What's new

Mig 29 bought for BAF?

I dont know whats wrong with you guys???

SU-30 is the best option. Its a superior aircraft and we have alternate supplier China if anything goes wrong. How Gripen could be any better than Sukuis? Sukuis been building testing those birds for ever.

Its not toy market where you just pick which looks good to you.

I dont know whats wrong with you guys???

SU-30 is the best option. Its a superior aircraft and we have alternate supplier China if anything goes wrong. How Gripen could be any better than Sukuis? Sukuis been building testing those birds for ever.

Its not toy market where you just pick which looks good to you.

That complements with the AWACS package I mentioned :D

Sukuis :rofl:

May be they can add Swedish stuff that complements with it?

That complements with the AWACS package I mentioned :D

Sukuis :rofl:

May be they can add Swedish stuff that complements with it?

Yes you can . Sukhois are known for Versatility . We also have done something like this in SU-30 MKI . French and Israeli equipments . NATO calls this variant Flanker-H . :)

If you could afford Flankers, you wouldn't be buying even more F-7's, stopgap or not.

Even Thailand, with a vastly superior military budget, could only afford a handful of Gripens.

The best option for BD :
60 (5 sqad) of either Mig29/Saab grippen/ F16/J10. What ever it is, only 1 type of platform must be maintained for easier
maintenance and reduce maintenance cost.

Personally I don't like migs and its not in our interest of future threat perception to only go for russian.:rolleyes: US F16s will have lots
of stings attached which a country like ours may not be able to handle smartly. That leaves J10s and Grippen. China may
not be willing to sell their most advanced jet to awami dalals. If they sell it to a future BNP gov it may not be before 2020
due speed of their production. They have to meet the demands of both PLAAF and PAF first. SO that leaves us with grippen
and 60 grippens will be good enough to secure our air space. In the future timeline beyond 2020 we can go for 2 sqad of
advance version of J10s which will complement our grippens. And beyond 2025 we can go shopping for a 5th gen fighter
like export version of j20/ TFX/KFX. But all this will require awami dalals to be ousted first.:)

If you could afford Flankers, you wouldn't be buying even more F-7's, stopgap or not.

Even Thailand, with a vastly superior military budget, could only afford a handful of Gripens.

We are not buying anything on ad-hoc basis. Its a comprehensive plan where we are modernizing our defense forces. Flanker can be purchased if needed and will be. Just see the amount of money spent in the last 2 years. Don't get misled by our defense budget which can be increased in a days notice.

We are not buying anything on ad-hoc basis. Its a comprehensive plan where we are modernizing our defense forces. Flanker can be purchased if needed and will be. Just see the amount of money spent in the last 2 years. Don't get misled by our defense budget which can be increased in a days notice.

But it can't though unless you're at war. It would be political suicide in a poor country like Bangladesh for the government to start buying jet-fighters when you have no real enemies. I don't think any right thinking bangladeshi would approve of getting into an arms race with Myanmar. Even if you do get Flankers it will take a while to train your pilots up to operate them.

The best option for BD :
60 (5 sqad) of either Mig29/Saab grippen/ F16/J10. What ever it is, only 1 type of platform must be maintained for easier
maintenance and reduce maintenance cost.

Personally I don't like migs and its not in our interest of future threat perception to only go for russian.:rolleyes: US F16s will have lots
of stings attached which a country like ours may not be able to handle smartly. That leaves J10s and Grippen. China may
not be willing to sell their most advanced jet to awami dalals. If they sell it to a future BNP gov it may not be before 2020
due speed of their production. They have to meet the demands of both PLAAF and PAF first. SO that leaves us with grippen
and 60 grippens will be good enough to secure our air space. In the future timeline beyond 2020 we can go for 2 sqad of
advance version of J10s which will complement our grippens. And beyond 2025 we can go shopping for a 5th gen fighter
like export version of j20/ TFX/KFX. But all this will require awami dalals to be ousted first.:)

US strings attached for Bangladesh, could you please elaborate on this. Why can't we get f16 e/f block 60 for example that UAE invested money to develop, with the latest radar and extra fuel tank. If not e/f we could get c/d version block 52.

