What's new

First Project-28 ASW Corvette Launch Today

Lafayette

FS_Surcouf.jpg

Countries like Sweden that border smaller seas, such as the Baltic Sea or the Persian Gulf, are more likely to build the smaller and more maneuverable corvettes.

fine buudy...but i meant was both should not be called corvettes..there should be some different terminology..otherwise it doesnt do justice to P-28 ..lol

fine buudy...but i meant was both should not be called corvettes..there should be some different terminology..otherwise it doesnt do justice to P-28 ..lol

It depends on countries. Just like Pakistan Navy calls 2400 ton F-22P as frigate while Indian Navy calls 2500 ton P-28 as corvette.

It depends on countries. Just like Pakistan Navy calls 2400 ton F-22P as frigate while Indian Navy calls 2500 ton P-28 as corvette.
Good proint can you tell me how much difference between F22p & P-28

Good proint can you tell me how much difference between F22p & P-28

As far as I know, F-22P is a multi-purpose frigate just like Indian Navy's P-16 frigates or recent P-17 frigates while P-28 is specialized for anti submarine warfare.

Few differences I noticed,

1) New P-28s will have stealth features with composite super-structure while F-22P lacks them.

2) F-22P carries anti ship missiles but P-28 does not.

3) P-28 will get Barak-I anti-missile system to defend against anti-ship missiles while F-22P has HQ-9 SAM.

4) P-28 will carry many high end submarine detection systems including very low frequency active, passive, towed sonars. F-22P does not have them.

5) P-28 will carry long range anti-submarine missile most likely Klub as well as long range heavy weight torpedo. It will also carry indigenous rocket launchers developed by L&T. F-22P carries light weight torpedo but lacks others.

6) P-28 will get AK-630M CIWS while F-22 will get Type-730B CIWS.

7) P-28 costs much more than F-22P.

Modification welcome. :cheers:

Last edited:
i wonder why indian army and airforce dosent follow the foot steps of indian navy when it comes to buying or inducting domestic military hard ware

i wonder why indian army and airforce dosent follow the foot steps of indian navy when it comes to buying or inducting domestic military hard ware

The ethos and culture in all 3 forces is very different, with Army being the most stiff upper lipped and Navy the most informal. That could be one reason it is more acceptable to new ideas.

Also since independence lions share of the def budget would go to Army, so AF and Navy in particular had to make do with whatever money they got.

Army was also blessed with maximum facilities, weapons etc. from the British which explains their preference for top of the line battle ready western gear rather than investing in not so top of the line indigenous products. They are not used to working with weapons-in-development & in-progress. This could be the Army's undoing.

Wat does Kamorta mean..?if any...

"domestic"? Indian shipyards "integrate" technology. Take one look at the technologies in use in ships like the "shivaliks" or "kolkatas" and you will get a god enough idea. building the steel hull does not equate to indigenous system! :rolleyes:

The days of making complete systems is gone. Indian R&D organizations should focus on specific technologies and integrate rest from the best of east & west. That's when we get beauties like INS shivalik or INS kamorta!

"domestic"? Indian shipyards "integrate" technology. Take one look at the technologies in use in ships like the "shivaliks" or "kolkatas" and you will get a god enough idea. building the steel hull does not equate to indigenous system! :rolleyes:

The days of making complete systems is gone. Indian R&D organizations should focus on specific technologies and integrate rest from the best of east & west. That's when we get beauties like INS shivalik or INS kamorta!

That you call 'integrate'? :lol: Which parts of the P-28 are bought from foreign countries? Except some weapons and gearbox? Kolkata will get most of the equipments from Indian industries and DRDO/PSUs.

The days of making complete systems is gone.

When last time we made 'complete systems'? :what:

That you call 'integrate'? :lol: Which parts of the P-28 are bought from foreign countries? Except some weapons and gearbox? Kolkata will get most of the equipments from Indian industries and DRDO/PSUs.

When last time we made 'complete systems'? :what:

I do not want to degrade the work of our engineers and workers in our yards. At the same time, I am not so ignorant so as to consider these ships as home grown technologies.

You talk about P-28's. Just to give you some examples

1) Integrated ship management system: L3-mapps

In addition to providing advanced monitoring and control capability for the ship's platform machinery, for example for propulsion, electrics, auxiliaries, damage control and steering, L-3 MAPPS's IPMS incorporates a number of advanced applications, such as an integrated bridge system; a digital gas turbine control system; a battle damage control system; an equipment health monitoring system (including vibration monitoring); an on-board team training system; and a digital CCTV system.

L-3 MAPPS's Marine Control System's successes can be attributed to proven systems utilizing advanced technology, plus an integrated marine product team approach which enables L-3 MAPPS to 'think locally and act globally.' We make a concerted effort to listen carefully to our customers, and work closely with our sister companies and partners to meet customer needs with superior IPMS technology.

and not just IN ships. Some other navies using the same technology include: US Navy, German Navy, UK Royal Navy, French Navy

2) Propulsion: CODAD, Pielstick 12 PA6 STC engines rated at 4270 Kw each. Company: MAN diesel
The STC system offers optimum engine-turbocharger matching for special requirements and gives the type 28/33D engines an extended torque envelope, resulting in economical operating modes and improved engine acceleration characteristics. These modes are especially useful in naval applications and include cruising with a controllable pitch propeller set at optimum pitch for noise while still retaining high acceleration capability; operating a single engine at twice the propeller law in multi-engine systems (e.g. twin-input/single-output gears, CODOG etc). MAN Diesel’s STC system is derived from well-proven equipment used on the Pielstick PA6 engine and
in contrast to other sequential turbocharging systems, the MAN Diesel STC system is essentially – and intentionally – simple, consisting of two identical, standard turbochargers, one providing
copious charge-air at low and medium speeds with the second
cutting in at higher speeds.

3) Next for weapon systems:

Armament is to include a license-built OTO Melara 76mm Super Rapid Gun in a stealth mount and a 16-cell Barak SAM launcher, a pair of AK-630M CIWS (Close In Weapon System), two Larsen & Tubro built derivatives of the RBU-6000 anti-submarine rocket launcher and four Larsen & Tubro built 533mm torpedo launchers.

4) DCNS involvement:

It was announced on 21 December 2006 that GRSE awarded DCNS of France a contract to provide a comprehensive engineering package of raft-mounted Propulsion Power Transmission Systems (PPTS) for the four corvettes. Under the contract, this French ship-building company will deliver four propulsion packages (including eight reduction gear units on cradles and either thrust blocks) to GRSE. The company will also provide support to GRSE for the mechanical integration of the propulsion plant.

And I am not even talking about other subsystems which are small enough to get under the radar but can bring them up by going through the public tenders issued by the comany (GRSE) in question.

Do you want me to take a shot at kolkata? Seriously!!!!?

IMO sourcing these systems from outside vendors makes perfect sense!

When I talked of complete systems, I meant the whole world and not India :rolleyes:!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom