What's new

Mig 29 bought for BAF?

I dont know whats wrong with you guys???

SU-30 is the best option. Its a superior aircraft and we have alternate supplier China if anything goes wrong. How Gripen could be any better than Sukuis? Sukuis been building testing those birds for ever.

Its not toy market where you just pick which looks good to you.

You know, Chinese J-11s are very different from SU-30s, they look similar externally but have Chinese radars, avionics, armament, etc. And fairly quantifiably, Chinese weapons and avionics have exceeded the Russians. Quote below is from another discussion on this forum about Bangladesh, SU-30s, and JF-17s, see the underlined bit.

Wasn't it reported that some fighter pilots from friendly countries' airforces were allowed to come to Pakistan and test-fly the JFT? I'm wondering if BAF pilots were among them. If *any* country's pilots are allowed to fly our JF-17s, BAF is likely to be among them.

And all these discussions going on over here about JF-17's comparative performance to various aircraft(Indian).. you have to compare the whole avionics package of an aircraft to understand how it may perform in combat. For example, the JF-17 was designed compatible with China's front-line combat weapons suite. This means it uses the same AAM(Active Radar& Heatseeker missiles), same Laser-Guided Munitions, etc, that their frontline J-10, J-11(SU-30) use. The Pakistanis actually took shipment of the latest SD-10B BVR air-to-air missiles even before the PLAAF took shipment(Pakistan's needs were deemed more urgent as China already has older SD-10 BVR versions, some people also suggested that Pakistan might have some development input in the -B variant given they're taking priority shipments). Along with China's frontline weapons suite, Pakistan has also been acquiring what it likes internationally, like the MAR missiles from Brazil for SEAD(Supression of Enemy Air Defence - destroy enemy radars, SAMs from a safe distance).

The SD-10B, which is China's latest BVR air-to-air missile packs quiet a punch. China has been able to invest alot more in this area(as well as most other areas) compared to the Russians(who face funding problems), and one consequence of this is that the SD-10B offers superior performance to the R-77 BVR missiles that Russia manufactures(and India uses). Even western sources rate the SD-10B to be roughly equal to the AIM-120-C5 missile(slightly older AMRAAM), superior to the R-77.

Also in addition to China's missile-development being much more rapid(and well-funded) compared to the Russians, India has been operating R-77s since the 90's, so these are almost decades old and aren't even the latest and greatest R-77s Russia has been developing. The latest SD-10B has a range of over 100km+. In combat, despite the SU-30 exceeding the JF-17 in some areas, in this critical area, the JF-17 would be able to achieve missile lock at, and shoot down, the Indian jets before they can manage to come close enough.

Being a smaller aircraft(smaller airframe = lesser fuel-carrying capacity), the JF-17 isn't ideal for deep strikes into enemy territory, as it's combat radius is limited(1352km combat radius without external fuel-tanks, 3480km ferry range with fuel-tanks). But for defensive purposes it packs quiet a punch. And 1352km is pretty decent for strike as well, quiet a terror for the enemy, conducting missions over a thousand km inside enemy territory.

Ah come on. You don't honestly have a degree or 'crush' arguments against an economics masters. You sound really rather too young. I'll humour your none the less.

PPP is measured using a basket of stuff to configure spending power. Conventionally it's consumer products like a burgers, haircuts and bicycles etc. If the price of these things is half what it is in Myanmar say, then PPP GDP will reflect this. But PPP is a very tough thing to measure and you shouldn't really consider that when it comes to country comparisons. Only PPP GDP per capita is relevant. When it comes to weaponry, it doesn't figure as I doubt your local arms manufacturers pump out the same weapons as ours at half the $ price. When it comes to imports, PPP is useless as the exchange is made in international currency be it $ or Euro. Therefore, it doesn't matter if dildos in BD cost half as much as they do in Myanmar. To gauge a country's potential defense spending power, you need to look at nominal GDP in $. Unless ofcourse Rosbonexport start accepting chicken curries and cotton cloth as barter payments for their MiGs....

On your point about GDP spend, it makes no sense. If you meant % GDP then you are correct, But this would be measured at the nominal $ value so right now if you spent the same % GDP on defence, you would have double our defence budget. However, remember that we are pretty much under military rule so we will always be willing to outspend a civilian government like BD. Now, this is actually a good thing as the last thing your country needs is tanks and fighter jets.

I'll politely ignore your comment about Arakan.

You really have no clue what you are talking about.

