What's new

Stanford DNA survey finds all humans are 99.9% the same.

Kompromat

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
DNA survey finds all humans are 99.9pc the same

By Roger Highfield, Science Editor12:01AM GMT 20 Dec 2002

dna_2330322b.jpg

Whether you hail from Surbiton, Ulan Bator or Nairobi, your genetic make-up is strikingly similar to that of every other person on Earth, an analysis concludes today.

Although scientists have long recognised that, despite physical differences, all human populations are genetically similar, the new work concludes that populations from different parts of the world share even more genetic similarities than previously assumed.All humans are 99.9 per cent identical and, of that tiny 0.1 per cent difference, 94 per cent of the variation is among individuals from the same populations and only six per cent between individuals from different populations.Nonetheless, the team found that tiny differences in DNA can provide enough information to identify the geographic ancestry of individual men and women.

The results of the study, published today in the journal Science, have implications for understanding ancient human migrations and for resolving an ongoing debate about the use of family histories in medical research, said Prof Marcus Feldman of Stanford University who led the team.The team analysed DNA from 1,056 people from 52 populations in five major geographic regions of the world: Africa, Eurasia (Europe, the Middle East, Central and South Asia), East Asia, Oceania and the Americas.

To identify specific populations, the research team looked for 377 "microsatellites" - short segments of human DNA that occur in specific patterns, which are passed down from generation to generation. "Each microsatellite had between four and 32 distinct types," Prof Feldman said. "Most were found in people from several continents, suggesting that only a tiny fraction of genetic traits are distinctive to specific populations.

This means that visible differences between human groups - such as skin colour and skull shape - result from differences in a very small proportion of genetic traits." Using powerful statistical techniques that use many independent genes it was possible to pinpoint the ancestral continent of virtually every individual from Africa, East Asia, Oceania and the Americas. People from Eurasia - which includes Europe, the Middle East and Central/South Asia - were among the most difficult to assign ancestries, Prof Feldman noted, due to a "complex history of migrations, conquests and trade over the past few thousand years."

DNA survey finds all humans are 99.9pc the same - Telegraph

This thread is aimed at the inhouse racists on Defence.pk

If we're all 99.9pc the "same", then that 0.1 must make hell of a lot of difference when one takes into consideration historically established facts.

You should probably read the article first, 0.1% is "accounted variables" or "margin of error" that scientists record during studies. Racial theory is bogus,only racists stick on to it with their false hopes.

Of course the genetic make-up is very similar as DNA is a moderately stable nucleic acid, hence mutations are rare in DNA or should I say uncommon. However, when mutations do occur they can be literally life-changing, they can alter the biology, phenotype, and other factors of the person who possesses the mutated gene.

Let's look at immunology for example, when someone needs a bone marrow transplant, that bone marrow transplant must come from someone of the same race or ethnicity of the patient and that bone marrow must match the blood and be accepted by the patient's immune system. If you were to put a bone marrow of a person of a foreign/different race into the patient, the patient would most likely die as his or her immune system would reject and attack the newly installed bone marrow and treat it as a hostile foreign body. This is because the bone marrow cells of the donor must be very similar to that of the patient, this is where that .1% becomes a huge factor. Genetic similarity or difference is the reason why the bone marrow must come from someone of the same race/ethnic background.

You can imagine this is a issue with mixed-race children, it becomes a very difficult task to find a bone marrow that the mixed-race patient's body will accept due to genetics.

I hope you all don't deny the existence of race all because of the 99.9% figure, after all we are 98% different from chimpanzees; and yet we are considerably distinguishable from them as a different species.

In the future, I think genetic differences will probably grow, as additional mutations occur, I could be wrong as well, but the trend for the past tens of thousands of years is genetic mutations will continue to occur at a relatively moderate rate.

If that 0.1% difference includes the presence or absence of monoamine oxidase A in a person's gene, then that is huge in terms of human behavior.

Genetic and metabolic studies have been done on a large kindred in which several males are affected by a syndrome of borderline mental retardation and abnormal behavior. The types of behavior that occurred include impulsive aggression, arson, attempted rape, and exhibitionism. Analysis of 24-hour urine samples indicated markedly disturbed monoamine metabolism. This syndrome was associated with a complete and selective deficiency of enzymatic activity of monoamine oxidase A (MAOA). In each of five affected males, a point mutation was identified in the eighth exon of the MAOA structural gene, which changes a glutamine to a termination codon. Thus, isolated complete MAOA deficiency in this family is associated with a recognizable behavioral phenotype that includes disturbed regulation of impulsive aggression.

Abnormal behavior associated with a point mutation in the structural gene for monoamine oxidase A

Genetics of aggression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Any society where majority of males are rapists and criminals must be having MAO-A deficiency. That is why in some societies men rape and murder while in another society men become humble students.

No human races are not all the same.

If that 0.1% difference includes the presence or absence of monoamine oxidase A in a person's gene, then that is huge in terms of human behavior.

Genetics of aggression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Any society where majority of males are rapists and criminals must be having MAO-A deficiency. That is why in some societies men rape and murder while in another society men become humble students.

No human races are not all the same.

We can see an example of this in history. I will not give these examples right now so as to not hurt anyone's sentiments due to religious reasons in this Holy Muslim Month. However, if i get the chance after the passage of this Holy Month i will post these historically established facts that no one can deny or prove otherwise.

We can see an example of this in history. I will not give these examples right now so as to not hurt anyone's sentiments due to religious reasons in this Holy Muslim Month. However, if i get the chance after the passage of this Holy Month i will post these historically established facts that no one can deny or prove otherwise.

Sir jeee Iftar ke baaad kar deiiin ! :D

Oi @Aeronaut @Hyperion & @Dillinger - This can't be true ! :pissed:

I'm not the same as @Marshmallow , I don't have a tail or two horns protruding from my head ! :whistle:

Just kidding, Marsha ! :D

What I meant to say was that none of us men are kind & caring angels like @Talon @Marshmallow & @Hermione G ! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir jeee Iftar ke baaad kar deiiin ! :D

Oi @Aeronaut @Hyperion & @Dillinger - This can't be true ! :pissed:

I'm not the same as @Marshmallow , I don't have a tail or two horns protruding from my head ! :whistle:

Just kidding, Marsha ! :D

What I meant to say was that none of us men are kind & caring angels like @Talon @Marshmallow & @Hermione G ! :)

Lol, i don't think i will have time after iftar.

BTW, why so eager for me to post now? Sabar ker lein Ramzan ke bad post ker dun ga.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, i don't think i will have time after iftar.

BTW, why so eager for me to post now? Sabar ker lein Ramzan ke bad post ker dun ga.

Everyone would've forgotten by then & then when you post something....most people would be like 'Ummmh....ummmmh....so whats happening on the other threads' ! :unsure:

Of course the genetic make-up is very similar as DNA is a moderately stable nucleic acid, hence mutations are rare in DNA or should I say uncommon. However, when mutations do occur they can be literally life-changing, they can alter the biology, phenotype, and other factors of the person who possesses the mutated gene.

Let's look at immunology for example, when someone needs a bone marrow transplant, that bone marrow transplant must come from someone of the same race or ethnicity of the patient and that bone marrow must match the blood and be accepted by the patient's immune system. If you were to put a bone marrow of a person of a foreign/different race into the patient, the patient would most likely die as his or her immune system would reject and attack the newly installed bone marrow and treat it as a hostile foreign body. This is because the bone marrow cells of the donor must be very similar to that of the patient, this is where that .1% becomes a huge factor. Genetic similarity or difference is the reason why the bone marrow must come from someone of the same race/ethnic background.

You can imagine this is a issue with mixed-race children, it becomes a very difficult task to find a bone marrow that the mixed-race patient's body will accept due to genetics.

I hope you all don't deny the existence of race all because of the 99.9% figure, after all we are 98% different from chimpanzees; and yet we are considerably distinguishable from them as a different species.

In the future, I think genetic differences will probably grow, as additional mutations occur, I could be wrong as well, but the trend for the past tens of thousands of years is genetic mutations will continue to occur at a relatively moderate rate.

There are only 4 races right? If not then finding bone marrow become even more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom