What's new

Ship with banned sat phone intercepted, crew arrested

its very normal for ship crew to use satellite phones as no gsm signal in sea
thuraya has good coverage over Indian ocean and low tariffs that's why popular among ship crew in the area.
those illiterate lot cattle ships please google it.
goats and live animals are shipped round the world for meat
India has banned thuraya but have they banned iridium?

Did you purposely not read the OP comments in the original post?

Nice. Rape, bestiality are both banned topics, and capitalizing "hindu" (deliberately of course) also makes it a religious insult. Even a relatively minor news item like this can bring out the bigots, and demonstrate the workings of their minds. They see something about "goats", and guess where their minds immediately go? PDF is amazing, in how it can make some of its members reveal their secret fetishes.

Post reported btw.

Did you purposely not read the OP comments in the original post?

I don't need to read it, because I happen to be the OP who WROTE it.

My comments had nothing to do with rape or DRDO or hindus. Nothing in the post (article or my comments) had anything to do with any of that.

Your troll post, insulting hindus and DRDO and fantasizing about rape all show your mentality, and nothing more.

its very normal for ship crew to use satellite phones as no gsm signal in sea
thuraya has good coverage over Indian ocean and low tariffs that's why popular among ship crew in the area.
those illiterate lot cattle ships please google it.
goats and live animals are shipped round the world for meat
India has banned thuraya but have they banned iridium?

Hey hey, goats n lambs are dime a dozen in India, but who would import just 30 of them?

Satellite phones are banned in India irrespective of BRANDS.

To some posters, if these guy were so bloody innocent, then wouldn;t have to throw the Sat phone into the ocean, right?

India is a member of inmarsat consortium and has earth stations for the inmarsat constellation.
that is a whole range if satcom fsscilities including satellite phone for ships and all ships in the world have satellite phones fitted now.
by that definition India will have to arrest all ships entering their docks
plus by international laws a foreign ship crew us nort bound to Indian laws as long as they are onboatd theirs ship.
india could only arrest them if they had used the phone in Indian soil.
Indian coast guard are ignorant of international maritime laws and need education.

plus the news report mentions a whole lot of cargo on the ship including Electronics from Dubai not just goats.
goats were part of the cargo.

underlying reason of arrests seem to be something other than sat phone and goats.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livestock_carrier

www.***.gov.in/inmarsat/inmarsatindex.htm

India is a member of inmarsat consortium and has earth stations for the inmarsat constellation.
that is a whole range if satcom fsscilities including satellite phone for ships and all ships in the world have satellite phones fitted now.

plus by international laws a foreign ship crew us nort bound to Indian laws as long as they are onboatd theirs ship.
Indian coast guard are ignorant of international maritime laws and need education.

plus the news report mentions a whole lot of cargo on the ship including Electronics from Dubai not just goats.

underlying reason of arrests seem to be something other than sat phone and goats.

Hey Junior t.t.; you do not know what you are talking about! May be you need an education.
INMARSAT intallations on board are not the satellite phones being talked about. INMARSAT is a Licensed Commns network used at sea and monitored by Intl. conventions. Thuraya is not and cannot be part of a ship's approved Comms apparatus and cannot be part of a Ship Station Installation neither can it be endorsed on a Ship's SRT Cert. Thuraya is not a recognised means of Marine radio Comms. while INMARSAT is.
No ship can legally use Thuraya for any means of legal communication. Do not mix up the two. And avoid talking about Maritime Laws; its simply outside your ken.

Hey Junior t.t.; you do not know what you are talking about! May be you need an education.
INMARSAT intallations on board are not the satellite phones being talked about. INMARSAT is a Licensed Commns network used at sea and monitored by Intl. conventions. Thuraya is not and cannot be part of a ship's approved Comms apparatus and cannot be part of a Ship Station Installation neither can it be endorsed on a Ship's SRT Cert. Thuraya is not a recognised means of Marine radio Comms. while INMARSAT is.
No ship can legally use Thuraya for any means of legal communication. Do not mix up the two. And avoid talking about Maritime Laws; its simply outside your ken.

here here mr.maritime lawyer...
this thing exists.its an INMARSAT phone
Inmarsat Satellite Phones - iSatPhone PRO Features & Applications

you are right that this equipment is a liscenced and certified part of ship's installations .
But at the same time maritime laws allow ship crew to have their "Belongings" which can include satellite phones as long as its declared in the lists faxed to maritime authorities before arrival.
The maritime authorities of port of destination can the object,ask captain to lock such items in his locker or hand over to harbour master on arrival..None of that is an arrestable offense.
Foreign authorities need captain's or owners or court's permission to board a foreign ship and cannot just go onboard and arrest foreign crew....
But they have the right to arrest the ship itself and bar it from leaving their territories,and the present the case in a maritime court.

and no maritime laws is my home turf...you may try and argue with me on that :D

Of all the things why did they throw the phone overboard, and killed goats?

