What's new

Our response will be decisive: Egypt tells Ethiopia on Nile dispute

agentny17

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
Foreign Minister Nabil Fahmy gave Ethiopia the harshest Egyptian warning to Ethiopia in relation to the dispute over Adis Ababa's dam on the Nile River.

In an interview with Tahrir satellite channel late Friday, Fahmy waved “a decisive response” concerning its Renaissance Dam, which Cairo fears would affect its shares of river waters.

Fahmy stressed on Egypt’s right to “defend its national security.”

Fahmy said that he spoke with his US and Russian counterparts during a conference on Libya in Rome two days earlier, and told them that “Adis Ababa should respect international laws which ensure the Egyptian people the right to defend their national security against any dangers.”

Egypt will proceed through the negotiation track, the minister added. He wared, however, that if negotiations fail to bring about a solution that guarantees Egypt’s water security, “Adis Ababa should bear the consequences of that crisis,” adding that “the response will be decisive and at the time determined by the Egyptian people.”

Ethiopia’s state news agency had quoted an unnamed state diplomat as saying that Israel, which enjoys diplomatic relations with both nations, is keen on hashing out a solution for the crisis, a desire expressed during a recent meeting by Israel’s irrigation minister Yair Shamir with Ethiopian PM Hailemariam Desalegn.
Our response will be decisive: Egypt tells Ethiopia on Nile dispute | Egypt Independent

I hope this doesn't escalate, but it sure looks like it will.

I hope things won't get ugly my friend.

Could you please post the interview?

Foreign Minister Nabil Fahmy gave Ethiopia the harshest Egyptian warning to Ethiopia in relation to the dispute over Adis Ababa's dam on the Nile River.

In an interview with Tahrir satellite channel late Friday, Fahmy waved “a decisive response” concerning its Renaissance Dam, which Cairo fears would affect its shares of river waters.

Fahmy stressed on Egypt’s right to “defend its national security.”

Fahmy said that he spoke with his US and Russian counterparts during a conference on Libya in Rome two days earlier, and told them that “Adis Ababa should respect international laws which ensure the Egyptian people the right to defend their national security against any dangers.”

Egypt will proceed through the negotiation track, the minister added. He wared, however, that if negotiations fail to bring about a solution that guarantees Egypt’s water security, “Adis Ababa should bear the consequences of that crisis,” adding that “the response will be decisive and at the time determined by the Egyptian people.”

Ethiopia’s state news agency had quoted an unnamed state diplomat as saying that Israel, which enjoys diplomatic relations with both nations, is keen on hashing out a solution for the crisis, a desire expressed during a recent meeting by Israel’s irrigation minister Yair Shamir with Ethiopian PM Hailemariam Desalegn.
Our response will be decisive: Egypt tells Ethiopia on Nile dispute | Egypt Independent

I hope this doesn't escalate, but it sure looks like it will.

Egypt seeks Saudi help on Ethiopia water dispute
CAIRO — Egypt is considering preparing a formal request for Gulf mediation under the leadership of Saudi Arabia, in order to back Cairo’s stance vis-à-vis the ongoing conflict with Ethiopia about the Renaissance Dam. The mediation request comes as part of a basket of escalatory measures adopted by Egypt in January, following the breakdown of technical negotiations among the Egyptian, Sudanese and Ethiopian water resources ministers.

Speaking to Al-Monitor, an Egyptian government official said, “A detailed report is currently being prepared to examine and explain Egyptian concerns relating to the building of the dam, in the absence of a clear agreement with Ethiopia about it. The final draft of the report, which explains the concerns over the repercussions the construction of the dam will have on Egypt and Sudan, will be sent to the International Panel of Experts.”

The official, who has close ties to Egyptian decision-making circles, added, “Egypt will ask Ethiopia, through the mediation, to sign a binding agreement with Egypt stating the dam’s operational specifications, its stored water capacity, and the amount of water that will be regularly released in a manner that does not negatively affect Egypt’s share of that water.
Read more: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/ori...e-dam-nile-saudi-pressure.html##ixzz2vOcWrkCC

Israel offers to mediate Ethiopia-Egypt dam row
ADDIS ABABA – Israeli Agriculture Minister Yair Shamir has voiced Israel`s readiness to assist Egypt and Ethiopia reach agreement over the latter`s construction of a multibillion-dollar hydroelectric dam on the Nile River.

According to Ethiopia`s state-run news agency, Shamir made the remarks at a Thursday meeting in Addis Ababa with Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Dessalegn.

The agency did not specify how Israel intends to assist both countries in ironing out their differences over the dam.

Relations between Ethiopia and Egypt soured last year over construction of Ethiopia`s Grand Renaissance Dam on the upper reaches of the Nile – Egypt`s main source of water.

The controversial project raised alarm bells in Egypt, the Arab world`s most populous country, which fears a reduction of its traditional share of Nile water.
Israel offers to mediate Ethiopia-Egypt dam row - DireTube - Ethiopian Largest Video Sharing Site

I think Egypt has full Air Force and Naval capability to destroy Ethopia is days.

Government propaganda just like Eritrea. They call it "Oromo" > Ethiopian Muslim. Horns of Africa is Muslim majority.

Only one Third of Ethiopian Population is Muslim, which makes them a minority in Ethiopia, albeit a very large Minority but still a minority ( i.e. less than 50%).

Not really. Has a Muslim Minority....

Will Ethiopia call in Favours for invading and getting rid of the Islamic courts in Somalia for the U.S.?

I hope Egypt doesn't bomb Ethiopia. That place has some truly beautiful black women.

My favorite kind :kiss3:

Gotta watch out for STD's though :fie:

Will Ethiopia call in Favours for invading and getting rid of the Islamic courts in Somalia for the U.S.?

I hope Egypt doesn't bomb Ethiopia. That place has some truly beautiful black women.

My favorite kind :kiss3:

Gotta watch out for STD's though :fie:
Egypt won't bomb Ethiopia. They will find a solution to the Nile water quota. The declaration of Fahmy is for internal consumption. And Egypt does not need a war now...

Back
Top Bottom