What's new

IAF to induct 15 indigenously-built 'Saras' light transport aircraft

The project began in 1991 as a collaboration with Russia (Myasishchev had a similar project called the Duet), but financial trouble led the Russians to drop out early in the project.

Im guessing the Russians did most of the designing and planing.

Keep guessing while we will keep making.

Its funny how our neighbors blame us for coping albeit based on guesswork for our successful projects such as this one, space mission, nuclear sub etc while I have never heard anyone blaming us for coping for projects which are not doing well (eg LCA). Call it hypocrisy...!!!

What is this copy of?

May be this one..!!!
2b2be9d997eff1a85ab656a3680f4dd8.jpg

And look who thanked webbie? A Chinese:rofl::rofl:

Thanks for your compliment.:cheers:

welcome buddy:cheers:
To other indian mates>>> come on guys,lets move on, its not necessary for every one of you to reply to webbies post. i guess it was for the first something slipped out of his keyboard, so plz give the vetran webbie benefit of the doubt:what: and move on with thread with no harsh fealings:cheers:.
adios

i think it should be a good news for you indian, can this plane accommodate more than twenty five person with full equipment???

and i also heard a somehow official rumour that the chinese are going to introduce their first huge transport aircraft with carry capacity of two hundred tons by the end of this year, i dont know whether this is true or not, if true then that will be the largest transport aircraft on this planet, so you be prepared for the psychological impact moment...

i think it should be a good news for you indian, can this plane accommodate more than twenty five person with full equipment???

and i also heard a somehow official rumour that the chinese are going to introduce their first huge transport aircraft with carry capacity of two hundred tons by the end of this year, i dont know whether this is true or not, if true then that will be the largest transport aircraft on this planet, so you be prepared for the psychological impact moment...

Looks nice to me ! nothing wrong with it i don't hate unless forced upon & plzz for other members that are non indian plzz don't troll and start a flame plzz be fair and show some class.

Lol what has China do with this news.

Let's forgive the copy comment, most of the projects are inspired by something or other. What matters is what is being produced, it is not going to refuse to fly just because it might be a copy.

Saras is a small yet significant step in the right direction - a good investment with a potential for huge returns.
IAF seems to be reasonably satisfied with the performance of the aircraft. The third prototype to be launched next year will get clearance by the year end. The IAF is expected to place an order for another 30 aircrafts after the delivery of the first 15. The developer (NAL) and manufacturers (HAL) are also targeting the commercial market for large orders.
But, most importantly the Saras project has given NAL much needed confidence to take up bigger projects like the Regional Transport Aircraft RTA-70. Projects of such large scale can act as catalysts to boost the aerospace sector in the country. Since, these are non-strategic projects, the private sector too is expected to play a significant role. Overall, going by the total number of projects we are into – both indigenous & JV - the future of aerospace industry in the country looks bright.

RTA-70

990c8acacaf89daec806856c353518b4.jpg

The current government, in its first stint in power sanctioned the development of a 70-110 seat civilian airliner for the Indian market. While the money has already begun to flow into the programme, so far only preliminary conceptual studies have been carried out on the RTA-70 pictured above. These studies, according to NAL, include "computational fluid dynamics, wind tunnel studies and multidisciplinary design optimisation (MDO) studies".

NAL is developing the RTA-70 as a platform "capable of reliable and safe operation from airports with minimal infrastructure and instrumentation facility under all-weather conditions." It is not yet clear if the RTA-70 will also be spun off into a military variant for transport and special operations.

In May 2008, it was decided that technologies required the programme included a laminar flow wing, hydrophobic coatings, use of low cost composites, fly-by-wire controls, advanced avionics that will enable use of ill-equipped airfields and integrated vehicle health monitoring. Pratt & Whitney engines have almost been finalised for the platform.

On the airframe, structural technologies identified as crucial included use of piezo and SMA related smart materials for flutter and gust control, structural topology, structural health monitoring (SHM) and low cost materials. Architectures for avionics, active noise control systems flight control systems (fly by wire) and synthetic vision were additionally identified. Structural health monitoring, in fact, is being developed as a core technology of the RTA-70.

The RTA-70 will be developed and built using extensive private sector participation, and NAL is understood to also be hunting for a foreign collaborator. When ready, the RTA-70's makers envisage it as having about a 35% lower flyaway and ownership cost than aircraft it will ultimately be pitched against, those manufactured by Embraer, Bombardier and ATR.

The first prototype is expected to fly in 2013.

Its not the best, its not in competition with China, its a fledgling of our aviation industry. We are newcomers in this arena. But what it does for us is set the trend, yes one failed but that is the way technology evolves. That is why I urge the IAF to accept these aircraft and help in their modification and development, rejection will set us back completely. If the weight has been decreased by 500 kg that is an achievement and they should persevere in further reductions.
We need to emphasize on engine development, and we should pursue R&D in this field on a war footing, and even seek outside help if possible, sometimes it doesnt make sense to reinvent the wheel. With the LCA , the Dhruv and the Saras we are in the right direction, its a matter of time by then our efforts will mature and materialize. I salute you India, even though the rest of the world may be sceptical, but hey I believe in you and I look to the day of your vindiacation and I believe it will come.

Looks like a flying fishing boat, going on a duck hunt mission. No offense.

Seriously, just look at the design, It's really old. Looks like a pre-independence era design only being manifested after 50 years. I'd HATE to travel in one of those twin propeller planes, not again unless my life dependedon it, what a scary flight. still gives me goosebumps :lol:

Its not the best, its not in competition with China, its a fledgling of our aviation industry. We are newcomers in this arena. But what it does for us is set the trend, yes one failed but that is the way technology evolves. That is why I urge the IAF to accept these aircraft and help in their modification and development, rejection will set us back completely. If the weight has been decreased by 500 kg that is an achievement and they should persevere in further reductions.

Thanks for accepting India's technological inferiority to the Chinese. However I do believe you guys have the potential, knowledge and expertize to match up fairly quickly within a few years.

Looks like a flying fishing boat, going on a duck hunt mission. No offense.

Seriously, just look at the design, It's really old. Looks like a pre-independence era design only being manifested after 50 years. I'd HATE to travel in one of those twin propeller planes, not again unless my life dependedon it, what a scary flight. still gives me goosebumps :lol:

Thanks for accepting India's technological inferiority to the Chinese. However I do believe you guys have the potential, knowledge and expertize to match up fairly quickly within a few years.[/QUO

Firefighter, its never a shame to accept the truth, and as you also agree, we have the potential, its a matter of time and commitement

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom