What's new

It's Official: Kaveri Will Power India's UCAV

Major Shaitan Singh

Reaction score
Country
India
20090213novelairconcept.jpg

Two bits of information from the government landed today confirming that India's in-development Kaveri turbofan is being officially looked at, in modified form, to power the country's secret stealth UCAV, codenamed AURA, a programme that was first revealed here on Livefist.

First, Indian defence minister A.K. Antony told Parliament today, "Kaveri spin-off engine can be used as propulsion system for Indian Unmanned Strike Air Vehicle (USAV)." (Never a shortage of acronyms in Indian defence projects).

A few hours later, a few kilometres away at the headquarters of the Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO), as part of an annual awards ceremony, scientist Vikram Singh of the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) received the Young Scientist Award for his "valuable contribution in design of a controllable flying wing UCAV configuration for KAVERI Engine."

http://livefist.blogspot.com/

millions of new projects?

but question is will you able to complete this AURA?

the picture is that of the UK's Novel Air Concept....... not AURA
yes because AURA has not got a final design,we don't know how it would look after completion.But one thing i m confused about is that i probably heard Rustom -H being a UCAV(and rustom drones would be powered by kaveri),so is Mr.Antony talking about RUSTOM-H or AURA(as it is expected to take 7-8 more years to complete)????

i don't care what we use as long as our forces get it in time!!

Don't get me wrong, One should rather indulge in projects one can complete in time rather than getting involved in more than one can handle, These all projects are brilliant but problem is that having so many things on the plate means everything gets less attention and not one project is being completed. Flame on but that's the truth, IMHO These politicians announce such projects to get cheap political gains and nothing more

Don't get me wrong, One should rather indulge in projects one can complete in time rather than getting involved in more than one can handle, These all projects are brilliant but problem is that having so many things on the plate means everything gets less attention and not one project is being completed. Flame on but that's the truth, IMHO These politicians announce such projects to get cheap political gains and nothing more

Dude, what political gains can they get from announcing defence projects? You really think they get votes for announcing stealth UCAVs? The common voter in India is not concerned one bit about defence. The percentage of Indians who can name the three service chiefs would be miniscule, probably a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population. Ask any Indian here how many of their family members or friends know what AURA is or can even name the army chief. That's how irrelevant the armed forces are for most people in India.

This is the thing about being politicians. If they cut defence spending or projects, everyone says they are playing for votes. If they increase it, people say they are playing for votes. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Politicians get votes for promising whatever fulfills the day to day necessities. Be it freebies like 2 rupee a kg rice, or development, or jobs. No politician in India has ever won an election by promising stealth aircrafts or UAVs or submarines.

I almost agree with your first sentence. They really should take it step by step - designing a current state of the art UAV or UCAV, before planning for a stealthy one, with its projected specs exceeding anything that any country has come up with. Like they should have maybe produced a 100 or so LCAs that are not super-duper and unbeatable in every regard, but something the equivalent of JF-17, before moving on to Mark-2s. If they had done that, we would have already had a hundred of those, and probably would have been giving IOC to the mark-2s by now.

But I don't agree that India shouldnt take up too many projects - because even now, the number of defence industries we have are miniscule compared to the requirements of a military of our size. We can take on as many projects as we want, if we go about it in a realistic way - we have the money, and manpower.

These are the only "official" impressions available of AURA

These were done with the help of people who're close to the project.

I've enhanced the brightness/contrast a bit :sniper:

Back
Top Bottom