What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're probably right - India might not have a choice in the matter as well. We need a small, yet potent fighter which we hope to get in the Tejas MK2, but going by recent news that even the MK1 is only going to be ready by 2015 - I have lost a lot of faith in the program - When will MK2 first fly? and after first flight there will be hundreds if not thousands of test flights and then IOC and then FOC followed by production - if the project gets delayed even by a couple of years the IAF might have no option but to go for the Gripen. We cant just order more rafales or sukhois because we need a low maintenance, single engined fighter. Already the IAF has far too many twin engine fighters in the sukhoi, Rafales, mig 29s , and later PAK FA, the only single engine fighter remaining soon will be the mirage 2000 and the IAF cannot afford to fly a fleet with all heavies. This is the reason why the Tejas is so important but if it continues to dissapoint, the IAF will have no choice but to go for a different single engine, cheap to operate fighter and the only one meeting this requirement is the Gripen NG

I think IAF might get ready the HAL for some 50 Grippen NG assembly and 50 direct from Sweden. I am sure that there are successful flight test going on and you can also guess from the recent visit of "DRDO chief visit to Sweden and having a flight in NG" means that there has some great progress. Although if IAF denied it then it might be possible that PAF would look towards it. One thing everyone missed i.e: EF-2000 I am sure there is something fishy too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tejas MK-2 to get AESA radar | idrw.org

Aesa Radar development for Tejas MK-2 is in full swing but testing and certification might take some few more years and radar will be ready for the first batch of Tejas MK-2 , and will come in later batches of the aircraft as per DRDO sources .

Tejas MK-1 carries Pulse-Doppler Multi-Mode Radar which is integrate to Hybrid version of the EL/M-2032 radar with locally developed radar systems , this radar will be in first 40 aircraft’s ordered by Indian air force in Tejas MK-1 batch and even in first few aircraft of Tejas MK-2 will carry same radar before both Tejas MK-1 and MK-2 radars are replaced by new AESA radar .

New AESA will be have many of similar components of current radar and come in similar dimension to current MMR radar , But defence experts Rakesh sharma is skeptical on DRDO’s claims , ” DRDO still has not declared who will be its technical partner in AESA radar development yet , under whom they were supposed to develop first 10 prototype radars under a technical partner ” and adds “Aesa might come in later batches rather then in first few aircraft’s”

Sources close to idrw.org have informed that first Tejas MK-2 will be ready by end of 2014 and will be ready for first flight in 2014 , new higher thrust engines from GE for Tejas MK-2 will start arriving in late 2013 and integration will happen by 2014 .Tejas MK-2 will carry new Avionics and new cockpit layout and development has already started and work on first air frame for Tejas MK-2 will start in 2013 .

But I am sure that 100 Gripen NG along with 51 more Mirage 2000 from France will come with upgrades.

But I am sure that 100 Gripen NG along with 51 more Mirage 2000 from France will come with upgrades.

Just that Gripen NG will only come at the time when LCA MK2 comes, that's why Swiss might get older Gripen C/Ds as stopgaps and Mirage 2000 is not in production anymore. So both are no option, instead of LCA.

Just that Gripen NG will only come at the time when LCA MK2 comes, that's why Swiss might get older Gripen C/Ds as stopgaps and Mirage 2000 is not in production anymore. So both are no option, instead of LCA.

I mean to say that Mirage 2000 from FAF and they will going to upgrade it like the IAF ones.

That's assuming that the LCA MK2 comes on time - I think its a matter of one more delay(very likely because its HAL we're dealing with here) and the Gripen NG might be ordered - we wont even have to conduct trials before buying as trials are already over.

That's assuming that the LCA MK2 comes on time - I think its a matter of one more delay(very likely because its HAL we're dealing with here) and the Gripen NG might be ordered - we wont even have to conduct trials before buying as trials are already over.
I am quite sure that IAF will going to place an order for 40-60 Grippen NG very soon and the Saab will going to bring it out in coming years may be in 2013/2014 along with the IAF being supplied with the new batch. Although there is some chance that Mirage2000 from FAF can be a part of IAF as well along with Grippen as IAF love this. But I am sure for Grippen.

I am quite sure that IAF will going to place an order for 40-60 Grippen NG very soon and the Saab will going to bring it out in coming years may be in 2013/2014 along with the IAF being supplied with the new batch. Although there is some chance that Mirage2000 from FAF can be a part of IAF as well along with Grippen as IAF love this. But I am sure for Grippen.

Like I said in the other thread- NOT going to happen! IAF has already said it is looking to reduce varety in fleet, adding more of different types is more than absurd especially a type like Gripen that failed fair and square in MMRCA.

I mean to say that Mirage 2000 from FAF and they will going to upgrade it like the IAF ones.

They are not going to be upgraded to 2K-5 standard, France is only upgrading their Mirage D and N strike fighters, so these are useless for IAF as well.

Similarly, what tells you that Gripen NG comes in time? During MMRCA they told us it will be ready till 2015, now they tell the Swiss that it will be available only by 2017/18 and that they can have 2nd hand C/Ds for the meantime. The first real Gripen NG prototype will fly only next year, initially planned early this year, all this while Gripen productionline is going to it's end.

not the best of the news. I was a supporter of HAL till this. I guess I need to change my stance.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/115477337653794596531/posts/3BMVLgfmJLS

IAF Declines to Induct Tejas LCA LSP Aircraft

IDP Sentinel has learn't that the IAF has declined to induct the Tejas LCA LSP aircraft because they don't conform to IOC.

This hasn't been reported in the Indian press.

IAF now plans to raise its first squadron using the Series Production (SP) variants of the aircraft, manufacture of which is yet to start.

Which means several statements made by DRDO Chief VK Saraswat that the first IAF Tejas squadron will be raised this year (He even mentioned June once) were speculative.

One of the reasons why ADA and HAL are having a hard time obtaining IOC-2 on the Tejas Mk-1 is because HAL has been manufacturing the 4th Gen Tejas using 2 Gen manufacturing techniques.

Because HAL's manufacturing process is outdated, variations between copies of Tejas aircraft are larger than can be accommodated by the FBW control system.

Because of weight creep, the C of G of the Tejas is now significantly behind its C of P (Center of Pressure, where the lift acts) making it very unstable aircraft. Indeed, the Tejas is the most unstable fighter in the world.

Tejas's instability increases with the AOA, pushing its FBW system to its limit. Poor manufacture aggravates the problem at high AOA, which is why the aircraft has not yet met IAF QRs on AOA.

Hopefully, HAL will SP aircraft will conform to more stringent manufacturing standards, allowing for AOA expansion.

DRDO's new lollypop...........
7661991916_64e7bc685e_b.jpg

IAF Declines to Induct Tejas LCA LSP Aircraft

IDP Sentinel has learn't that the IAF has declined to induct the Tejas LCA LSP aircraft because they don't conform to IOC.

This hasn't been reported in the Indian press.

IAF now plans to raise its first squadron using the Series Production (SP) variants of the aircraft, manufacture of which is yet to start.

Which means several statements made by DRDO Chief VK Saraswat that the first IAF Tejas squadron will be raised this year (He even mentioned June once) were speculative.

One of the reasons why ADA and HAL are having a hard time obtaining IOC-2 on the Tejas Mk-1 is because HAL has been manufacturing the 4th Gen Tejas using 2 Gen manufacturing techniques.

Because HAL's manufacturing process is outdated, variations between copies of Tejas aircraft are larger than can be accommodated by the FBW control system.

Because of weight creep, the C of G of the Tejas is now significantly behind its C of P (Center of Pressure, where the lift acts) making it very unstable aircraft. Indeed, the Tejas is the most unstable fighter in the world.

Tejas's instability increases with the AOA, pushing its FBW system to its limit. Poor manufacture aggravates the problem at high AOA, which is why the aircraft has not yet met IAF QRs on AOA.

Hopefully, HAL will SP aircraft will conform to more stringent manufacturing standards, allowing for AOA expansion.

load of bull **** by thakur. No authority in its right mind will give Certificate of Airworthiness (CoA) to LSPs if their are serious design variations and if such a serious problem of unpredictable CG exists for the LSPs. Heck, tejas cg locations changes during flight as the fuel is consumed and designers have taken care of that by pumping fuel to different sections in flight to maintain the desired cg position from the neutral point. CEMILAC and ASTE give CoA only after the prototypes passes all the stringent requirements of design, flight controls etc.

2nd generation manufacturing?? I think thakur is still living in its old days? he should visit HAlmanufacturing units for MKI, Dhruv etc. I didnt know that Use of composites in aircraft frame is a 2nd gen technology.

INDIGENOUS DEVELOPMENT OF LINE REPLACEABLE UNITS (LRU’s) FOR LCA-TEJAS

ADA is the Nodal agency involved in the design and development of Tejas Aircraft along with HAL as a principal partner and in coordination with nearly 100 work centres spread across the country. The Tejas development program is in advanced stage, completed Initial Operation Clearance (IOC) requirements and marching towards final operation clearance (FOC). Tejas has completed over 2000 flights so far and continuing system performance and evaluation towards reaching Final Operational Clearance (FOC). There are 358 LRU's (Components) in the Tejas aircraft, out of which 53% of total LRU's are indigenously developed with in India. In view to reduce the remaining 47% of the import LRU's, ADA has initiated the Indigenous development programme for indigenization of the import LRU's.
The List of Components (LRU's) which belong to different systems of Aircraft, ADA is looking to indigenous is given in the table below.

First Source: AA Me, IN: Imported components used in the Light Combat Aircraft [LCA] Tejas, to be taken up for indigenisation

Since the site is not opening now, here is the actual link

http://www.ada.gov.in/ADA-IND.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom