What's new

Five blasts inside Mahabodhi temple in Bihar's Bodhgaya district

India police make arrest over temple bombs

Indian police arrested a man on Monday over weekend bomb attacks targeting one of Buddhism's holiest sites and were studying CCTV footage that appeared to show two men planting explosives.

The Indian government condemned the "terror attack" after multiple small bombs exploded at the historic Bodh Gaya Buddhist temple complex on Sunday morning, wounding two monks at the pilgrimage destination in eastern Bihar state.

"The police are doing everything to identify the two persons on the basis of the CCTV footage," local police official Chandan Kushwaha told AFP.

Security camera footage released of the complex, a UNESCO World Heritage site, also showed pilgrims running from the scene after one of the blasts.

Indian Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said 10 bombs exploded at the site, increasing the previous number from nine, with three more devices discovered and defused.

"Today, I have the information of 10 blasts. A total of 13 bombs were placed there... (but) I will not go into details where they were kept," Shinde told reporters.

No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, but police arrested a local man who was being questioned in connection with the blasts.

"A man identified as Vinod Mistri was taken into custody in connection with the serial bomb blasts in Bodh Gaya," state police official S.K. Bharadwaj told AFP.

Police picked up Mistri in the Barachatti area, a stronghold of Maoist insurgents 130 kilometres (80 miles) south of the state capital Patna, Bharadwaj said.

Delhi police said they had earlier warned officials that Islamic militants could target the temple complex as revenge for unrest involving Buddhists and Muslims in neighbouring Myanmar.

Attacks on Buddhists are rare in India, but there have been tensions in the region recently following the clashes in Myanmar, as well as frictions in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.

Sri Lanka stepped up security on Monday for its holiest Buddhist temple, containing the sacred Sri Maha Bodhi tree, following the blasts in neighbouring India, police said.

"We have asked all units to be extra vigilant," a police official told AFP on condition of anonymity. "We had a discussion with the chief monks and decided on a string of new measures."

The Indian complex contains temples, a celebrated 80-feet-tall (24-metre) statue of the Buddha, and dozens of monasteries housing monks from around the world. It also contains the holy Bodhi tree, where Buddhists believe the Buddha reached enlightenment in 531 BC.

After his meditations beneath the tree, the Buddha is said to have devoted the rest of his life to teaching.

The complex houses multiple shrines marking the places where Buddha is said to have spent time after his enlightenment. He founded an order of monks before dying aged 80.

The complex, 110 kilometres south of Patna, is one of the earliest Buddhist temples still standing in India.

The Dalai Lama, the Tibetan spiritual leader, makes frequent trips to the complex, which attracts visitors during the peak tourist season from October to March.

Yahoo! News UK & Ireland - Latest World News & UK News Headlines

Attacking any place of worship is wrong.

I see some Muslim-bashing rhetoric by peace-loving dharmics in this very thread; the irony is delicious

as for the attack - most likely retaliation by some elements inside india who are angry about the systematic genocide of rohingyas in neighbouring Burma.....the violence against the group has been astounding.

however - this is not a good way for payback; it'll only create more tit for tat violence.

this whole 'holier than thou' mentality of some of you people is part of the problem, not the solution. Either talk like an educated person would or just keep your beaks shut.

Something bad happens = Muslims involved

ALL Monotheists are inherently evil.

Muhahahahaha......

No sir. They mention like - 'some nut jobs' :)

I see some Muslim-bashing rhetoric by peace-loving dharmics in this very thread; the irony is delicious

as for the attack - most likely retaliation by some elements inside india who are angry about the systematic genocide of rohingyas in neighbouring Burma.....the violence against the group has been astounding.

however - this is not a good way for payback; it'll only create more tit for tat violence.

this whole 'holier than thou' mentality of some of you people is part of the problem, not the solution. Either talk like an educated person would or just keep your beaks shut.

Why on earth will Maoist attack a Buddhist temple?
Maoist mostly attack anything that represents government/administration.

No idea.

People who justify their means through violence are unpredictable.

Better pay attention to those lot.

The bombs appeared to be rather primitive/ineffective. Had it been an international terrorist group like Al-Qaeda and such, there would had been casualties for sure. They really know how to make and plant bombs.

No idea.

The bombs appeared to be rather primitive/ineffective. Had it been an international terrorist group like Al-Qaeda and such, there would had been casualties for sure. They really know how to make and plant bombs.

Al-Qaeda doesn't operate in India as far as i have known and intent here is rather symbolic may be linked to the Myanmar.
I agree these designs were rather amateurish.
But article indicates a Maoist link which is rather worrying cause it approves the fear that these organizations are now working together.

