What's new

First Project-28 ASW Corvette Launch Today

Can we have some decent pictures that reveal the entire shape of the hull?

this isz the best view i could get

TH20_SHIP_108662f.jpg

I do not want to degrade the work of our engineers and workers in our yards. At the same time, I am not so ignorant so as to consider these ships as home grown technologies.

Your sentiment is exactly opposite what you have said in your previous post. You already degraded the achievements of Indian designers and ship builders....

""domestic"? Indian shipyards "integrate" technology. Take one look at the technologies in use in ships like the "shivaliks" or "kolkatas" and you will get a god enough idea. building the steel hull does not equate to indigenous system!
:rolleyes: "

You talk about P-28's. Just to give you some examples

1) Integrated ship management system: L3-mapps

and not just IN ships. Some other navies using the same technology include: US Navy, German Navy, UK Royal Navy, French Navy
So who ever uses L3 MAPPS is not indigenous or domestic?

2) Propulsion: CODAD, Pielstick 12 PA6 STC engines rated at 4270 Kw each. Company: MAN diesel
They are built in India by Kirloskar under license.

3) Next for weapon systems: Barak, AK-630M and OTO Merala gun!
If Klub is not there than rest of the weapons are made in India.

4) DCNS involvement: raft mounted propulsion system

Mainly built by Walchandnagar Industries under ToT.

And I am not even talking about other subsystems which are small enough to get under the radar but can bring them up by going through the public tenders issued by the comany (GRSE) in question.

Bring them up!!! Let see...

Do you want me to take a shot at kolkata? Seriously!!!!?
Seriously. I know as much as you know.

IMO sourcing these systems from outside vendors makes perfect sense!

Everyone does that but I don't under stand how it is called just 'integration'?

When I talked of complete systems, I meant the whole world and not India :rolleyes:!
That why bashing Indian ship building industry?

P-28 is a good move towards complete indigenous ship with very few systems from abroad. I will give you MAPPS, 12P6B, gearbox and few weapons and let you 'integrate' a ship like P-28! See what happens... Talk is very easy and bashing Indian achievements is easier but its very difficult to design and build a ship.

did u expect this buddy. i sense u feel dissappointed from your statrment

:devil: :cheers: :partay:

:tup:
Mate our P-28 has many technologies similar to Visby. The frontal design may not be as stealthy as Visby but technologically almost same. As Dark Angel mentioned we need a good paint job as well. :smitten::victory:

Your sentiment is exactly opposite what you have said in your previous post. You already degraded the achievements of Indian designers and ship builders....

""domestic"? Indian shipyards "integrate" technology. Take one look at the technologies in use in ships like the "shivaliks" or "kolkatas" and you will get a god enough idea. building the steel hull does not equate to indigenous system!
:rolleyes: "

So who ever uses L3 MAPPS is not indigenous or domestic?

They are built in India by Kirloskar under license.

If Klub is not there than rest of the weapons are made in India.

Mainly built by Walchandnagar Industries under ToT.

Bring them up!!! Let see...

Seriously. I know as much as you know.

Everyone does that but I don't under stand how it is called just 'integration'?

That why bashing Indian ship building industry?

P-28 is a good move towards complete indigenous ship with very few systems from abroad. I will give you MAPPS, 12P6B, gearbox and few weapons and let you 'integrate' a ship like P-28! See what happens... Talk is very easy and bashing Indian achievements is easier but its very difficult to design and build a ship.

Dude who bashed Indian achievements? I have stated in the said post that I "agree" that it is a good move. In fact, I am saying every major yard on this planet does the same!!!

I am sure you know more than I do. But my statement was not in error. If you equate ToT to being home grown, I believe airforce and army are also doing a damn fine job with their T-90's and mki's. Please go through my post again to look at the reason for my post. I responded to an assertion that IN is doing a "wonderful" job by going "indegenous". My post was meant to illustrate how wrong that statement is! I will not want to to get into a debate with you on this issue. It will lead us nowhere. I rest my case! :rolleyes:

did u expect this buddy. i sense u feel dissappointed from your statrment

:devil: :cheers: :partay:

Hello before you compare both corvette, check the size , displacement and armour carried by both the corvette. Secondly check the role these corvette need to play in future wrt to neighbourhood Sweden has and India has.

Moreover see the armaments carried by both corvette:-
Visbey:-
1 × 57 Mk3
8 × RBS15 Mk2 AShM
Mines and depth charges

P-28
1 X 76.2 mm Oto SRGM
2 x AK-630M CIWS
6 x 3M54 Klub
2 X RBU-6000 (IRL) anti-submarine rocket launcher
Barak SAM

Donot guess stealth just by seeing the ship, Although Visbey is ahead of P-28 in stealth but P-28 will be much better than current ASW corvette and will add punch to Indian Navy's capabilities. And since its designed and manufactured in India that will give exp. to shipbuilding industry and next series of corvette will be too much ahead in terms of stealth, fire power and other fields.

Last edited:
F-22P carries anti ship missiles but P-28 does not.

Says who?

There will be 6/8 Klub/BrahMos missiles on P-28.

5) P-28 will carry long range anti-submarine missile most likely Klub as well as long range heavy weight torpedo. It will also carry indigenous rocket launchers developed by L&T. F-22P carries light weight torpedo but lacks others.

Klub will be (if at all selected over BrahMos) anti ship and not anti submarine. The anti submarine rocket launchers are not indegenous either. They are two Larsen & Toubro built derivatives of the RBU-6000 anti-submarine rocket launcher.

The ship will also have Larsen and Toubro built torpedo launchers for anti submarine role not sure which torpedoes it will launch though.

6) P-28 will get AK-630M CIWS while F-22 will get Type-730B CIWS.

Irrilavant.

7) P-28 costs much more than F-22P.

Irrilavant.
Modification welcome. :cheers:[/

Done.

GB

Dude who bashed Indian achievements? I have stated in the said post that I "agree" that it is a good move. In fact, I am saying every major yard on this planet does the same!!!

I am sure you know more than I do. But my statement was not in error. If you equate ToT to being home grown, I believe airforce and army are also doing a damn fine job with their T-90's and mki's. Please go through my post again to look at the reason for my post. I responded to an assertion that IN is doing a "wonderful" job by going "indegenous". My post was meant to illustrate how wrong that statement is! I will not want to to get into a debate with you on this issue. It will lead us nowhere. I rest my case! :rolleyes:
Ma! You first said that India just made the hull and that doesn't mean indigenous!! Second you said Indian ship builders integrate ships not design and build them!!!! Three to four systems onboard P-28 makes you think that it is just 'integration'. OK forget!!!
------

Defence Press Release

Broadsword: INS Kamorta, the first Project 28 Anti-submarine Corvette, launched at Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) today

Mrs Mamatha M, wife of Shri MM Pallam Raju, Hon’ble Raksha Rajya Mantri, today launched first of its kind Anti Submarine Warfare(ASW) Corevette at GRSE shipyard in Kolkata. Shri MM Pallam Raju, Mr Asim Kr Dasgupta, Hon’ble Minister of Finance & Excise, Govt of West Bengal, Shri RK Singh, Secretary of Defence Productions and Vice Admiral Anup Singh were present on this occasion.

The ASW Corvette belongs to the Kamorta Class of Warships with Anti Submarine Warfare capability and very low signature of radiated under water noise. This Corvette is designated to be a frontline warship for the Indian Navy. This ship is equipped with Sophisticated arrangement for mounting Ships machinery. The weapon Systems and sensor suits of this ship are fully indigenous. The ‘X’ form of hull and superstructure gives her a low radar cross section. The Ship’s hull form has overall length of 109 mtrs and can cut through the sea at a very high speed of 25 knots. She is built with special grade high tensile steel.

The propulsion system of the ship typifies power combined with flexibility and consists of two controllable pitch propellers. It has four indigenously made Diesel engines each of 3800 kw. The ASW Corvette is 13.7 mtrs wide. Four ASW Corvettes are presently under construction at GRSE.

The launching of this ship marked the completion of 50 years of GRSE’s glorious existence. Though it was set up in year 1884 as a private enterprise named Garden Reach Workshop Ltd, it was taken over by the Govt of India and placed under administrative control of Min of Defence in 1960. Since then the company has come a long way with steady expansion of infrastructure, keeping pace with time and catering to defence preparedness of the country.

Today the ship yard has six manufacturing units in and around Kolkata and one at Ranchi. GRSE is committed to building warships of highest standards for Indian Navy and Coast Guard. The Company is modernizing its infrastructure at an estimated cost of over 530 crores rupees. This includes building a large Dry Dock and an inclined berth, a 250 tonnes Goliath Crane and modular halls with allied workship facilities.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom