What's new

China to make public Pak N-deal on June 24

I thought it said 650 megawatts each?

On Thursday China said the reactors are for peaceful purposes, and will accept the IAEA's inspection. China joined the NSG in 2004 but has already built one reactor and started a second at Chashma, Punjab. The latest two reactors in the region will generate 650 megawatts each.
China may finance Pakistan reactors - People's Daily Online

thanks for the chinese newspaper :cheers:

Well, since 2006/07 it was always mentioned by Pakistani newspaper that Chashma 3 & 4 will be 325MW each. Now only recently some Pakistani and English newspapers started reporting thats 650 MW each. We had a discussion on this topic before where i was saying each reactor will be 650 MW each and some other members said its poor journalism :confused:

Now after looking at this chinese source i am very much confident that i was right ;) and seriously very glad to hear that.

1300 MW is something really big and indicating that we can successfully move forward for KANUP-2 and 3 (1000MW) in future after the completion of this project.

Thanks a lot for the chinese newspaper :smitten:

awesome news can't wait for reactors should help very much in meeting our energy requirements thank you china !

Pakistan-240-animated-flag-gifs.gif
China-240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

great news...... :tup:

No doubt Great News.:cheers:

☪☪☪☪;950464 said:
Another reason why India needs a permanent seat in the Security Council so she can veto such action. :lol: :lol:

There is no question of veto here. If the members of IAEA and NSG agree you get the deal otherwise no! Thats it.

Lets see how China manage to pass it in IAEA and NSG.

can u shed some light on what is the difference between this agreement and that between us and india......i believe the latter approved of more tech transfer

This is a proof of china as future super power, they have started to impose their own decisions as a global power.. Go China go. :china:

I wonder why you guys had huge mental agony for the Indo US CIVIL NUCLEAR DEAL. and on the same lines, I personally have nothing to worry, as this is also supposed to be a CIVIL NUCLEAR DEAL. Atleast at the face value.

can u shed some light on what is the difference between this agreement and that between us and india......i believe the latter approved of more tech transfer

Let's just put it this way, US is going to get a lot of money out of you and there are certain conditions that you have to abide by. You will have to declare what your nuclear plants are used for and they will be under strict control.

Ours has none of these mentioned conditions and we will not be spending a large amount of money buying equipment from companies that are referred by USA.

Simple. we have a much better deal.

Let's just put it this way, US is going to get a lot of money out of you and there are certain conditions that you have to abide by. You will have to declare what your nuclear plants are used for and they will be under strict control.

Ours has none of these mentioned conditions and we will not be spending a large amount of money buying equipment from companies that are referred by USA.

The last line is just hilarious. Wt kinda deal are you talking about. Just giving two reactors doesn't make a deal. Where's the money part? Call it China's assistance. Also, I cannot see any other country providing you such sweeting deal unlike given to India.

exactly, and this is why india is so concerned about this deal. :taz:

while I dont have any disconnects with this deal, but some of the Pakistani members are taking this in a different direction and comparing it to the Indo US deal and are getting ideas around this deal being sweeter. IMHO, the flaw with that line of thinking is following

This is really not a new deal, because behind the scenes cooperation between China and Pakistan has been going on since decades which actually allowed Pakistan to create its nuclear arsenal. The whole publicity around this is due to the fact that China joined NSG in 2004 and post that it became mandatory for it to not seem like doing behind the doors nuclear trade with Pakistan. So its more of formalization of what Pakistan was anyway getting from China. So from a Pakistan perspective, while its a great step towards usage of civilan nuclear power, it is not opening any new doors for Pakistan that were closed earlier. Unless China does the same for Paksitan in terms of NSG waiver that USA did for India. IMO, that is not on the cards.

The Indo US deal on the other hand allowed India to get into trade with Nations which virtually had India and Pakistan under nuclear sanctions. That deal got the NSG waiver for India which gave India a virutal blank check for civilian nuclear trade with all the members of NSG on a bilateral basis. That is evident from the spate of agreements signed with Russia, Canada, France etc even before the finalization of the deal with the USA.

Hence its foolhardy at best to compare the 2 deals since these deals attained different strategic objectives for india and Pakistan. Exuberance is good, and its a good event for Pakistan, but lets not allow it to get out of hand and take it in the direction of flaming and unnecessary comparisons..

‘US not against Sino-Pak civil nuclear deal’

Defence Minister Chaudhry Ahmed Mukhtar has said that the country’s nuclear assets are safe and the world, including the US, is satisfied with safety and security arrangements made by Pakistan in this regard.

