What's new

Chinese President Hu Jintao warns

Nothing wrong with having some Western influence. But it is important to understand, realize and be proud of one's cultural heritage. Westernization is not modernization.
But modernization usually lead to Westernization. You cannot reject 'blue jeans' unless you know what it is in the first place. You cannot reject 'blue jeans' unless you experience it to some degrees. The solution: Be like North Korea. :lol:

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

claims a buffoon whose "avatar" pic is epitome of western influence in China.... you did not even spare K F-ing C ... keeping knocking off american stuff.. and spare us your great sermons.
Heck, KFC is probably just popular over in China as supposedly "General Tso's Chicken" by Panda Express is making a profit here. :lol:

The Dragon is awakening, let's be more aggressive to reclaim our heritage.

Have you seen the difference here?

China's postage stamp of 2000 (Dragon Year)

20100529-1-3.jpg

China's postage stamp of 2012 (Dragon Year)

101964762.jpg

Do Chinese really believe in Dragons .. BTW what is the IQ of a dragon ?

So mimic KFC logo,Colonel Harland Sanders looks like a chinese make it.

Do Chinese really believe in Dragons .. BTW what is the IQ of a dragon ?
Don't know why and when dragon came into chinese people's minds.It looks horrible but not as the peoples with deep-inset eyes.

But modernization usually lead to Westernization. You cannot reject 'blue jeans' unless you know what it is in the first place. You cannot reject 'blue jeans' unless you experience it to some degrees. The solution: Be like North Korea. :lol:

Be like Japan rather :lol:

They did accept Western technology and education (the first Asian country), but their cultural and religious values are very distinct from Western culture.

I always wear blue jeans all the time during casual non-working days. And of-course a suit during office hours :azn:

Asians or Asian Americans? Totally different people.

In my school, Asian international graduate students are pretty assertive and confident. About 1/3 the student body here is Asian American, and they're completely different.

When we go to the beach, the Asian graduate students (mostly Chinese, some Koreans) all wear shorts and no shirt (males) or bikinis (females). The Asian-Americans that come along often wear much more conservative clothing. They're the ones who still wear jeans and shirts on the beach.

Since you are in the Midwest, you probably see much more Asian Americans than Asians. My guess is that Asian Americans are less assertive than Asians because as a minority, they have been trained, so to speak, to not speak out against the dominant culture for survival reasons, and not be assertive.

Asian students have not had this pressure. In Asia, there's no less interaction between students and between teacher and student than in the US, and sometimes even more. All I know is, in my physics classes that I've taught, that I will ask "are there any additional questions or comments", met with silence, then they will keep getting that 1 problem wrong over and over again and never ask me. In China, if a student gets marked off, they will challenge the teacher, ask them what's wrong, even if the teacher has a no regrade policy. I don't want to talk too much theory, but I think confidence can be measured by, how much are you willing to challenge your teacher?
Yes, Asian Americans are like Dalits. I honestly don't know how Chinese Americans can possibly live in a such a hell hole like that. Unless you are in a community that was near 100% Asian, and all your friends and acquaintances are Asian, you would get racism all the time.

Any overseas Chinese who looks down on China IMO should not be considered Chinese at all -- but only ethnically Chinese-descended. Chinese as a race should be remarkable for our cohesiveness and homogeneity (like Japan) rather than turn into some kind of waste dump that is accepting to everybody and anybody can join -- like a big pool of untouchables banding together for mutual protection.

Ultimately, the problem Hu Jintao describes is in fact his own personal doing. This is extremely ironic. The whole Hu Jintao administration was all about lowering China's natural defenses to "show good will" to the West. He, Wen Jiabao, Dai Bingguo and Yang Jiechi really believed that if China let the West exploit us a little bit, they would feel better about us and stop bullying us.

That was a monumentally stupid mistake. We got exploited and they kept bullying.

The foundations for the massive swing toward ultra-rightist pro-USA administration of Hu Jintao were already formed by the time of the Jiang Zemin administration. Jiang's administration was all about money and greed, albeit in a more "Chinese way." Hu came along, largely kept the "money and greed" system in place, but also replaced any vestiges of Mao-era folk culture with pro-Western ideology straight from the playbook of 6-4 incident students.

Deng Xiaoping was already pretty pro-Western himself, but he choose the wrong person in Hu Jintao, who made China far far too pro-Western in the past 10 years.

I hope Bo Xilai will be elevated to premier so he can purge pro-Western ideology from China once and for all! We can learn a lot for example from Hong Kong. Hong Kongers can learn from and live with a great deal of Western influence and culture but yet hold their heads up high.

Yes, Asian Americans are like Dalits. I honestly don't know how Chinese Americans can possibly live in a such a hell hole like that. Unless you are in a community that was near 100% Asian, and all your friends and acquaintances are Asian, you would get racism all the time.

Any overseas Chinese who looks down on China IMO should not be considered Chinese at all -- but only ethnically Chinese-descended. Chinese as a race should be remarkable for our cohesiveness and homogeneity (like Japan) rather than turn into some kind of waste dump that is accepting to everybody and anybody can join -- like a big pool of untouchables banding together for mutual protection.