Of all the things why did they throw the phone overboard, and killed goats?

too many conspiracy theories flying about...and may be the ship crew were indian citizens and thats why arrested.....good for them..

For legal and technical debate popye has written some good comments and i have replied...

too many conspiracy theories flying about...and may be the ship crew were indian citizens and thats why arrested.....good for them..

For legal and technical debate popye has written some good comments and i have replied...

You are on the thread which says the following in the opening post:

When the Coast Guard officials stepped on board 'MSV Yusufi', the crew threw its satellite phone overboard.
Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian...-intercepted-crew-arrested.html#ixzz2PaqV53d9

What is the conspiracy here?
If you wanna evade the answer its up to you.

here here mr.maritime lawyer...
this thing exists.its an INMARSAT phone
Inmarsat Satellite Phones - iSatPhone PRO Features & Applications

you are right that this equipment is a liscenced and certified part of ship's installations .
But at the same time maritime laws allow ship crew to have their "Belongings" which can include satellite phones as long as its declared in the lists faxed to maritime authorities before arrival.
The maritime authorities of port of destination can the object,ask captain to lock such items in his locker or hand over to harbour master on arrival..None of that is an arrestable offense.
Foreign authorities need captain's or owners or court's permission to board a foreign ship and cannot just go onboard and arrest foreign crew....
But they have the right to arrest the ship itself and bar it from leaving their territories,and the present the case in a maritime court.

and no maritime laws is my home turf...you may try and argue with me on that :D

No mr junior t.t.; the matter is about a Thuraya phone WHICH IS NOT AND CANNOT BE A PART OF A SHIP STATION INSTALLATION AND CANNOT BE ENDORSED ON A SHIP STATION LICENCE.
Same for the ISatphone.
Can the Thuraya Phone be assigned an MMSI No.?
Can it be linked to an IMO No.?
What are the Sea Areas under GMDSS that would apply to it?
Can the Captain's mobile phone be considered to be part of the Ship Station? :azn:

That Miyan; is the rules. No unregulated radio set can be used for Marine Transmissions.
Don't tell me about Maritime Laws! :lol: Tell me about life on Livestock Transport Ships instead! :D

Or about Net-Centric Warfare? ;)

No mr junior t.t.; the matter is about a Thuraya phone WHICH IS NOT AND CANNOT BE A PART OF A SHIP STATION INSTALLATION AND CANNOT BE ENDORSED ON A SHIP STATION LICENCE.
Same for the ISatphone.
Can the Thuraya Phone be assigned an MMSI No.?
Can it be linked to an IMO No.?
What are the Sea Areas under GMDSS that would apply to it?
Can the Captain's mobile phone be considered to be part of the Ship Station? :azn:

That Miyan; is the rules. No unregulated radio set can be used for Marine Transmissions.
Don't tell me about Maritime Laws! :lol: Tell me about life on Livestock Transport Ships instead! :D

Or about Net-Centric Warfare? ;)

The GMDSS area will be IOR
INMARSAT- has been part of ships GMDSS certificate as option not mandatory since early 2000sand that includes satellite telephony..
You are confusing mandatory and optional requirements of GMDSS...A ship can keep satellite telephony as part of their GMDSS equipment......
Thuraya is banned on indian soil but an that law be extended to indian sea territory? that has to be approved by IMO and published in maritime publications....

Upto a certain limit i will keep ignoring your uncalled for and childish sarcasm....

Its same as ECDIS raster charts which are optional but not illegal,and Admirality paper charts which are legal requirement.

This proves navy and coast guards working well in tracking small ships.

exactly,this is good news

BTW if these guys are criminals or terrorists they should be given maximum punishment possible under law

Back
Top Bottom