Gripen, if it has comparable long range radar like f16 e/f block 60, then it should be ok, though its a smaller lighter plane and not as widely used and as proven as f16. We should also look at Korean KAI FA-50, which I think is comparable to Gripen, but it is very new and not proven. But we could get a few TA-50 trainer/attack version as trainers which could also be used as attack crafts.

I would avoid Chinese planes, as they do not use western avionics. Same with Russian planes, but if they are fitted with Western avionics, they might be ok.

In general I would move away from Chinese and Russian, because of overall quality problems with their products and move towards USA or similar Korean alternatives, if that is a comparable option. Gripen being a Swedish product, I would definitely prefer over Russian or Chinese.

How many of you have actually ridden on a Russian passenger plane? Or Car or used Russian products? May be you can share your experiences. We all use Chinese products everyday so we know about their quality, but have you been in a car made in China?

A plane is no different, in the end they are made by the same country, may be by a different set of people, but product quality and attention to detail is directly related to the human development index of a population.

Overall, for smooth reliable operation, I would stay away from Chinese or Russian products, and for avionics, I would try to get the most powerful longest range radar, as that will determine air superiority.

Here is a bunch of gripen vs f-16 comparison:

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-1029-postdays-0-postorder-asc.html
http://battletracker.com/forum/other/military-forum/186863-gripen-vs-f-16/
http://forum.keypublishing.com/archive/index.php?t-35956.html

But one thing good about gripen only $2000/hr operating cost while for f16 $4500/hr

US strings attached for Bangladesh, could you please elaborate on this. Why can't we get f16 e/f block 60 for example that UAE invested money to develop, with the latest radar and extra fuel tank. If not e/f we could get c/d version block 52.

Gripen, if it has comparable long range radar like f16 e/f block 60, then it should be ok, though its a smaller lighter plane and not as widely used and as proven as f16. We should also look at Korean KAI FA-50, which I think is comparable to Gripen, but it is very new and not proven. But we could get a few TA-50 trainer/attack version as trainers which could also be used as attack crafts.

I would avoid Chinese planes, as they do not use western avionics. Same with Russian planes, but if they are fitted with Western avionics, they might be ok.

In general I would move away from Chinese and Russian, because of overall quality problems with their products and move towards USA or similar Korean alternatives, if that is a comparable option. Gripen being a Swedish product, I would definitely prefer over Russian or Chinese.

How many of you have actually ridden on a Russian passenger plane? Or Car or used Russian products? May be you can share your experiences. We all use Chinese products everyday so we know about their quality, but have you been in a car made in China?

A plane is no different, in the end they are made by the same country, may be by a different set of people, but product quality and attention to detail is directly related to the human development index of a population.

Overall, for smooth reliable operation, I would stay away from Chinese or Russian products, and for avionics, I would try to get the most powerful longest range radar, as that will determine air superiority.

I first came to England on Aeroflot. This was in the 90's so I would say the planes were either Ilyushins or Tupolevs. I didn't have any concerns about the flight.

But it can't though unless you're at war. It would be political suicide in a poor country like Bangladesh for the government to start buying jet-fighters when you have no real enemies. I don't think any right thinking bangladeshi would approve of getting into an arms race with Myanmar. Even if you do get Flankers it will take a while to train your pilots up to operate them.

BD economy is four times larger than Myanmar.

LOL @ any mention of arms race between the two.

BD economy is four times larger than Myanmar.

LOL @ any mention of arms race between the two.

Um, no it isn't. It's about twice the size of ours with three times the population. And please let's not get into PPP unless you get all your arms half price compared to us.

Um, no it isn't. It's about twice the size of ours with three times the population. And please let's not get into PPP unless you get all your arms half price compared to us.

The local spending(salaries, food, housing etc) will be in local currency and not in international dollar.

So for the same amount of GDP spent on defence, BD can be spending three times as much as Myanmar.

BD will always be able to dominate Myanmar military..

I love it when rookies try to challenge me on economics.