Ultimately, the problem Hu Jintao describes is in fact his own personal doing. This is extremely ironic. The whole Hu Jintao administration was all about lowering China's natural defenses to "show good will" to the West. He, Wen Jiabao, Dai Bingguo and Yang Jiechi really believed that if China let the West exploit us a little bit, they would feel better about us and stop bullying us.

That was a monumentally stupid mistake. We got exploited and they kept bullying.

The foundations for the massive swing toward ultra-rightist pro-USA administration of Hu Jintao were already formed by the time of the Jiang Zemin administration. Jiang's administration was all about money and greed, albeit in a more "Chinese way." Hu came along, largely kept the "money and greed" system in place, but also replaced any vestiges of Mao-era folk culture with pro-Western ideology straight from the playbook of 6-4 incident students.

Deng Xiaoping was already pretty pro-Western himself, but he choose the wrong person in Hu Jintao, who made China far far too pro-Western in the past 10 years.

I hope Bo Xilai will be elevated to premier so he can purge pro-Western ideology from China once and for all! We can learn a lot for example from Hong Kong. Hong Kongers can learn from and live with a great deal of Western influence and culture but yet hold their heads up high.

i don't know about that.

a quantitative measure of the degree of selling out of a country is by emigration rate of native born citizens. This rate was increasing during Jiang's era, peaked in 2005 when Jiang stepped down, and decreased ever since.

Hu and Wen are pretty good leaders I think, no comment about Yang and Dai, less said the better.

I don't blame Asian Americans. I've heard that a population under stress usually resorts to cultural and social conservatism as a defense mechanism. No value judgements here, just saying they're different.

claims a buffoon whose "avatar" pic is epitome of western influence in China.... you did not even spare K F-ing C ... keeping knocking off american stuff.. and spare us your great sermons.

KFC is not specifically associated with the US in the minds of most people. To many, it's just "global" food.

Things that are specifically American include Hollywood, pickup trucks, American football, gun ownership, inconsiderate behavior and outdoor camping in motor vehicles.

Honestly, if you wanted to pick a foreign cultural influence on China that's largest, I'd say Japan, not US. There are at least Japanese words still in use in China as part of the "official vocabulary", which is far more than the number of English words in official use. But even Japan's contribution is small compared to our original Chinese culture.

If west culture is bringing free air of freedom and free expressions then yes they are trying to divide China as it could harm dictatorship of Communist regime. I remember USSR used to blame western culture regarding the same.

Cultural warfare indeed. The Chinese sound more and more like the Soviets did when they built a wall to stop their citizens from escaping to the west. Totally controlled the media so that all that was available to the citizens was state propaganda. Banished foreign media, foreign books, thought, ideas, music, foreign products, even poetry, everything not consistent with the totalitarian nonsense they were dishing out. Well we know what happened to the Soviet empire, don't we? If the Chinese culture was so advanced and so wholesome, then it should have been the Chinese culture percolating through the western societies and western leaders raising alarm at rising Chinese cultural invasion. Instead we see the Chinese leaders struggling to prevent western culture from invading China? Soon they will bar their citizens from travelling abroad for fear that they will get infected by 'decadent' western culture and return to infect others.

All this can only lead in one direction.

If west culture is bringing free air of freedom and free expressions then yes they are trying to divide China as it could harm dictatorship of Communist regime. I remember USSR used to blame western culture regarding the same.
We all know american freedom is virtual thing just like in GTA series which was blamed by the american politicians.

CPC is suffering by Aurangzeb complex. They love to exhibit that we are very strong and great nation but inside the fear of becoming next USSR empire is eating them so absence freedom of expression and democracy is totally justified for them.

CPC is suffering by Aurangzeb complex. They love to exhibit that we are very strong and great nation but inside the fear of becoming next USSR empire is eating them so absence freedom of expression and democracy is totally justified for them.

on the contrary. India is limited by its own contradictions while China is not. There are more parallels between the USSR and India than there are between China.

on the contrary. India is limited by its own contradictions while China is not. There are more parallels between the USSR and India than there are between China.

Lack of basic freedom, iron curtains, not so transparent about country's real situation to the citizens are the key similarities between USSR empire and CPC led China.

Cultural warfare indeed. The Chinese sound more and more like the Soviets did when they built a wall to stop their citizens from escaping to the west. Totally controlled the media so that all that was available to the citizens was state propaganda. Banished foreign media, foreign books, thought, ideas, music, foreign products, even poetry, everything not consistent with the totalitarian nonsense they were dishing out. Well we know what happened to the Soviet empire, don't we? If the Chinese culture was so advanced and so wholesome, then it should have been the Chinese culture percolating through the western societies and western leaders raising alarm at rising Chinese cultural invasion. Instead we see the Chinese leaders struggling to prevent western culture from invading China? Soon they will bar their citizens from travelling abroad for fear that they will get infected by 'decadent' western culture and return to infect others.

All this can only lead in one direction.
The cultural invasion is not another proper expression for foreign culture influence.Foreign culture just to stimulate the innovation our own culture and not lessen our national confidence.

Back
Top Bottom