What's new

Letters to KPK Administration prior to Attack on DI Khan

as @Argus Panoptes said, "When the advice is to "take necessary security measures" over an impending attack, there is no effective mechanism to deliver that, on the ground, in the actual field, where it is needed."

Yeah just increase security of DI jail with civilian police walas who don't know how to fight hardened terrorists, Just use civilians as cannon fodders by just handing them one AK-47 and then blaming them for not stopping the attack

Mein jo vee kehnaa, karwa shayed hovay, magar hondaa sach hee hey.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Terrorists come wearing NVG and cutt off light before commencing attack, Please do remind us were police or security prison guards were trained to fight such firepower in dark with only AK-47, without bullet proof vests and NVG's?

Trained professionals Garrison were at 5-10 mint walk distance, were they sleeping when jail attack occured?

No one absolving the negligence of KPK Government, but Aren't there any check posts b/w DI khan South waziristan? ISI issued that alert, why army checkposts in b/w FATA and D.I khan were not put on hightened alert as well?

My dear friend , I am not absolving the Pakistan army and paramilitary forces of any mistakes neither am I trying to defend them . Their response and the outcome has been more pathetic , than I have seen in recent times . But I am also not going to do that for the Govt of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa too , who despite having credible and detailed intelligence , chose to bury their heads in the sand and do nothing , absolutely nothing at all . How is the PTI going to run the Govt in the most troubled province if this continues ? Just how ?

How many will get the sack for incompetence? None! Who all will be held responsible? None! Who will be held accountable? None!

It'll be back to square one in a couple of days. Now how come I'm saying this? Because it happens in India all the time. No one is answerable to anyone! No one here gets hanged for their omissions and commissions. We all suck! Period!

How many will get the sack for incompetence? None! Who all will be held responsible? None! Who will be held accountable? None!

It'll back to square one in a couple of days. Now how come I'm saying this? Because it happens in India all the time. No one is answerable to anyone! No one here gets hanged for their omissions and commissions. We all suck! Period!

Ive had last night trying to calm down and hold back a tamil , a goan and a malyalee who were ready to tear each other apart over language and governance. The problems are all the same.
There will be no accountability as attention will be diverted to something else and there will be no progress in Pakistan as we will see more of these bombings and killings.

My dear friend , I am not absolving the Pakistan army and paramilitary forces of any mistakes neither am I trying to defend them . Their response and the outcome has been more pathetic , than I have seen in recent times . But I am also not going to do that for the Govt of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa too , who despite having credible and detailed intelligence , chose to bury their heads in the sand and do nothing , absolutely nothing at all . How is the PTI going to run the Govt in the most troubled province if this continues ? Just how ?

The warning was followed by another demarche to Khyber Pakhtunkhwa the following day, on July 28, from the National Crisis Management Cell, Ministry of Interior, Islamabad. The letter marked “secret” and “most immediate” “Threat Alert 699” said: “It has been learnt through reliable source that Umer Khitab, along with TTP elements, are planning to carry out Bannu jailbreak-like attack on Dera Ismail Khan Central Prison and for this purpose, the group has reached the vicinity of Dera Ismail Khan.”

The letter went to the KP Home Secretary, Peshawar, Provincial Police Officer, Additional Chief Secretary Fata, Inspector General of Frontier Corps, Inspector General, Prison, KP and Commandant Frontier Constabulary, KP, Peshawar.

To reinforce the urgency of the matter further, officers were again warned through text messages on Sunday to take appropriate security measures. As a consequence, civil and military officers visited the prison to work out a security plan. The home secretary followed up on the threat.

On July 29, hours before the most audacious attack on the prison located in the middle of a populated area, the Dera commissioner held a conference of all law-enforcement agencies and the civil administration to discuss the issue.

The intelligence was not merely confined to information about gathering of militants in Dera. The administration was warned that militants would be launching a three-pronged attack from Sabzi Mandi, Girls Degree College and Town Hall where they parked their 14 vehicles.

Also, the administration was told that militants might blow up power transmission line to cause a blackout and they were in possession of night vision goggles.

Additionally, they were told that the convergence of hardcore militants in 12-A Barrack inside the prison was a recipe for disaster and that immediate steps be taken for their dispersal. As it happened, 105 jail guards and 75 men from the Frontier Reserve Police (FRP) were least prepared to forestall the ferocious attack with rocket-propelled grenades, time devices, other explosives and heavy firearms.

The attack took place at around 11.30pm and went on till 2am – three hours with one hour inside the jail compound. The militants equipped with megaphones called out names of their brothers-in-faith and broke open their cells with explosive devices, all the while raising slogans of Allah-o-Akbar and TTP Zindabad. Then they went on a slaughtering spree, beheading four inmates, taking away heads of two of them.

