10edwards-bartonhouse.jpg

Walk_In_New_York_Staten_Island_Historic_Richmond_T  own_013-framed.jpg

rtownjpg-ff13d39fb4cd2e46_large.jpg

richmondtown.jpg

Walk_In_New_York_Staten_Island_Historic_Richmond_T  own_010-framed.jpg

Walk_In_New_York_Staten_Island_Historic_Richmond_T  own_017-framed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Harlem

Harlem is one of those neighborhoods in NYC where its not safe tp drive during the evening and night. The place is overrun by Street Gangs who won't hesitate to harm anyone. The local Street Gangs (which have been increasing due to the influx of Latino and African descendant Caribbean immigrants) have continuous turf wars which intensify during summer, the place is really messed up, even the Cops don't bother going there anymore. Also, it is a hotbed for illegal gun and drug traffic. Recently due to the budget cuts and the reduction of NYPD Cops Harlem has only gotten worse and it isn't safe for outsiders to venture in this area of upper Manhattan.

Good ol Harlem back in the day (too bad its not like that anymore)

its one heck of a city i went there a few years back with my family and its a beautiful place time square never seen any thing like it i was amazed by the architecture of the brooklyn bridge i would sure want to be there

i was at a jazz club in Harlem last summer......i was there until 3:00 latenight and walked back to my friend's apartment wearing an Omega wristwatch and carrying some cash.

i had no problems

from what i hear, harlem used to be a shyte-hole but now its developing and in fact it is desirable real estate now. There were areas of Brooklyn and even parts of Manhatten --such as hell's kitchen -- that were once no-man's land

i was at a jazz club in Harlem last summer......i was there until 3:00 latenight and walked back to my friend's apartment wearing an Omega wristwatch and carrying some cash.

i had no problems
Really? Not sure when or where you were but i know people personally who were mugged, Pakistani Taxi drivers who were robbed, some even killed at gun point, there was this one case when a whole group of street thugs tried to block the way of a Taxi Cab while trying to bust its windows but fortunately the driver didn't panic and sped out of the block. NYC has some very rough neighborhoods and having lived in South Jamaica Queens (notorious for drug Kingpins and famous rappers like 50 cent) i know what i'm talking about, spending one night in Jazz clubs doesn't give you the experience of 14 years of living in one of the roughest places in America.

from what i hear, harlem used to be a shyte-hole but now its developing and in fact it is desirable real estate now.
Not really, although there has been some improvements however it is insignificant,how can Harlem be developing when the whole city is experiencing budget cuts? In fact during times of recession neighborhoods like Harlem, South Jamaica Queens, Lower Bronx and parts of Brooklyn like Flatbush are the least desirable places to live in. Jamaica Estates is a wealthy middle class neighborhood however recently since the recession it has been experiencing an increase in street crimes.

That's the down side to NYC, Manhattan is the only superb burrough. It should probably be given Hong Kong status, special administrative, so Manhattan can govern itself and not have to put up with the politics of the other burroughs and state.

Jackson Heights I hear is one nasty place, full of peasant class "desis" from Bangladesh and Hindustan. The area I hear is crime ridden. Most of the whites have moved out of the area, since the arrival of these groups.

I am surprised. I thought the Americans were pretty strict on immigration.

I've never been to the US by the way, but have always been fascinated with the country. Yes, ironic since I mostly grew up abroad in over 5 countries :lol:

Jackson Heights isnt a crap hole but it's no Fifth Avenue......everything is relative

but if you're feeling homesick and you are itching for good Pakistani food --well then it's a very good place to be.

One of my favorite old TV sitcoms is "Welcome back, Kotter".

Most TV shows are so generic and bland, they could be placed anywhere. But "Welcome back, Kotter" is quintessentially New York. To me it captures the old essence of Brooklyn/Queens to a T.

new-york-night-lights-aerial-picture_9739.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

manhattan_panorama_under_clouds1.jpg

Panorama

Back
Top Bottom