What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
LCA composite % comparison with other planes

scaled.php

source: Boeing (2007)

^^ So, only 3 planes have a higher composite content than LCA: Eurofighter, 787 and AH-66.

Good. :tup:

no news from LCA. No ones seen it flying in Bangalore. Any one with any updates?

no news from LCA. No ones seen it flying in Bangalore. Any one with any updates?

LCA-Tejas has completed 1941 Test Flights Successfully. (12-July-2012).

(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-348,LSP1-74,LSP2-237,PV5-36,LSP3-75,LSP4-56,LSP5-105,LSP7-4,NP1-4)

LCA-Tejas has completed 1840 Test Flights Successfully. (30-April-2012).

(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-340,LSP1-74,LSP2-207,PV5-36,LSP3-49,LSP4-49,LSP5-80,LSP7-2,NP1-1)

LCA-Tejas has completed 1941 Test Flights Successfully. (12-July-2012).

(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-348,LSP1-74,LSP2-237,PV5-36,LSP3-75,LSP4-56,LSP5-105,LSP7-4,NP1-4)

LCA-Tejas has completed 1840 Test Flights Successfully. (30-April-2012).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-340,LSP1-74,LSP2-207,PV5-36,LSP3-49,LSP4-49,LSP5-80,LSP7-2,NP1-1)

That was in July 12 and this is August 22. No one has seen it flying in Bangalore, no updates about any tests for over a month(wake penetration, Bvr and if news is to be believed Lightening and weight distribution issues for whole plane etc), plus LSP 8 not flying yet.

India’s Light Combat Aircraft Prepares For Operational Clearance
NEW DELHI — India’s indigenously developed Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) is likely to win its final operational service clearance, following testing as part of an air exercise in February.

The single-seat, single-engine supersonic fighter will be put to the test during the “Iron Feast” exercise to be held in Pokhran in the western Indian state of Rajasthan.

“The Tejas will display its capabilities in the exercise, where its lethality, endurance and precision will be tested, and if the aircraft meets all parameters, its first squadron will be deployed in Bengaluru,” says Air Marshal Anjan Kumar Gogoi, chief of Southwestern Air Command.

The Tejas is designed to carry air-to-air, air-to-surface, precision-guided and standoff weaponry.

As of March, the LCA had undergone more than 1,816 test flights up to speeds of Mach 1.4. Initial Operational Clearance-1 (IOC-1) was achieved in January 2011. According to the Indian defense ministry, the Tejas has undertaken weapon trials, including flights with a laser-guided bomb. Various sensor trials also were conducted early this year. All told, the Tejas program has clocked 1,903 flights, totaling 1,120 hr.

The Indian air force (IAF), which has ordered 40 Tejas Mk-1s from Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL), has begun to induct the LCA, according to a ministry official. Out of the 40 aircraft, 20 were ordered under the IOC standards, with the rest under Final Operational Clearance standards. IAF plans to induct six LCA squadrons over the next 10 years, the official adds.

The first two squadrons, comprising 40 aircraft, will have first-generation Mk. 1 fighters. The additional four squadrons would be more-powerful Tejas Mk. 2s. The final price tag of the Mk. 2 only will be available after its development phase is complete , the official says.

The LCA’s design and development program is being led by the Aeronautical Development Agency, with HAL as the prime contractor.

The Indian government so far has approved 118.45 billion rupees ($2.1 billion) for the development of the Tejas, of which 50.51 billion rupees has been spent, the official says.

I think HAL should field trainer version of LCA Tejas for T-X Program {6 to 20 billion $ deal} in which U.S require 300-1000 Next Gen Advance Trainers for its airforce and Navy....It will perfectly fill the requirements of T-X Program like

a}Bidder to have fighter/attack variant...aerial refueling,night vission imaging system,sustain high G operation,air to air intercept.......

b}It will be the only bidder in the deal which can land on Aircraft Carrier.....

c}We are already using U.S engine in this platform....

d}It will be a huge boost for Defence relation between U.S and India....

IF BY chance this deal go through {That to If HAL part in this Deal}...It will provide a very huge boost to our defence aviation industry.....

^^ So, only 3 planes have a higher composite content than LCA: Eurofighter, 787 and AH-66.

Good. :tup:

Two of those three are non-fighter tyoes. AH-66 is a combat helo and 787 is a jet airliner, only Typhoon is left. Among these the R/AH-66 "Comanche" is however a cancelled project so only 2 other ac are gonna be around with a higher composite %age, and only 1 is a fighter among those 2.