In all, by the last count, 248 prisoners have escaped, among them 30 hardcore militants, including Qari Asif and Khalil, the group involved in bombing in Dera Ismail Khan that had left 25 mourners dead on the ninth and tenth of Muharram last year.

Law-enforcement agencies scrambled and the army was called in but what they found in pitched darkness were bodies of the slain prison guards, slaughtered and beheaded inmates, a strong stench of explosives and smouldering lockups. The hundred or so militants, along with a horde of escaped prisoners, melted away amid the ensuing mayhem and confusion. The incident has thus become the biggest jailbreak in Pakistan’s history.

NO LESSONS LEARNT: That no lessons were learnt from the Bannu jailbreak hardly comes as a surprise. Pakistanis as a nation, it appears, never learn from history, but what boggles the mind is that the administration would take its time to prepare for an assault which, it thought would come at a time of their choosing, said one official. They were upstaged by militants.

The irony is, according to a senior official, the civil and military authorities had done mock exercises, assigned specific tasks and roles and worked out a clear standard operating procedure of who was to do what. “On paper everything was worked out meticulously to prepare for both day and night assault. It was a video game played out in real time,” the official said.

What seems more bizarre, the minutes of the meeting presided over by the commissioner were properly recorded. “Everybody had taken the threat alert seriously,” the official said.

Light machinegun-mounted armoured personnel carriers and mobiles of the Elite Police force were deployed and guards deployed on rooftops.

But what happened was even more unbelievable. When the attack came, the mobiles disappeared along with the Elite force which was to stop the assault. The district police officer went to seek help from the brigade commander, but neither showed up. “The gun was there, but there was no one to pull the trigger,” an official said.

There was no breach of wall of the prison. The main gate remains intact and the guard manning the gate told investigators that when he saw the militants blowing up the APC and when they approached the gate and ordered him to open it he had no option but to open it. The militants walked in, made announcements on the megaphones and took away their men.

And to cap it all, the statements of the KP chief minister and his hand-picked Information Minister Shaukat Yousafzai that no intelligence was shared with KP on the Dera jail assault were brazenly misleading and untrue. “We could not have been more specific,” said an angry security official. It was incompetence and lack of preparedness, he said.

The answer to Dera jail debacle was not setting up another intelligence agency within the police at a cost of Rs3 billion, as the PTI chairman said on Tuesday as clearly, the intelligence was there. It was a tactical failure.

The Elite Police which had been assigned the task to guard the prison in view of the intelligence did not respond when the attack came. Neither was this an intelligence failure nor coordination failure. It was a failure of nerves and it all boils down to one stark reality: cowardice.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakist...-intelligence-failure-once.html#ixzz2actTh4d0
@secure

* Elite Force Na mard nikli

* Brigade commander didn't responded

* Now things are becoming clear, before the attack occured Civil and military establishment were prepareing to defend the Jail theoratically

* So do remind us where KPK Gov failed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are the PTI fanboys at the moment bashing the army in every other thread ?

Not ready to admit that the PTI's incompetence in handling matters and massive mismanagement caused the attack to succeed ?

Not that I expected anything better , when most of their ministers are giving statements portraying Taliban as saviors and their sent to hell leaders as Martyrs ?

Naya Pakistan Inshallah ! Yeah we got that new one .

As if before this PTI government nothing happened!

This has got nothing to do with PTI, this is a failing of the whole country wide system irrespective of province or party.

I don't see anyone blaming the PML for Quetta attacks, Gilgit incident, Karachi blasts, Lahore blast or anything.

As I said, it is the total failure of governance irrespective of party.

Both PML and PTI should be given at least 6 months to improve things, it's been just 2 friggin months for God's sake.

No one absolving the negligence of KPK Government, but Aren't there any check posts b/w DI khan South waziristan? ISI issued that alert, why army checkposts in b/w FATA and D.I khan were not put on hightened alert as well?

You think they came from the most obvious highway? How naive.

Did they revamp the security of the prison and HV prisoners ? :no:

Just a meeting to discuss the security plan , which resulted in nothing ?

I know they weren't trained or ready to meet the threat , they faced but at least the police should have increased the security of the city itself and more personnel assigned to the jail .

I dont even want to talk about the army at the moment because I am just too angry . Was the brigade commander busy entertaining girls and drinking C2H5OH when the attack happened , like a certain Niazi ? This is cowardice , beyond belief .

* Elite Force Na mard nikli

* Brigade commander didn't responded

* Now things are becoming clear, before the attack occured Civil and military establishment were prepareing to defend the Jail theoratically

All those things show that the provincial govt did all it could. More police was deployed, meetings were done, security was reviewed and all...

