What's new

Emergency Imposed!

Vote about Emergency Imposed!

• I support it. I am done with CJ, political instability, Benazir.

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • I condemn it. Musharraf needs to step down, and elect as a RETIRED General.

Votes: 30 45.5%

• Total voters
Raid on Aaj television Islamabad station

ISLAMABAD (updated on: November 04, 2007, 02:19 PST): Police raided the offices of the Aaj television channel in Islamabad early on Sunday and attempted to confiscate broadcasting equipment, a senior producer said.

The move came after President Pervez Musharraf imposed a state of emergency and imposed tough new curbs on the media, including that they are not allowed to publish or broadcast anything that ‘defames’ him.

‘Police have entered our office and a judicial officer is trying to confiscate our equipement,’ Aaj TV director of news Talat Hussain told AFP.

"They have no legal paperwork with them," he said.

Private television channels went off air shortly before the state of emergency was announced

Hussain said police wanted to impound a van which is used to broadcast live coverage.

"They have been able to hack into our service, we are living under dicatorship. We strongly condemn the police action," he added.

Police at the scene told an AFP correspondent that they were on a routine security patrol.

The media order imposed by Musharraf earlier gave the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority the power to confiscate equipment belonging to violators and to seize their premises for 30 days.

It says there is a maximum punishment of three years in jail or a fine of 10 million rupees (166,700 dollars) for anyone who breaches the code.

Business Recorder [Pakistan's First Financial Daily]

It’s not the emergency but martial law: Sajjad Ali Shah

KARACHI: Former Chief Justice, Sajjad Ali Shah has said that along with the enforcement of emergency the constitution has been suspended and this was not the emergency but martial law.

Talking to Geo News, he said that the emergency in the country has been clamped through a wrong process.

Geo.tv

Emergency will add to the problems for Musharraf: Asad Durrani

ISLAMABAD: ISI former chief, Asad Durrani has said that the clamping of emergency would add to the problems for President Musharraf.

Talking to Geo news, he said that the enforced emergency in the country could be technically called martial law.

geo.tv

Its a Marshal Law the constitution of Pakistan is Suspended and he is dictating new rules.

I guess Owais and karpov you guys would not like to see this forum banned also :) :)

PAKISTAN ARMY HAS LET ITSELF BECOME A BANANA ARMY.IT HAS BECOME A SOURCE OF HATRED FOR THE PEOPLE OF PAKISTAN.

Hon Members,

I dont work Friday and Saturday and by today there are 24 pages in this post already. I have read quite a few but not all so please forgive me if I repeat a few opinions.

I am a democrat and believe in the freedom of the press, thus when I heard the news of Geo TV on Thursday night, I was up very late to hear what was happening. Last night the same again and heard the full address of the President.

I have been thinking about the state of our beloved country ever since the emergency was imposed. Let us for a moment think about the whole situation dispassionately.

Firstly, is this correct that Judiciary was impeding the smooth running of day to day affairs of the country?

This is true. I have never heard of so many Suo Moto actions ever. Lal Masjid affair is the case in point. Despite such a tragic event; a shooting war between the Commandos and the extremists inside the LM compound; CJ ordered it to be handed back to the near relations of the Ghazis. Would you want to see the same fire fight again after a few months?

In Nawaz Sharif case, Supreme Court totally ignored the agreement which was signed by NS himself. The reference against the CJ was dismissed without any consideration of the charges. No explanation given to this day. Dose it mean that there is no way a Supreme Court judge can be taken to task for a wrong doing. Are these judges “infallible”??

The case of missing persons. As long as a suicide bomber/terrorist has not physically exploded a bomb/blown himself up; legally he has committed no crime. However, when the intelligence services have info that such a man is likely to do so, only preventive measure is to isolate him thru arrest. If thru Suo Moto action Supreme Court is ordering the release of all of such people (no doubt some were innocent in the first place), this places great burden on the preventive measures of the police. These are not normal times. 150 people died in Karachi alone. How many more people need to die, human rights are OK for the criminals but who is worrying about the rights of the people needlessly killed? On one hand you blame the gov't for failing to do anything, but who carries the blame for sabotaging the measures to prevent such bombing??

Finally, take the case of the Presidential elections. Despite all the politicking of the opposition, Musharraf went thru the electoral process in the constitutional way. Why then allow the case to drag on. What would happen if the case was not decided by Nov 15 or decided against the President?

There would have been no parliament, no president, thus no one to run the country at all. Would not this create an unprecedented power vacuum? Do you think Wajihuddin, who got only 3 votes should become president? Who would have listened to him. We have to remember that decisions of the Judiciary are only a piece of paper until these are executed. And execution is done by the Executive. Therefore both the arms of the law have to work together for a gov't to function.

When every action of the gov’t is blocked thru judicial order; this is judicial activism of the worst kind and a recipe for ultimate chaos. In any such clash one side had to give. IMO the reinstatement of the CJ went to his head and he thought that he was beyond reproach.

All of this said, what Musharraf did was wrong. Musharraf claims that this was a lesser evil than the inaction and necessary to break the dead lock. Let us wait and see what happens. But IMO Supreme Court did over play their hand and are equally to blame for the ensuing mayhem.

PAKISTAN ARMY HAS LET ITSELF BECOME A BANANA ARMY.IT HAS BECOME A SOURCE OF HATRED FOR THE PEOPLE OF PAKISTAN.
Thank you for your comments, now GET LOST!

Regards
Wilco

I guess Owais and karpov you guys would not like to see this forum banned also :) :)

can forum be banned??

PAKISTAN ARMY HAS LET ITSELF BECOME A BANANA ARMY.IT HAS BECOME A SOURCE OF HATRED FOR THE PEOPLE OF PAKISTAN

Actually, PA have a very diffrent policy to defend themselves. the armies of other nations defend their homeland on their borders and conquer enemy's Territory but PA defend inside their borders against people of pakistan and its institutions.:cheesy:

Niaz - u seem to support the justifications for imposing emergency but dont support the action. u need to make a stand one way or another. at least u are candid about the whole thing.

Thank you for your comments, now GET LOST!

Regards
Wilco

Keep saying this......and your forum wil never have more than a dozen people logged in(which is the usual prctice)i want this forum grwoing like irandefence.net......if u cant answer with logic then do us a favor and stay shut....otherwise people would take it as general idea of how pakistanis are......to all those we are open minded people excep few.....

can forum be banned??

Actually, PA have a very diffrent policy to defend themselves. the armies of other nations defend their homeland on their borders and conquer enemy's Territory but PA defend inside their borders against people of pakistan and its institutions.:cheesy:

Offcourse they have to defend their corruptions.....if PA go back to barracks...all the loot mar and corruption will be exposed.....they arent doing what they are suposed to bcos they cant.....lst in 65, lost in 71, again in kargil and now WOT in NWFP......misreable failure has lead them to decide that they should change the job profile

OH man just lay off

Atleast we have the courage to speak the right thing....unlike some who under fear or some obligations.....speak against Pak....and for those who are destroying Pak.....if u just wann hear one side of story and dunt ve courage to take opinions u dont like....then plz rename the forum as mushydefence.pk:)

Back
Top Bottom