What's new

Pakistan Navy's answer SM-2 for Brahmos.

Actually it depends on the parameters of the vehicle.
Besides BrahMos-2 will probably be a ramjet-scarmjet hybrid.

Well Russians can pull scram-jet speeds but they aren't reliable. Secondly, what is the speed of proposed Brahmos-2 missile is? Any idea?

India's main fighter would carry only 1 Brahmos , why is that? Su-30 is a freakin' huge aircraft but only 1 ALCM? Tell Russians to improve their quality and decrease the weight of the weapon...lol

And the advent of a counter-measure does not nullify the effect of the weapon in question.

By the time PN possibly inducts and operationalises ESSM, you'll most probably see IN warships with
nice Mach 7 sustained speed SCRAMJET cruise missiles - most possibly difficult to detect with radar
too.

The only countries to have recieved Sea Sparrow thus far are very close in both military & economic
matters to the US. I dont think US will allow sale of ESSM to PN knowing it could lead to tech leaks into
China. Besides, US-Pak relations have not been going very nice since last couple
of years even to think US will sell such a sophisticated defence system that forms part of
the US Navy Aegis.

It has been possible to intercept supersonic targets for quite some time (i.e. low lfying jets). The point is that is was already possible to hit supersonic missiles 10 years ago. Heck, even Goalkeeper CIWS has been able to do that. The difficulty is in timely target detection. The advent of missiles like RAM, ESSM points to efforts to expands the intercept range outward (relative to gunbased systems), not in the last place because the debris of destroyed incoming supersonic missiles still poses a KE-threat to a ship.

Yes its exactly what I said.
And its not just the speed of the BrahMos that makes it unique, but also the advanced guidance system, ECCM features, advanced seeker, compatibility with real time C4I systems, intense maneuverability, various trajectories, robust AI et cetra.
So it is not just a dumb simulated target that an anti air system can simply take out, maybe a large salvo can.

FYI the intended speed of BrahMos-2 is mach-7 and will have scramjet engine.
Ok, you win, Brahmos is an invincible superweapon. Good day.

Arre most important question are they even getting sm-2?i have not seen a single link that definitively says so. I doubt very much coz usa knows technology will end up in chinese ships.

Perhaps if you has actually followed the thread from the start, you would realize that that was the conclusion.

India's main fighter would carry only 1 Brahmos , why is that? Su-30 is a freakin' huge aircraft but only 1 ALCM? Tell Russians to improve their quality and decrease the weight of the weapon...lol

Well, Brahmos is a 3ton missile. As compared to some 900kg for the Kh-59 AShM (3 carried), 600kg for Kh-31 ARM (up to 6 carried) and Kh-35 AShM (up to 4 carried) by the Su-30mki (which can take 8 tons of external stores, compared to F-15Es 10 tons).
Sukhoi Su-30MKI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ah the good ol condescension.

http://blogcritics.org/culture/article/how-to-have-an-open-minded/

freaking kids dont know ***** about anything and arguing like they designed the products

Yeah do take a few points out of those, it may help u from going :offtopic:

It has been possible to intercept supersonic targets for quite some time (i.e. low lfying jets). The point is that is was already possible to hit supersonic missiles 10 years ago. Heck, even Goalkeeper CIWS has been able to do that. The difficulty is in timely target detection. The advent of missiles like RAM, ESSM points to efforts to expands the intercept range outward (relative to gunbased systems), not in the last place because the debris of destroyed incoming supersonic missiles still poses a KE-threat to a ship.

Sure even AK-630M and Phalanx can intercept ASCMs, and so can ESSM and even
IN's Barak-1. But as a matter of fact, no system in the world can guarentee a 100% interception
rate. IN's P-17 frigate has 2 x AK-630Ms and 32 x Barak-1 missiles to intercept inbound
ASCMs, this however does not make Shivalik FFG immune to missiles like C-802 or
AGM-84 Harpoon.

Same applies for ESSM-equipped warships, they are not immune to BrahMos or Yakhont,
or even the Sunburn. Thats what I said "And the advent of a counter-measure does not
nullify the effect of the weapon in question
."

freaking kids dont know ***** about anything and arguing like they designed the products

The only kid around here is you who's making childish comments.