Mk-2 LCA might well end up with far higher percentage of composites + RAM than Typhoon, EF-2000's present RCS with an absolute clean load is told to be around 0.8^2. Imagine what would be Mk-2 LCA's radar cross section (clean) in that regard...LCA is much smaller, could have higher %age of composites, addition of RAM, and with no canards to increase RCS while maneuvering.

I'd expect around 0.5^2 or lesser.

We should finally induct it into service in IAF, anything else is unimportant!

Correct.

because the timeline for which its usefulness to the IAF with its planned force makeup will still be significant is closing up now.
this aircraft was supposed to have been operational five years ago.
Those mig-21's have given enough already...

I think HAL should field trainer version of LCA Tejas for T-X Program {6 to 20 billion $ deal} in which U.S require 300-1000 Next Gen Advance Trainers for its airforce and Navy....It will perfectly fill the requirements of T-X Program like

a}Bidder to have fighter/attack variant...aerial refueling,night vission imaging system,sustain high G operation,air to air intercept.......

b}It will be the only bidder in the deal which can land on Aircraft Carrier.....

c}We are already using U.S engine in this platform....

d}It will be a huge boost for Defence relation between U.S and India....

IF BY chance this deal go through {That to If HAL part in this Deal}...It will provide a very huge boost to our defence aviation industry.....
yes i too wish the same ,if we could have operationalised lca a trainer sale could have been possible but HAL is not as agressive as KAI or alenia or BAE to market it to USA .........

Tejas IOC pushed back to 2013 | idrw.org

The initial operational clearance (IOC) for India’s locally designed Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) has been further delayed to mid-2013, postponing its active squadron service with the Indian Air Force (IAF) to 2015, if not beyond.

Officials said the LCA was expected to obtain full IOC after participating in the IAF’s ‘Iron Fist’ air exercises at Pokhran in the Rajasthan desert in February 2013.

“Tejas will display its capabilities during the exercise when its [weapon] lethality and precision will be tested,” Air Marshal Anjan Kumar Gogoi of South Western Command said on 24 August.

IAF officials estimate the single-engine LCA will eventually secure IOC by mid-2013, with final operational clearance (FOC) following in 2015.

^^I think all those people who are incharge for Ioc and Foc of LCA Tejas should be forced to fly Mig21 or Mig27 till FOC of Lca Tejas......Yaar mazaak bna ker rakh diya hai inhone........I don't know why don't they understand the value of life that we are putting at risk due to these 50 year old fighters {Mig21}

Tejas IOC pushed back to 2013 | idrw.org

The initial operational clearance (IOC) for India’s locally designed Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) has been further delayed to mid-2013, postponing its active squadron service with the Indian Air Force (IAF) to 2015, if not beyond.

Officials said the LCA was expected to obtain full IOC after participating in the IAF’s ‘Iron Fist’ air exercises at Pokhran in the Rajasthan desert in February 2013.

“Tejas will display its capabilities during the exercise when its [weapon] lethality and precision will be tested,” Air Marshal Anjan Kumar Gogoi of South Western Command said on 24 August.

IAF officials estimate the single-engine LCA will eventually secure IOC by mid-2013, with final operational clearance (FOC) following in 2015.

Some says that $20 Billion 200 Rafaels deals is to replace MiG-23/27s and add capability but some says its due to MiG-21s. But I say that its only to replace MiG-23/27s and add capability. on which all the INDIANs will agree. Although there will some delays in LCA for that I am sure Grippen NG can be a better option to adopt like having 80-120 in two phases???

^^I think all those people who are incharge for Ioc and Foc of LCA Tejas should be forced to fly Mig21 or Mig27 till FOC of Lca Tejas......Yaar mazaak bna ker rakh diya hai inhone........I don't know why don't they understand the value of life that we are putting at risk due to these 50 year old fighters {Mig21}

Last edited by a moderator:
Some says that $20 Billion 200 Rafaels deals is to replace MiG-23/27s and add capability but some says its due to MiG-21s. But I say that its only to replace MiG-23/27s and add capability. on which all the INDIANs will agree. Although there will some delays in LCA for that I am sure Grippen NG can be a better option to adopt like having 80-120 in two phases???

Yes, Rafale will be for the MMRCA requirement of the IAF, currently it is for 126 Rafales but follow on order will make it an upward figure of 200 + IMO, any further delay in LCA will force the IAF to increase the no. of Rafales procured even though the weight category of the two differ. I think this can change the figure to 250+ just for the IAF (maybe 50+ more for IN).

No, the delay in LCA does not mean IAF going for Gripen NG, it will certainly not like to add another foreign aircraft to it's inventory & making it a logistical nightmare (esp. when many systems of it are imported from US).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom