What's new

Ship with banned sat phone intercepted, crew arrested

exactly,this is good news

BTW if these guys are criminals or terrorists they should be given maximum punishment possible under law

Frankly speaking i didn't expected this kind of reaction and our SIGNIT capability , well they are making sure no 26/11 happens.

Whether they were doing something illegal or not depends on the law of the land, doesn't it? Thuraya phones are illegal in India since 2010. These people were within India's territorial jurisdiction, as the article states (12 kms). Therefore they were in violation of Indian law.

And from their subsequent behavior, it is obvious that they were fully aware of this. Why else would they throw the phones overboard when they saw the ICG approaching? Did they do so in a fit of rage because thee batteries ran out?

I am questioning the legality of the law itself. Technically it doesn't make any sense. Are you telling me that there is no other satellite voice communication system in use in India? You must joking.

I am questioning the legality of the law itself. Technically it doesn't make any sense. Are you telling me that there is no other satellite voice communication system in use in India? You must joking.

It is an Indian law that applies only in India how can you question the legality of such a law? And personal sat phones are outlawed and their is a lot of scrutiny on their use by Indian intel agencies so the chances of them being around in India are very unlikely.

Why is one video streaming site banned in Pakistan and not others? Just cause govt found some problem with that particular site.
It is the same, the security agencies had trouble with that company so govt banned it.

Only regulated one's are allowed, as the one in Ambani's luxury Yatch for example.

It is an Indian law that applies only in India how can you question the legality of such a law? And personal sat phones are outlawed and their is a lot of scrutiny on their use by Indian intel agencies so the chances of them being around in India are very unlikely.

Personal satellite phones are not outlawed in India...you need a licence from Dept of Telecom to use them and can only use Dep. Of Telecom specified handsets and services.... only Inmarsat Satphones....thuraya satellite phones are banned in India as it is widely used by terrorists in Kashmir....

Personal satellite phones are not outlawed in India...you need a licence from Dept of Telecom to use them and can only use Dep. Of Telecom specified handsets and services.... only Inmarsat Satphones....thuraya satellite phones are banned in India as it is widely used by terrorists in Kashmir....

Yes, this is what I meant (sort of lol!)

The law is very sketcthy and many people have fallen prey to it
Eco activist Andy Pag arrested in India - Telegraph
Then people say india is "Tourist friendly" :lol:

The cost Guard are illiterate as i previously mentioned ...The law applies to Indian soils only...
For ship crew here are the guidelines.

http://www.nepia.com/publications/industrynews/legal/asia/1261/

Vessels with satellite phones onboard must include the phone(s) particulars when submitting their Pre Arrival Notification on Security (PANS).

The law is very sketcthy and many people have fallen prey to it
Eco activist Andy Pag arrested in India - Telegraph
Then people say india is "Tourist friendly" :lol:

The cost Guard are illiterate as i previously mentioned ...The law applies to Indian soils only...
For ship crew here are the guidelines.

North - Industry News: Government of India Satellite Phone Ban | www.nepia.com
Andy Pag was arrested because he didnot have a licence to carry a Sat Phone...you have to register with the Dept of Telecom in advance if you are a tourist to carry a Sat phone in India...this is because Sat phone signals are hard to intercept and hence require a licence for the operator to use them...you can inform the authorities at the airport when you arrive and they will help in procuring a licence or you can keep the same in their custody until you receive your licence

Ok found it..
Here are the exact wordings of the law or circular issued by india in may 2012

DGS Order No. 02 of 2012
No:48-NT(1)/2012
Subject:
Dated: 17.05.2012
Usage of Thuraya, Irridum and other such Satellite Communication in
Indian Waters.
The Directorate is receipt of letter from Ministry of Shipping, along with copy of
MHA fax message No. 122014/HS/2011 dated 12/9/2011 on the above subject.
The use of Thuraya, Irridum and other such Satellite phone is banned in India
under Sec 6 of Indian Wireless Act and Sec 20 of Indian Telegraph Act. It is intimated to
all Shipping companies / Shipping agents that use of Thuraya, Irridum and other such
Satellite is banned in Indian waters and seafarers should not us the same.
Satellite phones can be used only after a no objection certificate is issued by
Department of Telecommunications (***) on a case to case basis.
The shipping agents should mandatorily intimate the details of person carrying
Thuraya and the particulars of Thuraya, Irridum and other such sets in Pre Arrival
Notification on Security (PANS).
The unauthorized holder of Thuraya, Irridum and other such Satellite phone can
be prosecuted under Sec 6 of Indian Wireless Act and Sec 20 of Indian Telegraph Act.
Above may please be circulated amongst your members for larger benefit of
awareness.
This issues with approval of Director General of Shipping.
Sd/-
(K. H. Mehta)
Sr. Radio Surveyor

This is from the Dept of Telecom website re. use of Sat phone services

http://www.***.gov.in/inmarsat/inmarsatindex.htm

replace the hidden words with abbrievation of Dept of Telecom

the law is vague and self contradictory...
in one place it only bans the "use" of thuraya and all sat phones in Indian waters.
The use of Thuraya, Irridum and other such Satellite phone is banned in India
under Sec 6 of Indian Wireless Act and Sec 20 of Indian Telegraph Act. It is intimated to
all Shipping companies / Shipping agents that use of Thuraya, Irridum and other such
Satellite is banned in Indian waters and seafarers should not us the same.

on another place it completely bans entering indian waters with any type of satellite phone including inmarsat which are fixed installations on almost all ships these days.

The unauthorized holder of Thuraya, Irridum and other such Satellite phone can
be prosecuted under Sec 6 of Indian Wireless Act and Sec 20 of Indian Telegraph Act.

For INMARSAT which is operated by TATA in India and security agencies have full access to all commun ications through the system,the Indian law only allows Government agencies to have inmarsat mini (the phone).

NOC for INMARSAT Mini �M� and M-4 Terminals shall be issued only to the Government departments for all areas of the country and for Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) for specific areas other than barred areas with the approval of DDG (CS) and NOC for INMARSAT Mini �M� and M-4 Terminals for PSUs for barred areas (Punjab, J&K, North-East States and also the coastal areas of Gujarat, Tamilnadu and border districts of Rajasthan) shall be issued on case by case basis after getting clearance from MHA. In case of PSUs, the application should either be submitted by CMD himself or copy of his approval should be enclosed with the application.

� NOC for INMARSAT Mini �M� and M-4 Terminals for a foreigner/ accredited Media & news Agencies shall be issued on case by case basis after getting clearance from MHA.

No, I'm not telling you that there is no OTHER satellite voice communication system in India. I only said thuraya systems are banned, which they are. Of course there are OTHER satellite voice communication systems in India. This is because Thuraya failed to provide the GoI with the tools to block signals when deemed necessary. The Department of Telecommunications should have the technical ability to intercept or block the signals of any electronic communication as and when deemed necessary to disrupt terrorist networks and their communications. Any service provider that fails to provide this assurance to the Dept of Telecom will be in violation of Section 4 of Indian Telegraph Act, 1885. Blackberry was also briefly banned in India for the same reason, until they upgraded their network to comply with this law.

Govt cracks down on use, import of Thuraya satphones - Indian Express

Thuraya Satellite set phone service banned in India

You can't question the "legality of the law", that doesn't make sense. If that's the law, that's what is legal. That is like saying that you question the "blueness of blue" or the "sweetness of sweet". You can question the CONSTITUTIONALITY of a certain law, that is, whether passing such a law is in accordance with the constitutional rights and freedoms. The constitutionality of a law can be challenged in court. Since this law has been in place since 1885, before most modern forms of communication were even invented, I am sure that its constitutionality has been established beyond doubt by now. If not, then the lawyers for these fellows can (and will) challenge the validity of the Telegraph act of 1885.

On Topic
The consignment was meant to be bound for Manish Market(famous for smuggled goods) in Mumbai and the goats which were of a rare breed for Crawford Market as it easily fetches 1-3 lacs as being a rare breed....the smugglers were promised Rs. 30 Lacs for the consignment of Electronics, liquour, cigarettes and goats on successful delivery of the same...the sat phone was used by the smugglers to be in contact with their handlers and hence were ditched when they were spotted...out of the 30 goats one goat died and hence was thrown overboard when the coast guard came near the dhow

The GMDSS area will be IOR
INMARSAT- has been part of ships GMDSS certificate as option not mandatory since early 2000sand that includes satellite telephony..
You are confusing mandatory and optional requirements of GMDSS...A ship can keep satellite telephony as part of their GMDSS equipment......
Thuraya is banned on indian soil but an that law be extended to indian sea territory? that has to be approved by IMO and published in maritime publications....

Upto a certain limit i will keep ignoring your uncalled for and childish sarcasm....

Its same as ECDIS raster charts which are optional but not illegal,and Admirality paper charts which are legal requirement.

LOLL, the GMDSS area will be IOR??? Don't confuse GMDSS with INMARSAT areas. ;)
Also relate that to the type and flag of the vessel which has run afoul of the regulations in this instance.

Thuraya is not acceptable as part of Ship Station Installations. Show me a Ship Station License which says that it is. These documents as well as ITU requirements are something that my guys in Ops had to deal with. Just think about the key-word "installation".

Leave ECDIS for later...... :D

Back
Top Bottom