What's new

Chinese President Hu Jintao warns

Lack of basic freedom, iron curtains, not so transparent about country's real situation to the citizens are the key similarities between USSR empire and CPC led China.

The average Chinese is far more free than the average Indian. For 46% of Indians, they do not have the freedom to turn on a light at night with the flick of a switch because they have no electricity. For 93% of Indians, they do not have the freedom to go online, because they cannot afford internet.

China is open for all to see, but the same cannot be said of India. Behind the iron curtain of the shining Delhi airport, there are endless miles of depressing slums.

Finally, no one knows how many starve to death in India, but saying that India is transparent because we know that people starve to deaht is like saying that sub-Saharan African nations are the free-est on earth.

There are many parallels between India and USSR, but even more between India and sub-Saharan africa.

The average Chinese is far more free than the average Indian. For 46% of Indians, they do not have the freedom to turn on a light at night with the flick of a switch because they have no electricity. For 93% of Indians, they do not have the freedom to go online, because they cannot afford internet.

China is open for all to see, but the same cannot be said of India. Behind the iron curtain of the shining Delhi airport, there are endless miles of depressing slums.

Finally, no one knows how many starve to death in India, but saying that India is transparent because we know that people starve to deaht is like saying that sub-Saharan African nations are the free-est on earth.

There are many parallels between India and USSR, but even more between India and sub-Saharan africa.

I can understand your frustration. But there is lots of poverty existed in China too. Your government is hiding it doesn't mean you are richest nation in the universe. And please don't bring India in the discussion as India is not subject of topic. I suggest you to vent your fair and biased frustration on china defence forum ;)

The Chinese have turned their new playground into the Chinese version of stormfront. Now they are trying to do it to this forum.

China campaign cuts entertainment TV by two-thirds

Satellite broadcasters in China have cut entertainment TV by two-thirds following a government campaign, state news agency Xinhua has reported.

An order by the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television (SARFT) to curb ''excessive entertainment'' came into effect on 1 January.

The number of entertainment shows aired during prime time each week has dropped to 38 from 126, said the watchdog body.

The news came as the president warned of the influence of Western culture.

In the piece published in a Communist Party magazine, President Hu Jintao also urged efforts to boost the country's own soft power, said Xinhua.

The order, which was issued in October 2011, limits each of the country's 34 satellite channels to two entertainment programs each week and a maximum of 90 minutes of entertainment content every day from 7:30 to 10 p.m.

Broadcasters are also required to air at least two hours of news programming between 6 a.m. and midnight. They must each broadcast at least two 30-minute news programs between 6 and 11:30 p.m.

The country has the most television viewers in the world - an estimated 95% of its 1.3 billion people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-16405804

Satellite broadcasters in China have cut entertainment TV by two-thirds following a government campaign, state news agency Xinhua has reported.

An order by the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television (SARFT) to curb ''excessive entertainment'' came into effect on 1 January.

The number of entertainment shows aired during prime time each week has dropped to 38 from 126, said the watchdog body.

In the piece published in a Communist Party magazine, President Hu Jintao also urged efforts to boost the country's own soft power, said Xinhua.

The order, which was issued in October 2011, limits each of the country's 34 satellite channels to two entertainment programs each week and a maximum of 90 minutes of entertainment content every day from 7:30 to 10 p.m.

Broadcasters are also required to air at least two hours of news programming between 6 a.m. and midnight. They must each broadcast at least two 30-minute news programs between 6 and 11:30 p.m.

The country has the most television viewers in the world - an estimated 95% of its 1.3 billion people.

BBC News - China campaign cuts entertainment TV by two-thirds
Excellent news.

No doubt this is a threat to communist ideology. But they have to accept the gradual changes taking place. Western influence is unstoppable like how the Chinese turned to a Western style capitalism.

If Hu Jintao is so worried, then WTF are MacDonalds, KFC, Coke, Pepsi and Dominoes doing there? They should all be banned. But the reality is that in this information technology age the tidal wave of change is unstoppable - unless China wants to go the way of North Korea!

Cheers!

i don't know about that.

a quantitative measure of the degree of selling out of a country is by emigration rate of native born citizens. This rate was increasing during Jiang's era, peaked in 2005 when Jiang stepped down, and decreased ever since.
Can you please give a link for these stats? I'm interested.

As I recall, Hu Jintao era started in 2002, just like Xi Jinping era will start in October 2012.

I don't blame Asian Americans. I've heard that a population under stress usually resorts to cultural and social conservatism as a defense mechanism. No value judgements here, just saying they're different.
Well the stress experienced by the population is self-inflicted. Some resort to "cultural and social conservatism" and some develop a massive inferiority complex and kiss up to the mainstream population (*cough* Korean *cough* gambit).

Either way, it's not like Chinese Americans can't learn Mandarin or Cantonese (or improve their reading / writing) and move to Asia, for example Hong Kong or Shanghai. The fact that many of them continue to live in the USA in the face of massive racism, even many of those who don't have a really good career or a close network of family and friends in an Asian community in the USA, demonstrates that inferiority complex, insecurity and lack of confidence does indeed afflict them disproportionately.

And the root of all this is usually the generation born between 1955 and 1970. That generation of people grew up poor and then opened their eyes to mighty Western culture in the 80's (when it was at its peak in the late Cold War e.g. Michael Jackson) and made a life-changing decision to live their senior years and die in a Western country. But they are not willing to wait decades until China as a whole becomes wealthier and stronger, because they don't have enough time to wait, so instead they get greedy and think up all sorts of schemes to establish some kind of connections between themselves and the West including both business and emigration.

This generation of people truly have no pride at all in front of white men, and their attitude taints themselves, their offspring and their Chinese American communities, making Chinese Americans more and more like Dalits. Yes, I blame these people and also their younger generation offspring for not seeing reality and doing something about their miserable lot.

Chinese Americans are a bit shameful in my eyes (unless you have a really good job and life there, which is not the majority). Sorry, but that's the truth.

BBC News - China campaign cuts entertainment TV by two-thirds

here's why "entertainment TV" is so entertaining and popular. check out this game show called "Beauty School".

warning, the following images may not be suitable for children

http://bbs.tiexue.net/post_5660974_1.html

Can you please give a link for these stats? I'm interested.

As I recall, Hu Jintao era started in 2002, just like Xi Jinping era will start in October 2012.

Well the stress experienced by the population is self-inflicted. Some resort to "cultural and social conservatism" and some develop a massive inferiority complex and kiss up to the mainstream population (*cough* Korean *cough* gambit).

Either way, it's not like Chinese Americans can't learn Mandarin or Cantonese (or improve their reading / writing) and move to Asia, for example Hong Kong or Shanghai. The fact that many of them continue to live in the USA in the face of massive racism, even many of those who don't have a really good career or a close network of family and friends in an Asian community in the USA, demonstrates that inferiority complex, insecurity and lack of confidence does indeed afflict them disproportionately.

And the root of all this is usually the generation born between 1955 and 1970. That generation of people grew up poor and then opened their eyes to mighty Western culture in the 80's (when it was at its peak in the late Cold War e.g. Michael Jackson) and made a life-changing decision to live their senior years and die in a Western country. But they are not willing to wait decades until China as a whole becomes wealthier and stronger, because they don't have enough time to wait, so instead they get greedy and think up all sorts of schemes to establish some kind of connections between themselves and the West including both business and emigration.

This generation of people truly have no pride at all in front of white men, and their attitude taints themselves, their offspring and their Chinese American communities, making Chinese Americans more and more like Dalits. Yes, I blame these people and also their younger generation offspring for not seeing reality and doing something about their miserable lot.

Chinese Americans are a bit shameful in my eyes (unless you have a really good job and life there, which is not the majority). Sorry, but that's the truth.

here are the immigration stats for India, Philippines, Mexico and China all displayed on a nice chart. courtesy of google data explorer.

World Bank, World Development Indicators - Google Public Data Explorer

Also, if you search Wikipedia, Chinese illegal immigration has been down by -37% this decade.

The situation you brought up about Chinese Americans isn't really valid, because only 1/6th of all Chinese Americans (Hong Kong, Taiwan included) were not born in the US.

Thank you for your very astute and enlightening observations, however, the thread is about China and not India. It is your leader who feels threatened by the western culture, remember?

Mr. Hu Jintao is right.

I try my best to wear Shalwar Kameez whenever I get the chance.

I never wear blue jeans. In fact I have never worn blue jeans in my entire life.

Cultural imperialism is stronger than military imperialism. If you are culturally imperialized you start to develop an inferiority complex.

I always try my best to use Pakistani media and products.

People like you who say such things are real hypocrites. You write in English, which is not created by Pak media or a product of Pak. You use internet which is not a product of your culture. Wearing blue jeans is not cultural imperialism.. does anyone in your family wear spectacles or contact lenses? is that also western imperialism ?
ask Hu jintao to come dress in chinese dress rather than in his suit and blazer. ask Hu not to travel in foreign cars and then address western cultural imperialism

here are the immigration stats for India, Philippines, Mexico and China all displayed on a nice chart. courtesy of google data explorer.

World Bank, World Development Indicators - Google Public Data Explorer

Also, if you search Wikipedia, Chinese illegal immigration has been down by -37% this decade.

The situation you brought up about Chinese Americans isn't really valid, because only 1/6th of all Chinese Americans (Hong Kong, Taiwan included) were not born in the US.
devil lies in detail. its down because HK has become part of china.

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

indian media is free , we know how many starve. chinese media isnt free so we dont konw how many chinese starve

Adopting some Western culture is fine in my opinion. We just have to maintain our core Chinese Confucian values and beliefs.
We didnt survive as the longest continuous civilisation to be wiped out by superficial and frivolous Western culture.

indian media is free , we know how many starve. chinese media isnt free so we dont konw how many chinese starve

We dont have starving people, but we indeed have poor people.
By the way, india is the worst country on this planet when the story comes to starving people rate and poor people rate.
I hope I did not make your heart burn.~~~

Back
Top Bottom