What's new

Pakistani violent secularist groups?

TruthSeeker

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
United States
There seem to be many religiously-motivated groups in Pakistan that are willing to resort to extra-judicial killing to advance their agendas. Are there secular or "liberal-Muslim" groups that might mount counter killings of mullahs and religious party leaders? Are there any armed NGO's on the other political side of this violence? Might some arise in response to what is happening? I am curious, I haven't read of any but maybe I just have missed it.

Well, a committed Marxist group could be a violent secular group without being "moderate". Like in India or Peru, for example.

MQM has been like this in the past and some say it still is. And, they call themselves modern and progressive. Their target has been political opponents though, not necessarily the religious ones.

Question is about attitude not of being related to a particular group. Religious groups exploit human emotions more than any other fraction of a society, history shows this.

There are none in Pakistan. There may be groups that use questionable means and yet are still moderate politically, such as the MQM, but none that use violence to promote secularism.

There seem to be many religiously-motivated groups in Pakistan that are willing to resort to extra-judicial killing to advance their agendas. Are there secular or "liberal-Muslim" groups that might mount counter killings of mullahs and religious party leaders? Are there any armed NGO's on the other political side of this violence? Might some arise in response to what is happening? I am curious, I haven't read of any but maybe I just have missed it.

Lets call them the "misguided" groups that misrepresent Islam. Such groups have yet to find any references from Quran which permits any individual to take someone's life for spreading hatred. However Islam (Quran and Hadis sunnah) does mention that if someone is spreading hatred among Muslims he/she should be punished according to the law like exile from state or whipped.
And neither does "secular" type groups represent Islam.

Prophet Mohammed PBUH : "Whoever commits an act which is not a part of our matter (religion), will have it (his act) rejected."

Actually a bunch of us were talking about just that. Fight fire with fire. But then again .. all these kind of groups do just that. Talk.. Talk too much and then you know what happens.

There is no party in Pakistan who officially says they are secularist and anti extremism. However, there are some ethnocentric political parties who are involved in violence, or at least there are allegations that they are. However, usually these ethnocentric parties target others on the basis of ethnicity, not religiosity.

Back
Top Bottom