^^^ on a good day if luck has it even a bird can intercept it

this conversation reminds me of the conversation i heard between three villager back when sky lab was falling. Aslam asked Rustum where he think shy lab will fall, Rustum said it depends on the direction of wind, if wind is going to east then it may fall on Akram's house but if its going from east to west it my just fall on Rustum's house. keep it up Rustum

^^^ on a good day if luck has it even a bird can intercept it

What you fail to realise is that the reverse is more possible to happen than otherwise.

this conversation reminds me of the conversation i heard between three villager back when sky lab was falling. Aslam asked Rustum where he think shy lab will fall, Rustum said it depends on the direction of wind, if wind is going to east then it may fall on Akram's house but if its going from east to west it my just fall on Rustum's house. keep it up Rustum

I wasn't even born when SkyLab was falling so I fail to see the funny part. Although I advise you to pay
attention to the part as to where SkyLab really fell.

Heyyyyy i suppose there is another thread already running for BarhMos.........go there...:chilli:

Sure even AK-630M and Phalanx can intercept ASCMs, and so can ESSM and even
IN's Barak-1. But as a matter of fact, no system in the world can guarentee a 100% interception
rate. IN's P-17 frigate has 2 x AK-630Ms and 32 x Barak-1 missiles to intercept inbound
ASCMs, this however does not make Shivalik FFG immune to missiles like C-802 or
AGM-84 Harpoon.

Same applies for ESSM-equipped warships, they are not immune to BrahMos or Yakhont,
or even the Sunburn. Thats what I said "And the advent of a counter-measure does not
nullify the effect of the weapon in question
."

Tell that to your noob collegue, who seems to think Brahmos (or any supersonic AShM for that matter) is unbeatable (and won't accept alternate or more nuanced views).

It talks up its capability to kill sea-skimming missiles - Brahmos flies high so it would be easier.

However - I would wait for CLEAR indication that the SM-2 is being sold to the PN.

Tell that to your noob collegue, who seems to think Brahmos (or any supersonic AShM for that matter) is unbeatable (and won't accept alternate or more nuanced views).

People say what they want to say, I have already said in my post that no missile is invincible and
similarly no missile can be intercepted all the time.

It talks up its capability to kill sea-skimming missiles - Brahmos flies high so it would be easier.

However - I would wait for CLEAR indication that the SM-2 is being sold to the PN.

I expected better knowlegde out of an admin - who is telling you that BrahMos cannot sea-skim?

Just because it can climb to an altitude of upto 14-15km does not mean it stays up there all
the time. It can seaskim just as well as Harpoon or Klub for that matter, albeit with lesser speed of
about 2.2 Mach.

How come you didn't compare it with a CM? There in lies the answer to what I think about its terrain-hugging capabilities - hence it may be shot down by a missile claiming to shoot terrain-hugging missiles.

How come you didn't compare it with a CM? There in lies the answer to what I think about its terrain-hugging capabilities - hence it may be shot down by a missile claiming to shoot terrain-hugging missiles.

First of all, stop comparing LACM to ASCM and claiming one is better because of this/that.

BrahMos Block-II/III LACMs can fly at low altitude quite well, but the problem is the wont be able to exceed subsonic to transonic speeds and just a little above Mach 1 because at low altitude they need to remain agile enough to evade terrain. More speed = less agility (dont confuse maneuverability with agility whatsover).

---

BrahMos Block-I ASCM is a whole different story, it can sea-skim very well because out at the sea, there are no obstacles to evade in order to kill the ship, therefore it can fly at low altitude at upto Mach 2.2-2.5.

Terrain-hugging however is not the aspect BrahMos Block-II/III were designed around. They are designed for speed and supporting accuracy, and coming to the Block-III, it has supersonic steep dive - meaning it will fly at high altitude of ~15km and then make a sudden dive at the target location at max supersonic speed of Mach 3 - useful for striking targets located inside valleys or such terrain, where CMs like BGM-109 Tomahawk or Babur cannot go.

Terrain-hugging and striking targets with a low-altitude approach is something that Nirbhay does, not BrahMos.

You shouldn't forget the aspect of reaction time and interception velocity which are important aspects to consider before saying this can intercept that.

Back
Top Bottom