By the way, the IMF predicts that the GDP gap will widen in the next five years.:victory:

The local spending(salaries, food, housing etc) will be in local currency and not in international dollar.

So for the same amount of GDP spent on defence, BD can be spending three times as much as Myanmar.

BD will always be able to dominate Myanmar military..

I love it when rookies try to challenge me on economics.

By the way, the IMF predicts that the GDP gap will widen in the next five years.:victory:

Why? Do you have a bachelors in Economics and a masters in Finance?

BTW, the part I hilighted in blue makes no sense.

Why? Do you have a bachelors in Economics and a masters in Finance?

BTW, the part I hilighted in blue makes no sense.

Who gives a rats *** about paper qualifications as they prove nothing!

I knew someone who had a Masters in economics and I pretty much dominated him in economics debates although I have a degree in physics. He even had the humility to admit that I knew more on the subject than him when I bested him time after time.

For the part highlighted in blue:

"The local spending(salaries, food, housing etc) will be in local currency and not in international dollar."

Say that BD and Myanmar both spend 1 billion dollars a year on defence. Now we know that every dollar spent in BD will buy you around 2 times what it will buy you in Myanmar. So let us assume that around 70% of the military budget of each country is spent locally, then the actual spending by BD will be much greater than that of Myanmar due to the fact that salaries, food and housing costs of the military personel is much cheaper in BD than in Myanmar.

"So for the same amount of GDP spent on defence, BD can be spending three times as much as Myanmar."

See above explanation.

"BD will always be able to dominate Myanmar military"

Now you should understand what I mean by this. As long as BD spends the same amount of GDP on defence as Myanmar does, it's military will be much stronger.

Then some decades down the line, the option of capturing Arakan quickly will be there.

Who gives a rats *** about paper qualifications as they prove nothing!

I knew someone who had a Masters in economics and I pretty much dominated him in economics debates although I have a degree in physics. He even had the humility to admit that I knew more on the subject than him when I bested him time after time.

For the part highlighted in blue:

"The local spending(salaries, food, housing etc) will be in local currency and not in international dollar."

Say that BD and Myanmar both spend 1 billion dollars a year on defence. Now we know that every dollar spent in BD will buy you around 2 times what it will buy you in Myanmar. So let us assume that around 70% of the military budget of each country is spent locally, then the actual spending by BD will be much greater than that of Myanmar due to the fact that salaries, food and housing costs of the military personel is much cheaper in BD than in Myanmar.

"So for the same amount of GDP spent on defence, BD can be spending three times as much as Myanmar."

See above explanation.

"BD will always be able to dominate Myanmar military"

Now you should understand what I mean by this. As long as BD spends the same amount of GDP on defence as Myanmar does, it's military will be much stronger.

Then some decades down the line, the option of capturing Arakan quickly will be there.

Ah come on. You don't honestly have a degree or 'crush' arguments against an economics masters. You sound really rather too young. I'll humour your none the less.

PPP is measured using a basket of stuff to configure spending power. Conventionally it's consumer products like a burgers, haircuts and bicycles etc. If the price of these things is half what it is in Myanmar say, then PPP GDP will reflect this. But PPP is a very tough thing to measure and you shouldn't really consider that when it comes to country comparisons. Only PPP GDP per capita is relevant. When it comes to weaponry, it doesn't figure as I doubt your local arms manufacturers pump out the same weapons as ours at half the $ price. When it comes to imports, PPP is useless as the exchange is made in international currency be it $ or Euro. Therefore, it doesn't matter if dildos in BD cost half as much as they do in Myanmar. To gauge a country's potential defense spending power, you need to look at nominal GDP in $. Unless ofcourse Rosbonexport start accepting chicken curries and cotton cloth as barter payments for their MiGs....

On your point about GDP spend, it makes no sense. If you meant % GDP then you are correct, But this would be measured at the nominal $ value so right now if you spent the same % GDP on defence, you would have double our defence budget. However, remember that we are pretty much under military rule so we will always be willing to outspend a civilian government like BD. Now, this is actually a good thing as the last thing your country needs is tanks and fighter jets.

I'll politely ignore your comment about Arakan.

Back
Top Bottom