Now if the police doesn't has working guns, TTP have NVG, the jail was in tatters, what could the police and this govt do?

The fact was that this incident yet again showed the pathetic state of our police.

Ya bol do keh police ki jaga har jaga par Army ko lagana hai warna police ko behtar karo. People say that the cantt was 10 minutes away, why didn't the Army come. These people have no idea how things work...

I know they weren't trained or ready to meet the threat , they faced but at least the police should have increased the security of the city itself and more personnel assigned to the jail .

Yes they did increase the security. 120 more policeman were deployed, including 45 additional policemen at the specific barrack where the HVT were residing.

Even if you deploy 1000 people, this police can't do anything with this level of training, corruption and weaponry.

I dont even want to talk about the army at the moment because I am just too angry . Was the brigade commander busy entertaining girls and drinking C2H5OH when the attack happened , like a certain Niazi ? This is cowardice , beyond belief .

And that's where negligence of KPK Gov and civil bureaucracy comes, Dono sattu pii kar sou rahy thay kia, We know our police don't work until some higher up put their pressure on them. Why didn't they supervised police constantly so they remain vigilant all the time

Heads has been rolled, Elite force unit who fled are suspended and under arrest

The whole system is failing, at all levels. That is the important thing to realize. No one is to blame singularly.

We are all failing together. Fingerpointing after the fact serves no purpose if the recommendations are never implemented and there is no accountability. Same will happen here.

True, but in this particular instance there is one department that the finger can not be pointed at and those documents prove that. They have other documents sent as well outlying their entire attack plan. And if finger pointing made any difference those would be magic fingers. PTI needs to come out of this dreamland that there is good cause for TTP to be doing these attacks. We are losing poor policeman and innocent market goers at an alarming rate. How will we point the finger at the agencies when they start their extra judicial disappearances? They will point a bigger middle finger back and show these documents. These are the few terrorists that actually did not fall through our rusty judicial system and those too get to walk.

As if before this PTI government nothing happened!

This has got nothing to do with PTI, this is a failing of the whole country wide system irrespective of province or party.

I don't see anyone blaming the PML for Quetta attacks, Gilgit incident, Karachi blasts, Lahore blast or anything.

As I said, it is the total failure of governance irrespective of party.

Both PML and PTI should be given at least 6 months to improve things, it's been just 2 friggin months for God's sake.

Who's in the Govt at the moment , who has the responsibility ? So who will be blamed ? I am not interested that we ' inherited this and that from the formers ' . The country cant run like that .

Maybe , then it is about time that we peacefully hand over the country to terrorist Mullah brigade and put us all to their mercy because if we cant fight them or dont have the will , its only going to get uglier and uglier . I am seeing the worst for the future of Pakistan , at the moment , if the GHQ and Raiwind mansion doesn't mend its ways .

No , criticism was there but the incidents weren't of this scale and magnitude .

Yeah , lets give them time when we dont have the luxury of it , General ?

Ya bol do keh police ki jaga har jaga par Army ko lagana hai warna police ko behtar karo. People say that the cantt was 10 minutes away, why didn't the Army come. These people have no idea how things work...

How does it work then ?

They carried out the attack for 4-5 hours , what was the army doing ? Getting permission from GHQ or sleeping ?

Its completely pathetic that 243 prisoners escaped successfully with only 2 terrorist causalities . If the brigade commander doesn't have the will to fight , then he should leave the army .

PTI needs to come out of this dreamland that there is good cause for TTP to be doing these attacks.

That ' Taliban are fighting for a righteous cause ' isn't limited to PTI , this phenomenon and sort of Stockholm Syndrome is also found in Moulana Diesel and Ganja Brothers , let there be no doubt . This is how Wali-ur-Rehman - murderer of countless Pakistanis became a martyr for these corrupt politicians .

That ' Taliban are fighting for a righteous cause ' isn't limited to PTI , this phenomenon and sort of Stockholm Syndrome is also found in Moulana Diesel and Ganja Brothers , let there be no doubt . This is how Wali-ur-Rehman - murderer of countless Pakistanis became a martyr for these corrupt politicians .

Well this incident is really worrying me now,possible measures must be taken by government of KPK to avoid this in future,as PTI is a novice party and is holding such responsibility for the first time,that is why I have predicted that PTI will learn a lot of lessons,in fact actual lessons after elections:cray:

I don't know how pathetic it is that we had intelligence intercepts about the attack and still failed to stop the attackers. Shameful, really shameful. I am seriously getting worried about the nations army's ability to defend the nations citizens. With one of the most powerful militaries in the world we are badly failing to defeat a bunch of terrorist monkeys.

Down with the Taliban. We should take action against the TTP. It is now or never.

Back
Top Bottom