At least 50% of BD military spending will be in salaries, food and accomodation. This is all in local
currency. Yes, things like weapons imports and fuel oil will cost much the same though as they
must be purchased in US dollars.

Remember, over time the BD Taka will "gain" more against the dollar than whatever currency Myanmar uses anyway.

If you want to be educated just let me know and I will be happy to advise you.

US strings attached for Bangladesh, could you please elaborate on this. Why can't we get f16 e/f block 60 for example that UAE invested money to develop, with the latest radar and extra fuel tank. If not e/f we could get c/d version block 52.

Gripen, if it has comparable long range radar like f16 e/f block 60, then it should be ok, though its a smaller lighter plane and not as widely used and as proven as f16. We should also look at Korean KAI FA-50, which I think is comparable to Gripen, but it is very new and not proven. But we could get a few TA-50 trainer/attack version as trainers which could also be used as attack crafts.

I would avoid Chinese planes, as they do not use western avionics. Same with Russian planes, but if they are fitted with Western avionics, they might be ok.

In general I would move away from Chinese and Russian, because of overall quality problems with their products and move towards USA or similar Korean alternatives, if that is a comparable option. Gripen being a Swedish product, I would definitely prefer over Russian or Chinese.

How many of you have actually ridden on a Russian passenger plane? Or Car or used Russian products? May be you can share your experiences. We all use Chinese products everyday so we know about their quality, but have you been in a car made in China?

A plane is no different, in the end they are made by the same country, may be by a different set of people, but product quality and attention to detail is directly related to the human development index of a population.

Overall, for smooth reliable operation, I would stay away from Chinese or Russian products, and for avionics, I would try to get the most powerful longest range radar, as that will determine air superiority.

Here is a bunch of gripen vs f-16 comparison:

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-1029-postdays-0-postorder-asc.html
Gripen Vs F-16 - Military Forum - Battletracker.com
Gripen or F16, what would you choose? [Archive] - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums

But one thing good about gripen only $2000/hr operating cost while for f16 $4500/hr

US arms always comes with some stings attached except to her most closest allies like Israel,
UK or Japan to some extent. Most likely those F16 will be 2nd hand while a 4th ++ gen grippen
can will be brand new. Grippen also has some US tech but we are not an enemy of US yet so
they won't mind Sweden selling it to us. Sweden will also be more inclined to give some amount of TOT than US.

Korean KFX and turkish TFX can be an option but they are still in the drawing board. It won't be
before 2025 at the very least.

Chinese avionics are quite good now and in many cases they surpass western avionics. China
has been an trusted partner of BD and a reliable supplier.:)

But it can't though unless you're at war. It would be political suicide in a poor country like Bangladesh for the government to start buying jet-fighters when you have no real enemies. I don't think any right thinking bangladeshi would approve of getting into an arms race with Myanmar. Even if you do get Flankers it will take a while to train your pilots up to operate them.

The civilian politician as well as civil society were reluctant to military spending before 2008. But after the face off with India and Myanmar it was felt an urgency in every sphere of society that we need a strong military. It was unthinkable even 5 years ago. If you look at our shopping list then you will know that we took things seriously this time around. Even parliament got into it and keeping track of the up gradation.

The modernization is going on with full speed. Myanmar is following the development and trying to match up. But our spending are not directed towards Myanmar. Keep in mind that BD military is prepared to face mighty Indian army (win or loss is a different subject matter) and we don't really count Myanmar.

Gripen is not for everyone, there are multiple cases
where Gripens clients were outright rejected from
formulating a procurement. They don't sell this toys
to countries which has been politically volatile.

The civilian politician as well as civil society were reluctant to military spending before 2008. But after the face off with India and Myanmar it was felt an urgency in every sphere of society that we need a strong military. It was unthinkable even 5 years ago. If you look at our shopping list then you will know that we took things seriously this time around. Even parliament got into it and keeping track of the up gradation.

The modernization is going on with full speed. Myanmar is following the development and trying to match up. But our spending are not directed towards Myanmar. Keep in mind that BD military is prepared to face mighty Indian army (win or loss is a different subject matter) and we don't really count Myanmar.

After the full modernisation is complete by 2030, BD military will have full dominance over Myanmar on air, sea and land.

There is no way that BD, that is already 4 times larger GDP-wise, will have much of a threat from Myanmar.

BD needs to aim to provide a strong conventional deterrent to India.

You really have no clue what you are talking about.

