What's new

India appears ambivalent about role as U.S. strategy pivots toward Asia

As much as they hate us deep down because of our success and their Arthashastra policy of befriending the far and attacking the near, india is scared of our J-10 airbases in Tibet, our alliances with Pakistan, Bangaldesh, Sri Lanka, Burma, Nepal and Bhutan, our aircraft carrier battlegroup patrolling the indian ocean and our 3000 nuclear warhead arsenal.

That is the only reason why they aren't going openly hostile yet ;)

whit all that crap as u mentioned above even today china is incapable of getting back Taiwan and islands claimed by Japan. :rofl: what good are those toys for ? military parade maal :D

Geo-politically India does not have any other place to go but the US and the west, in order to sustain its economic growth. It simply wants to piggyback the Americans to glory. However, for this there will be a cost to pay - and that is the question Americans are asking again and again and this article too.

India has already shifted its focus in US favour by gradually adjusting to US demands. The problem however is that US wants acquiescence in all of its demands which are of interest to them. Here many of India's supposed interests may be undermined.

In the ambiance of emerging environment, India may not remain in a position to maintain and practice an independent world view because it is not strong enough and may remain in such a position for a very long time unless it joins the US coalition and acquiesces to the US demands.

The space for India to keep playing as a sovereign policy maker is fast diminishing.

Mate, we both started off together... You may believe that the space for us to play as a sovereign policy maker is shrinking (and thats just a assumption on your part) but what about you mate ?? does that space exist for you at all ??? We both know the answer to that.. Now with that situation for Pakistan, do you really think you have the standing to comment on how large or small is the space for India to play an independent policy maker :)

We are not discussing Pakistan here. Please post your comments about the topic.

Geo-politically India does not have any other place to go but the US and the west, in order to sustain its economic growth. It simply wants to piggyback the Americans to glory. However, for this there will be a cost to pay - and that is the question Americans are asking again and again and this article too.

India has already shifted its focus in US favour by gradually adjusting to US demands. The problem however is that US wants acquiescence in all of its demands which are of interest to them. Here many of India's supposed interests may be undermined.

In the ambiance of emerging environment, India may not remain in a position to maintain and practice an independent world view because it is not strong enough and may remain in such a position for a very long time unless it joins the US coalition and acquiesces to the US demands.

The space for India to keep playing as a sovereign policy maker is fast diminishing.

Ok genius, usage of heavy words like - Geo-politically,piggyback, acquiescence, ambiance, etc. makes an interesting read :lol:

But can u tell me how India's sovereign policy making is getting affected?? This article is from Washington Post, stating about how the policymakers in US getting frustrated by non-compliance of India on matters of interests to US & following it's own independent policy, this is not an article written in local Indian newspaper praising India's independent stance. If India is currently following an independent foreign policy (when it's economy is 1/8th that of US) than how will it toe the US' line in the future when it is predicted that India will be top 3 economies in the world come 2030??

We are not discussing Pakistan here. Please post your comments about the topic.

Actually I believe these things are not seen in isolation but at a regional level.. And I am just trying to highlight the contrast.. But if you think this is throwing the discussion into a tailspin, I will stop :)

anyway, coming back to the topic, do you have any instances to highlight India's subjugation to American demands ... I do have instances like, MRCA deal, NPT, Nuclear Liability bill etc to illustrate exactly the opposite.. And as I said before we also do not allow Americans to send military assets inside our borders ;)

Ok genius, usage of heavy words like - Geo-politically,piggyback, acquiescence, ambiance, etc. makes an interesting read :lol:

But can u tell me how India's sovereign policy making is getting affected?? This article is from Washington Post, stating about how the policymakers in US getting frustrated by non-compliance of India on matters of interests to US & following it's own independent policy, this is not an article written in local Indian newspaper praising India's independent stance. If India is currently following an independent foreign policy (when it's economy is 1/8th that of US) than how will it toe the US' line in the future when it is predicted that India will be top 3 economies in the world come 2030??

If you don't, your economy will remain, if at all, 1/8th of the US. To become something that India wants to, where will it sell its products, who will come and invest in India. The US may still do it as an alternative to China but will use it as a political leverage to reduce it at will.

This will hurt India much more than US who could find an alternative to India as well.

Actually I believe these things are not seen in isolation but at a regional level.. And I am just trying to highlight the contrast.. But if you think this is throwing the discussion into a tailspin, I will stop :)

anyway, coming back to the topic, do you have any instances to highlight India's subjugation to American demands ... I do have instances like, MRCA deal, NPT, Nuclear Liability bill etc to illustrate exactly the opposite.. And as I said before we also do not allow Americans to send military assets inside our borders ;)

Has any of these reached a final conclusion. The rug can still be pulled from under your feet.

Unless India acquiesces to US demands, these may remain on the table as unfinished and being concluded deals for a very long time indeed.

Lol I'm pretty sure that your comments are purely for humor! J10 might frighten the Taliban or some peaceful tibetan monks but that's all it's going to do. You will have better luck with the sukhois if you need to attack india.

:lol: the challenged sino doesnt realized that the flankers will have those j10s for dinner

Has any of these reached a final conclusion. The rug can still be pulled from under your feet.

Unless India acquiesces to US demands, these may remain on the table as unfinished and being concluded deals for a very long time indeed.

We dont have any problems with them remaining on the table.. If keeping the door open (without us having to walk thru that door) provides us with opportunities, then who am i to argue with that.. But as long as we dont make decisions that compromise our interests for another country's till then ALL IZZZ WELL :)

Some U.S. analysts are questioning whether India will ever be a dependable strategic partner for the United States.
Look who's talking! Can anyone trust the US of A? Is the U.S. dependable? They have ditched India on a number of occasions including slapping sanctions on many industries after the nuke tests. They had also applied sanctions on Pakistan when they were their closest of allies.

America will do what it has to do for its own national interests. Period!

We dont have any problems with them remaining on the table.. If keeping the door open (without us having to walk thru that door) provides us with opportunities, then who am i to argue with that.. But as long as we dont make decisions that compromise our interests for another country's till then ALL IZZZ WELL :)

This is exactly what the Americans are subtly telling India - don't take us for a ride with your half ajar door. Sooner than later, they will have to tell you - either come in or shut the door while you leave.

Look who's talking! Can anyone trust the US of A? Is the U.S. dependable? They have ditched India on a number of occasions including slapping sanctions on many industries after the nuke tests. They had also applied sanctions on Pakistan when they were the closest of allies.

America will do what it has to do for its own national interests. Period!

And how may the US trust the Indians.

As much as they hate us deep down because of our success and their Arthashastra policy of befriending the far and attacking the near, india is scared of our J-10 airbases in Tibet, our alliances with Pakistan, Bangaldesh, Sri Lanka, Burma, Nepal and Bhutan, our aircraft carrier battlegroup patrolling the indian ocean and our 3000 nuclear warhead arsenal.

That is the only reason why they aren't going openly hostile yet ;)

your it doesn't matter how many you have let it be 3000 or 300000... unless you have plans to end up the human race along with you.... there are plenty nukes with USSR what happen? nothing but defeated ... ok be mature...

Actually that's inaccurate. The United States itself wants India to have strategic autonomy, because India's strategic autonomy is in their best interests too.

A pro-US India would mean, an anti-US Pakistan. Given the fact that Pakistan entirely depends on the US for economic growth (which isnt the case with India) and given the fact that Pakistan is worth around 7 decades of investments for the US, neither the US not Pakistan is not gonna give up on each other atleast for the short to the mid-term. Especially with their current war on terror efforts. India also desires the United States to be present in the region, without infringing upon her sovereignty, because the US presence in this region is also a Chinese deterrent. The only way to achieve this, i.e a pro-US India, a pro-US Pakistan and a credible deterrent to China, is through a strategically autonomous India.

From the American perspective, a strong India will not only balance out the power with China, but a pro-American India will give the Americans more credibility in the region. This is why India supports US occupation of Afghanistan. India is also getting contracts out of Afghanistan which is once again profitable for us.

This equation however might change, if the US decides to dump Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom