What's new

Indian Companies to Invest in Auto Sector in Bangladesh

Who cares if you buy our cars or not. Less than 30000 cars per year is laughable. Arrogance is when you talk as if everyone in Bangladesh has a car and middle class in Bangladesh has higher standards. Never mind I'll leave it to your ignorance.

We are not Indians and we people do not brag about our country. Because, like India, we have nothing to brag. Only recently India was producing no more than wheat and rice. Then someone from America called his friend in Bangalore and the IT outsourcing started. Next came Suzuki Motors. Now, you are building better cars. But, your cars are no match to the cars that we import from japan.

By the way, we people ride Rickshaws and buses, and do not ride spaceships like many Indians really do.

They might be... but they are all Hindu stooges working with baniya mentality :rofl: ... BDs should revolt against such cars... declare holy war against these cars... I won't have a tiny bit of suspicion in my mind when another nano catches fire.

Yes to business. But, no to business with people who are Godless Banyas.

I know little bit about car as I used to sell Ford in my student life as a part time Job.
If you ever drove Japanese cars then you will know. Even I will buy a 3 years old Toyota than a American brand new Ford. Average life expectancy of a American car is 100,000 Miles whereas I seen Toyotas and Hondas having 250,000 miles. Low maintenance, high fuel efficiency and above all they dont get stuck on the road. Safety ratings for Japanese cars are pretty low though.

Like Mercedeze the Japanese cars salesman used to sell cars saying that Once you drive a Japanese car you will never drive anything else. I sold Korean Cars, I sold Nissan as well. I seen competition from and was familiar with Jaguar, Audi, Voxwagon, Mercedeze. Except Mercedeze nobody came close to Japanese with respect to quality and durability and price.

Comparing Indian TATA with Japs are complete nonsense I think.

I used to have an used Mitsubishi Freezing Truck which I kept parked in my warehouse. The truck engine was not switched on for long 8 years because the compressor for fridge was run continuously by electricity. A day came when I had to take this truck out.The old battery was replaced with a functional one, the accelerator pedal was pushed a few times and the engine came to life only after a few tries. This is what the Japanese products are and many of these are now being imported in BD.

I wonder, how the Indian vehicles will behave in a similar situation. Indians should not build a factory in Bangladesh, because our expectations are higher that can be met with only Japanese products. So, BD govt should discourage Indian novice companies and welcome Mitsubishi veicle assembling, instead.

I used to have an used Mitsubishi Freezing Truck which I kept parked in my warehouse. The truck engine was not switched on for long 8 years because the compressor for fridge was run continuously by electricity. A day came when I had to take this truck out.The old battery was replaced with a functional one, the accelerator pedal was pushed a few times and the engine came to life only after a few tries. This is what the Japanese products are and many of these are now being imported in BD.

I wonder, how the Indian vehicles will behave in a similar situation.

Yes of course thats the standard reliability test for any motor vehicle. Once you buy it, you go and park it in the garage for 8 years. Come back after 8 years and try starting it, if it works then you can enjoy your "new" purchase, otherwise you got jipped.:lol:

Suzuki board member, senior managing executive officer and executive general manager for global marketing, Toshihiro Suzuki, who was in Australia for the facelifted Grand Vitara launch, said that there will be no issues if Australia sources the new sub-light car from its factories in India or Hungary.

“Quality out of India and Hungary the same and both nearly as good as Japan,” he said.

Suzuki 2009 Alto - Suzuki wishing on A-Star | GoAuto

I wonder, how the Indian vehicles will behave in a similar situation. Indians should not build a factory in Bangladesh, because our expectations are higher that can be met with only Japanese products. So, BD govt should discourage Indian novice companies and welcome Mitsubishi veicle assembling, instead.

I believe you completely. :rofl:

Then why do you have to ride around in those "Zinzira Boys" contraptions and cycle-rickshaws? Do those exceed Japanese (JIS) standards? :azn:

I believe you completely. :rofl:

Then why do you have to ride around in those "Zinzira Boys" contraptions and cycle-rickshaws? Do those exceed Japanese (JIS) standards? :azn:

Whats so wrong with the rickshaws? Does it make one look bad riding one?
Sorry thats not the way things work over here as its not India, we love our traditional
hand made rides.

Thats the whole point of the argument! 100 Boleros were sold with a price tag of USD 60,000! Imagine if Mahindra sets up a plant in Bangladesh how cheap it would be? It sells for 5-7 Lacs INR in India.(Thats about 20,000USD). You could buy 5 Boleros for the price of one Land Cruiser.

And about Maruti 800, yes its a shitbox, no doubt. But its from the license raj era. Ever since the Indian market opened up, Maruti-Suzuki had to lift their game up. I don't think they are even making Maruti 800's anymore. On the other hand they are exporting Maruti made Suzuki A-Stars and Altos and all sorts of small cars to Australian, European, South East Asian and South American markets. If these cars are good enough for Europe, someone saying that they aren't good enough for Bangladesh is just laughable.

Suzuki 2009 Alto - Suzuki wishing on A-Star | GoAuto

It is a positive initiative. Mitsubishi has set up an assembly plant in Bangladesh. They assemble the Pajero and some sedans and plan to produce more models. BUT, there are strings attached to it. The components needed to assemble the product are 100% imported. None of them are of Bangladeshi origin. These components are also taxed. So the selling price of the product becomes the same as an imported one. So it is fair to say that the tax structure in not favorable at the moment.

The amount of investment needed for Bangladesh to produce the engineering components (needed to produce a basic car) on its own are massive. Statistically, very few Bangladeshis actually own a car, so it is a small market at best. Top management would not want unfavorable returns on investment. It is just not a feasible initiative at the moment. So, I don't think many companies would even budge on this matter, especially in today's competitive environment.

And honestly, I really doubt if the Government of Bangladesh would compromise the existing tax structure. Especially duties on cars.

What Indian companies can do is to penetrate the rural market. Much of Bangladesh's population are employed in the agriculture sector. Mahindra tractors in Bangladeshi farms are quite common sight.
Mahindra Tractors - Bangladesh

Indian trucks are quite popular too.

It is a very attractive market and with a bright future. The Japanese are ignoring this segment.

About Boleros - it is not just about being cheaper than Land Cruisers. It is about brand image and perception. I think it is more about marketing and branding. The Pajero along with the Corolla is a very iconic vehicle, and been that way for nearly three decades. It has a strong presence in the minds of Bangladeshis.

There is a Mahindra dealer in Bangladesh. However, I haven't come across a single billboard advertisement for the Bolero. Ford is a relatively new entry into the Bangladeshi market. There were many billboard advertisements about the Ford Ranger (imported from India), and people bought it. Although, sales of the Ranger are not anywhere near the Japanese ones.

So as you can see, it is not an easy market!

We are not Indians and we people do not brag about our country. Because, like India, we have nothing to brag. Only recently India was producing no more than wheat and rice. Then someone from America called his friend in Bangalore and the IT outsourcing started. Next came Suzuki Motors. Now, you are building better cars. But, your cars are no match to the cars that we import from japan.

By the way, we people ride Rickshaws and buses, and do not ride spaceships like many Indians really do.

Guess what?

I presume we have the things to brag about.

Grapes are sour for you?

Cars?

The second hand jalopies discarded by the Japanese give you total delight?

Must you always be satisfied with used things and discarded stuff that you pick up?

The product can be of foreign origin.

Unless it is manufactured under licence, the cost will the exorbitant.

Spares are where the Japanese make the real money!

And the high end foreign cars only the rich can buy.

Guess what?

I presume we have the things to brag about.

Grapes are sour for you?

Cars?

The second hand jalopies discarded by the Japanese give you total delight?

Must you always be satisfied with used things and discarded stuff that you pick up?

Those "jalopies" are certified pre-owned cars from Japan. They can in many cases be of superior quality in most aspects compared to cars manufactured from India.

An Indian manufactured Honda Civic (brand new) sells for Tk. 3,300,000 in Bangladesh.

One can buy a Toyota Premio (pre-owned and certified) for the same price:

Source: 2009 Premio FL PKG (Ready at CTG) | Facebook

Now just compare the two.

Now just compare the two.

What about KM's on these cars? Do customers not care about that much?

If it was upto me I would most certainly buy a brand new Civic over the second hand Premio

What about KM's on these cars? Do customers not care about that much?

If it was upto me I would most certainly buy a brand new Civic over the second hand Premio

It is still more value for money. Not many Civics on the roads of Bangladesh to be honest, it is just not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom