stayed on Atlantic only and didn't venture toward Liberty Ave.

Because the value of real estate properties, many neighborhoods are revitalized by home owners. Of course rough 'ghettos' are turning for the worst.

IMO, NYC is a better place to live in now than, let say, 20 years ago. And with many new Asian immigrants it sort of exciting when I jog through all different ethnic neighborhoods on weekends. I savor such moments.

True, it aint that bad now, 20 years ago there was a lot of terrible things, the crack epidemic and gang violence, its still there but on a small scale, giuliani did a hell of a job clamping down on these gangs.

Why did you choose to live in SSJ Queens? As you stated rough place to live.

Why did you choose to live in SSJ Queens? As you stated rough place to live.

He said he grew up in that neighborhood. As a kid do you really have a choice ? You live where your parents live. You do not have a choice.

With due respect, your question does not make much sense, Bro.

He said he grew up in that neighborhood. As a kid do you really have a choice ? You live where your parents live. You do not have a choice.

With due respect, your question does not make much sense, Bro.

Well then why did his parents decide to live in SSJ Queens...? Could have lived somewhere else in Queens or for that matter in NY. I don't see why anyone would want to raise their children there, especially with the reputation that place has.

Well then why did his parents decide to live in SSJ Queens...? Could have lived somewhere else in Queens or for that matter in NY. I don't see why anyone would want to raise their children there, especially with the reputation that place has.

Most people live in bad neighborhood because the rents are cheaper. Most, if not all, newly immigrants in NY history live in poor and dangerous neighborhoods when they first arrived. They worked hard and saved, and eventually moved to better pastures.

NYC is a city of immigrants and without them the city is dead, literally.

Back
Top Bottom