What's new

Qatar Airways donates Airbus to Pakistan

India had the money, so it did not ask for it, I dont see any probs with; even with all our problems. The money was delieverd to the various state governments, but as usually corruption; some of them kept it for themselves, even though the books show they have been disperesed, Some of these people were caught by the Tamil nadu police.I am from the south and i know about the whole thing.

I personally dont know what really happenend there, but i have friends here from south who reported govnt did'nt make any effort to provide relief funds and such things to help the people there, instead refused the foreign aid which was offered, thus put more salt on the wounds of victims.

How far the Kerala is from where this disaster happened anyway?

There was lots of money that was gathered from the public though. The PM's refielf fund, etc, etc. All civil servants, police etc contributed one day's salary towards such funds.

There was lots of money that was gathered from the public though. The PM's refielf fund, etc, etc. All civil servants, police etc contributed one day's salary towards such funds.

Ok i believe ya, but what was the main reason the government refused the aid and put their own people in a position to sacrifice their own salary.:confused:

India had the money, so it did not ask for it, I dont see any probs with; even with all our problems. The money was delieverd to the various state governments, but as usually corruption; some of them kept it for themselves, even though the books show they have been disperesed, Some of these people were caught by the Tamil nadu police.I am from the south and i know about the whole thing.

Adu,

India gladly agreed to receive private donations, which kept coming during the first year after the Tsumi struck southern Asia.
She also accepted WB Tsunami aid worth almost $500 million.

India receives $465 million tsunami aid from World Bank

Special Correspondent

Funding for project to help repair or reconstruct 1.40-lakh houses

NEW DELHI: India on Tuesday received $ 465 million as IDA credit from the World Bank for reconstruction and recovery efforts in Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry. These are the two regions severely affected by the tsunami on December 26, 2004.

This aid tranche, according to a World Bank statement here, is part of the multilateral agency's total support of $ 528.5 million for tsunami recovery operations in the country. The `Emergency tsunami reconstruction project' is expected to help repair or reconstruct about 1.40 lakh damaged houses in Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry. It is also to support the reconstruction of public buildings, the revival of livelihoods in fisheries and agriculture, as well as help in capacity-building in housing reconstruction and coastal management. The project also takes into account the Government's commitment not to "rebuild vulnerabilities." The tsunami caused extensive damage in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands and the mainland coastline of Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry. Of the estimated 2.7 million people affected, about 80 per cent were engaged in fisheries, 15 per cent in agriculture and five per cent in small and micro-enterprises. Those who were poor were the worst-hit and accentuated the vulnerability of coastal communities.

The World Bank is working with the Government and other development partners to put in place mechanisms to look at all aspects of development.

The emergency project has five components. The housing segment will finance the provision of transit shelter and upgrading services in temporary shelter sites; the repair and reconstruction of existing houses; the construction of new houses; and the necessary related services and community infrastructure.

A second segment will fund activities to help rebuild the livelihoods of the affected families by restoring damaged fisheries infrastructure, agricultural and horticultural lands, and the repair of the general infrastructure.

Another segment pertaining to `Public buildings and public works' is to help finance small public works such as repair, reconstruction, and upgrading damaged hospitals, public health centres and sub-centres, educational institutions, cyclone shelters, and other public buildings. This also provides support to the restoration of damaged river and drain banks, and replanting of mangrove and shelterbelts in Tamil Nadu.

The other two components are technical assistance and support in implementation.

The total cost of the project is estimated at $ 682.8 million, including contingencies.

Of this, IDA funding of $ 465 million, or about 68 per cent of the total, is proposed.

The standard IDA terms, including a service fee of 0.75 per cent and a maturity period of 35 years will apply.

The balance amount is to be provided by the Centre, Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry.

The World Bank will also contribute an additional $ 63.5 million to the financing of tsunami disaster recovery activities.

http://www.hindu.com/2005/05/05/stories/2005050500821300.htm

Neo, it says Credit, i take that it is as a loan, which has to be repaid.