Talking to a delegation of the Burewala Press Club at his office on Tuesday, he said the world was not concerned about Pakistan’s efforts to get civil nuclear technology to overcome deficiency in the power sector.

He said the US had neither tried to stop Pakistan from striking a civil nuclear deal with China nor had raised its voice against the proposed agreement. The minister lauded the efforts of the armed forces in the war against terrorism.

“We are capable of protecting our territories. Pakistan wants a peaceful resolution of all disputes with India. India’s willingness to resume the dialogue is a step in the right direction,” he added.

‘US not against Sino-Pak civil nuclear deal’

Let me go through some of the facts that allowed me to state that Pakistan got a better deal than India. Here is an article from Rediff that outlines some of the points that I made earlier.

Pakistan was seeking equal treatment as India , but it may have turned out to be more equal in the bargain, says T P Sreenivasan.

.......The details of the Pakistan-China deal are far from clear, but the stringent conditions India has accepted in its deal with the US seem to be absent in the instant case. Pakistan has neither agreed to throw open its nuclear reactors to IAEA inspections, nor has reached any agreement with the IAEA on safeguards, including the Additional Protocol, permitting intrusive inspections, which India has accepted.

..........Pakistan was seeking equal treatment as India, but it may have turned out to be more equal in the bargain.

Pakistan gets nuclear deal by proxy: Rediff.com India News

Here is another article that outlines the pros and cons of the deal involved, it is very clear in stating that measures have to be taken as this deal is very expensive and could bound India by the rules set by USA.

Pros and Cons of Indo-US Nuclear deal | General | Articles contributed by users | www.karmayog.org

Similarly this article explains the reason why this deal was concluded. I quote some of the myths debunked in this article.

Myth #6: India’s strategic position entitles it to unique treatment.

Fact: Of the three countries that have refused to sign the NPT – India, Israel and Pakistan – India is the least important strategically to the United States. Pakistan is essential to ongoing U.S. military and political efforts in Afghanistan and to the U.S. campaign against Al Qaeda. Pakistan is also a leading power in the Muslim world, a world with which the United States needs better relations. Israel has always been a close U.S. ally, and is located in a region of critical importance to U.S. foreign policy interests. In any competition for strategic favor from the United States, India finishes a distant third.

Myth #10: India has an exemplary nonproliferation record and is a reliable trading partner.

Fact: India has a long record of developing both nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles under the guise of peaceful nuclear and space cooperation. India tested its first nuclear weapon in 1974 by diverting plutonium made with nuclear imports from the United States and Canada that were supplied for peaceful purposes. In the 1980's, India had a deliberate policy of defeating international controls by smuggling heavy water from the USSR, China and Norway, which allowed India to use its reactors to make plutonium for bombs. In a similar fashion, India built its largest nuclear-capable missile, the Agni, by importing from NASA the design of an American space launcher, again for ostensibly peaceful purposes. Even today, Indian missile and nuclear sites continue to import sensitive American equipment in violation of U.S. law.

Myth #14: The deal is not primarily about making money; it is about creating a new U.S. strategic relationship in south Asia.

Fact: The deal is primarily about making money. The main effect of the deal will be to pardon India – to remove it as a violator of international norms. After such a change in status, there will be no impediment to U.S. arms sales. This is where the real money is, not in nuclear reactors. U.S. exporters have mentioned selling as much as $1.4 billion worth of Boeing airliners, hundreds of F-16 or F/A-18 fighter jets, as well as maritime surveillance planes, advanced radar, helicopters, missile defense and other equipment. The Russian press has even complained that the nuclear deal is a ploy to squeeze Russia out of the Indian arms market.

http://www.wisconsinproject.org/countries/india/Seventeen_Myths.htm

Let me go through some of the facts that allowed me to state that Pakistan got a better deal than India. Here is an article from Rediff that outlines some of the points that I made earlier.

Pakistan gets nuclear deal by proxy: Rediff.com India News

Here is another article that outlines the pros and cons of the deal involved, it is very clear in stating that measures have to be taken as this deal is very expensive and could bound India by the rules set by USA.

Pros and Cons of Indo-US Nuclear deal | General | Articles contributed by users | www.karmayog.org

Similarly this article explains the reason why this deal was concluded. I quote some of the myths debunked in this article.

Seventeen myths about the Indian nuclear deal

thank you sir for your explanation of the exact situation.
:cheers:

stating that indo-us deal was just a commercial venture for u.s. is wrong.the deal provides india with enrichment tech which pakistan doesnt have.morever it gives india a status of responsible nuclear powerWhat suprises me is that most of the members here are forgetting that this deal will give us chance of doing business with other major nuclear players.....with less or none strings attached.

Back
Top Bottom