At least 50% of BD military spending will be in salaries, food and accomodation. This is all in local
currency. Yes, things like weapons imports and fuel oil will cost much the same though as they
must be purchased in US dollars.

Remember, over time the BD Taka will "gain" more against the dollar than whatever currency Myanmar uses anyway.

If you want to be educated just let me know and I will be happy to advise you.

No, you don't have a clue. You are making things up as you go along because you are a kid arguing on an internet forum trying desperately to validate your notion that your country is what you dream it is.

Who cares if a DVD costs less in BD than in Myanmar. You think that means a $ spent on military will go further? Remember this was a discussion about an arms race, not how many underpaid coolies one can hire to serve in the army. So in an arms race of jet fighters, tanks and frigates etc., it won't be the foregone conclusion you seem to think it is as your economy is only half ours and as you have 3 times the population and a civilian government, you will always have a smaller % budget spend on military and smaller actual spend. And this is a good thing.

Why will your currency gain quicker than ours vs. the $? Are you making an obtuse reference to the Prabisch-Singer effect? And if it does then the gap between PPP and nominal GDP would actually decrease, so I don't see your point.

Anyway, you're very confused and desperately nationalistic. Sort it out, son.

Match India? :rofl: You don't even have parity with us. The generals in Naypyitaw are not trying to match you, they are making sure they will always be ahead. Come on, man. If what you bought in the past few years is hawkish spending, it underlines my point that you don't have the funds or the political will to militarise yourself.

After the full modernisation is complete by 2030, BD military will have full dominance over Myanmar on air, sea and land.

There is no way that BD, that is already 4 times larger GDP-wise, will have much of a threat from Myanmar.

BD needs to aim to provide a strong conventional deterrent to India.

:rofl: oh dear

No, you don't have a clue. You are making things up as you go along because you are a kid arguing on an internet forum trying desperately to validate your notion that your country is what you dream it is.

Who cares if a DVD costs less in BD than in Myanmar. You think that means a $ spent on military will go further? Remember this was a discussion about an arms race, not how many underpaid coolies one can hire to serve in the army. So in an arms race of jet fighters, tanks and frigates etc., it won't be the foregone conclusion you seem to think it is as your economy is only half ours and as you have 3 times the population and a civilian government, you will always have a smaller % budget spend on military and smaller actual spend. And this is a good thing.

Why will your currency gain quicker than ours vs. the $? Are you making an obtuse reference to the Prabisch-Singer effect? And if it does then the gap between PPP and nominal GDP would actually decrease, so I don't see your point.

Anyway, you're very confused and desperately nationalistic. Sort it out, son.

I pity people like you.

You have pretty zero ability to apply theory go real situations.

Not your fault as you fall into the general population that is unable to think
critically.

I dont know whats wrong with you guys???

SU-30 is the best option. Its a superior aircraft and we have alternate supplier China if anything goes wrong. How Gripen could be any better than Sukuis? Sukuis been building testing those birds for ever.

Its not toy market where you just pick which looks good to you.

"Gripen" is not an ordinary fighter & It's maintenance cost is very low ... :smitten:
[video] Saab Gripen - Controlling The Machine - YouTube [/video]

I like J-10B/FC-20, KAI FA-50, Saab Jas-39 Gripen NG, MiG-35, SU-35BM/S ...

&

I want 2-4squadron any two of --- J-10B/FC-20, KAI FA-50, Saab Jas-39 Gripen NG, MiG-35, SU-35BM/S --- these aircrafts in BAF.

- MHJ ...

I pity people like you.

You have pretty zero ability to apply theory go real situations.

Not your fault as you fall into the general population that is unable to think
critically.

:rofl: Critical thinking. I bet you've only begun puberty.

You know, Chinese J-11s are very different from SU-30s, they look similar externally but have Chinese radars, avionics, armament, etc. And fairly quantifiably, Chinese weapons and avionics have exceeded the Russians. Quote below is from another discussion on this forum about Bangladesh, SU-30s, and JF-17s, see the underlined bit.

Do you have any evidence of this? It sounds rather far fetched.

My advice to my Bangladeshi brothers here is to buy two squadrons of either J-10s, Gripen or F-16s.

Those will do the job wonderfully well and at a low price.

Except for J10s or comparable Flankers no other
top dogs will role in their 4++ toys for Bangladesh.

F-16 had been previously denied by the senate
when BD opted for, pretty much sure they'll
stand their position if we try again.

On a side note, a Burmese with knowledge in Economics,
that's quite a thing I must say. Myanmar is really developing .

Back
Top Bottom