In any case, the aid was denied to countries. India did not accept aid from countries. NGO's could go and work there i think, but no aid was taken. I think it was not a good move yet. The aid, which was HUGE btw from different countries could have been used to build completely new and improved infrastructure that was not there before the tsunami, but anyways, whats done is done. It did make some good headlines in loads of countries though.

Gift is now rotting at Karachi airport minus engines and nose, it was transferred to PIA a couple of years ago to convert to passenger use, but instead they only opted to keep the engines, the rest is for sale.

As for its status it was a VIP aircraft part of Qatar Amiri fleet in Qatar Airways colour scheme, half of the aircraft is configured with a lounge, bedroom, office and full sized bathroom.

PAF did not need such an aircraft, if they did they would have bought it, it was gifted as a freindly gesture to strengthen ties with the then ruling govt. as well as to gain some favours, it has low cycles on it and can fly for atleast another 15 to 20 years since its a luxury aircraft not used thrice daily every day.

Gift is now rotting at Karachi airport minus engines and nose, it was transferred to PIA a couple of years ago to convert to passenger use, but instead they only opted to keep the engines, the rest is for sale.

As for its status it was a VIP aircraft part of Qatar Amiri fleet in Qatar Airways colour scheme, half of the aircraft is configured with a lounge, bedroom, office and full sized bathroom.

PAF did not need such an aircraft, if they did they would have bought it, it was gifted as a freindly gesture to strengthen ties with the then ruling govt. as well as to gain some favours, it has low cycles on it and can fly for atleast another 15 to 20 years since its a luxury aircraft not used thrice daily every day.
MR. Not so handsome..it's not a handsome idea to open up 8 years old thread with any purpose. Mods can you close this stupid thread please.

@ali_handsome

The Aircraft in reference is not with PIA but with PAF since November 2009.
airbus_a310_pakistan_air_force_02.jpg

Airbus A-310 Gallery : Pakistan Air Force Wallpapers

Please do some research before posting.

To Skywalker,

I revived it because no one gave a proper clarification of it status here, that it was not from QR passenger fleet, that its not a worn out piece of junk used thrice daily commercially, that PAF can afford anything but didnt buy such luxury aircraft because it wasnt needed, they didnt beg for it, it was gifted to the then govt.

To Ace of the Air,

The aircraft was transferred by pre-election interim govt. to PIA, the airline decided to not convert the aircraft and only use its engines, it is for sale now as part of PIA fleet.

To Skywalker,

I revived it because no one gave a proper clarification of it status here, that it was not from QR passenger fleet, that its not a worn out piece of junk used thrice daily commercially, that PAF can afford anything but didnt buy such luxury aircraft because it wasnt needed, they didnt beg for it, it was gifted to the then govt.

To Ace of the Air,

The aircraft was transferred by pre-election interim govt. to PIA, the airline decided to not convert the aircraft and only use its engines, it is for sale now as part of PIA fleet.

Let me tell you what happened to this aircraft from the day it came to Pakistan.
The aircraft was received by the interim govt and given to PIA. Once PIA accepted this aircraft they wanted to convert it to a passenger cum VVIP aircraft but unfortunately the interior of this aircraft was such that the flight attendants would not be possible to see the passengers hence it was not permitted by CAA Pakistan for passengers. Then PIA went to the company who had installed these seats which is based in Germany and asked them to replace them, it was learnt that they had given all the design manuals to the person who had ordered the configuration.

PIA contacted the government for assistance in this regards from where it was learnt that the files are not available. Now PIA had to acquire an other type of licence from the CAA to continue which was given but the limitation was that this aircraft can only be flown for the President and Prime Minister. Now this aircraft was considered a white elephant and it was decided to be given to the G.O.P VVIP Fleet which is under PAF. Hence the aircraft was painted in PAF colour and a PAF registration was also given. From all Civil Aviation Purposes this aircraft has been removed and is no longer a civilian aircraft.

It is a Military aircraft.

PIA leased it's air craft to Emirates for their first aircraft

Today emirates is one of the worlds top airliners and PIA is gone backwards

PIA leased it's air craft to Emirates for their first aircraft

Today emirates is one of the worlds top airliners and PIA is gone backwards

It is called the Mullah Sahib's theory of reverse evolution.........

Back
Top Bottom