No idea.

Sir, You have no Idea about how powerful bombs maoist use. Anyway Initial reports says that Indian Mujahidin is behind the attack.

ISI snekaing terrorists and agents thru Nepal and Bangladesh has been going on for decades. This is not news. The question is why do we keep allowing it to happen? Where its the proactive responses?

Plz vote for Modi if you want Change? Everything China does is part of a bigger game plan. It has a plan in play and it will take its time to get what it wants. Obtaining land in and aorund Siliguri thru Bhutan is a calculated effort. Why? Think dammnit! Look around you all in India! Support for Maoists, Ulfa, NCSN via Mynamar and Bangladesh, support for Nepal's Maoists gov't which translates as to aluanching pad for nefarious activities against India, Sri Lanka ebing openly courted by CHina with ports, space ventures, etc, developments of God knows what exactly involving 1000's Chinese engineers in Pakistan occupied Kashmir, etc.......and the nerve of some of you INDIAN idiots to keep saying oh nothing is happening...China is just trying to build itself up economically....STFU! Open your eyes ir you cannot open your mind!

VOTE MODI or prepared to be smashed into pieces in the future. The only hope we have to changing India for the better is kicking out Rahul, Priyanka, Sonia and all those corrupt MFers.....like Laloo, mayawati....sure we won;t do **** because the youngsters in India don't have the balls to stand up for what is right. The youth of today in India can never ever be compared to the ppl during our war for Independence.....you guys suck! Im sure you will give me 1000's of excuses why this and why that...I don;t want to hear it...show me action and change!

Modi may not be perfect...and the BJP is f-king corrupt.....but at least MODI has a vision and he wants to put India back on the map....VOTE OR DIE!

Sir, You have no Idea about how powerful bombs maoist use. Anyway Initial reports says that Indian Mujahidin is behind the attack.

I love how idiots love to malign the Maoists as some idiots.....but in reality they are quite smart enjoying support from across the social spectrum, rich and poor, all religions, ex servicemen, etc. Like you stated, their bomb techniques are better than Al Queada.....ppl tend to forget LTTE was using suicide bombers well before any Muslim group in the 20th century

Reverse phycology my behind.. Keep on vouching for pure blood syndrome.. After they done with us, they will come after you guys because you are not Dharmic enough.. If you want evidence, take a good look at what happens in our neighborhood.. Only the color of flag is changed, rest all are same...

The Hindu right wing or the goons of certain self-appointed politically-high ground parties?

If you're telling me that they'll come after my community, they could have done that centuries ago and finished us off even before Abrahamic religions came out of their homelands.

They could have even done it after independence when the Hindu majority was stronger in proportion and fresh from the high emotions of communal violence faced during Partition. But instead they (the Hindu community as a whole) asked us whether we wanted to join the union.

That's the difference between them and organized religions. There's no conversion in our stream, because we're all the offshoots of the same reality.

Reverse phycology my behind.. Keep on vouching for pure blood syndrome.. After they done with us, they will come after you guys because you are not Dharmic enough.. If you want evidence, take a good look at what happens in our neighborhood.. Only the color of flag is changed, rest all are same...

Why are you so worried............

What else do you expect?

For the massacres in south Thailand, did my community come and attack your holiest shrine in Saudi?

Myanmar is a Buddhist country officially which means that just like Islam is of a status in your country, so is my faith in Myanmar. So why do you look at it as any different? If you create problem against what is official, naturally people there will hit hard. Every government isn't a loser like the secoolar jerks in India and naturally retaliation was going to happen.

If they are so concerned, why the fck don't they get out of India, gain some Islamic country's nationality and dare attack the Burmese military?

Why in our country?

This was the last straw.

Do you know how serious this attack is?

It is equivalent to how if someday US attacked and destroyed your holiest shrine in Saudi.

Would you not feel angered by this?

Give me a break.

You bet it will.

This will seriously escalate into the level of the cycle of violence you've gotten with the Hindus into since a few centuries.

this whole 'holier than thou' mentality of some of you people is part of the problem, not the solution. Either talk like an educated person would or just keep your beaks shut

In a Buddhist country, Buddhists are first preferred, just like your Muslim countries prefer Muslims first.

Simple as that.

If Rohingyas messed up and got attacked in a foreign country, it is no reason for you lot to attack Buddhists in India.

And it is not Muslims to blame but Secularist scum who for sub-servience have let this menace go out of hand.

Dont care, these people are killing rohinga's

Buddist minorities could face punishment in places like indonesia, malysia or Bangla if the Rohinga dont get justice

Back
Top Bottom