What's new

China confirms takeover of Gwadar port: Report

Oh, you forgot to sing "Deeper than the deepest oceans, Higher than the highest mountains!" too :P

Just keep in mind that there is no such thing as "frandshipp" in international geopolitics, only on Facebook. National interests prevail above all else.

Actually, that's exactly what he was saying -- in a rather more poetic way.

Chinese wouldn't have a few years plan, current Govt. is NOT going to be there for ever.
It actually shows that Chinese are optimistic about Pakistan's future & future Governments.

2ndly, for such strategic co-operations, it's NOT just Govt.,, ARMY is definitely involved to certain level, so Chinese can put their trust in Army, even if current Govt. is incompetent.

No, the history of civilian governance in Pakistan is horrible.

The agreement is between the civilian govt. of China and the civilian govt. of Pakistan. It is the responsibility of Pakistan's civilian government to deliver on its commitments. The army can't keep bailing the corrupt civilians out of their mess every time.

One day they will give Islamabad, karachi to China to run it. At last it will be called Pakistani Republic of China. :cheesy:

If a referendum were held, you would be surprised how many Pakistanis would chose to let China run things instead of the entrenched feudals.

Pakistan needs a combination of CCP and Stalin. The former to whip the country in shape and bring coordinated discipline to the masses, and the latter to string up all the feudals and extremists in jail and give the country a second, true, "Independence".

As long as it is not detrimental to China, that status will stay.
Where that condition changes, so will the depth of that alliance.

Its national interest that matters.. China wants more friends here in Asia as US is turning their eye into Asia.

It sucks to say it, but perhaps security arrangements should be heavily supervised by the Chinese too?

Exactly HOW can Gwadar play that role without good connections across Afghanistan and/or the HinduKush mountains? The Middle East is not one of China's larger markets for its goods, and transporting energy supplies in the large quantities needed by China across hundreds of miles of Pakistani territory reliably, cost-effectively and safely is easier said than done.

Almost every country has a "China Mall" concept here in the GCC - UAE has two.

The Chinese goods are everywhere now and people have come to accept them too. So its not insignificant. Plus they want to import oil from there at some point. Plus they want naval presence there at some point.

It is from OUR persective where we need good connections through Afghanistan. China can reach the CAS from other means.

Almost every country has a "China Mall" concept here in the GCC - UAE has two.

The Chinese goods are everywhere now and people have come to accept them too. So its not insignificant. Plus they want to import oil from there at some point. Plus they want naval presence there at some point.

It is from OUR persective where we need good connections through Afghanistan. China can reach the CAS from other means.

China has much better options for both trade and oil besides Gwadar, and that will likely remain the case. Hence, the value of the port is nowhere near as is being made out to be for countries other than Pakistan. That is my point.

There is nothing to be afraid of Gwadar just keeping an eye on that. :woot:

If it becomes operational , some countries should forget about blockading Chinese supplies forever :azn:

One day they will give Islamabad, karachi to China to run it. At last it will be called Pakistani Republic of China. :cheesy:
I hope one day you will finally get a life and stop trolling though I know for certain both days will never come :lol:

Sensational use of words........... Take over. hmmmmmm

China take over hahaha...................

These idiots are making a mountain out of a molehill nothing much .

I am still wondering that Pakistan currently being play ground of terrorists and you-know-who hence safety and security from Chinese rails from Karakoram to Gwadar will be a toughest job. I remember when India asked Pakistan for security if IPI oil pipeline, Pakistan refused to do so.

BTW can any PAK member clarify whether PAK will have any financial benefits from this. Will they get profit from the port transactions or will all those be taken by china? And would the profit margin for PAK been greater if a local company of GOP took over the operations of the port?

China is the developer and operator of the port for the next 35 years. I think there's a minority shareholder also and any land that the Pakistani Government willing to contribute will count as stakeholder. China will put up billions of dollars the next few years so it'll unlikely to see profits for a while but for the meantime Pakistan is greatly benefited in terms of employments and infrastructures.

Because of the existence facility many private operators also come in to open their operations.
Pakistan companies can use this port for their exports and imports. For Pakistan the benefits are huge in terms of employments and tax revenues.

If China and Pakistan can build a direct road and rail link from western part of China to the port then the sky is the limited for the port because the whole interior of Pakistan and western China can utilize this port for their import and export businesses.

China is the developer and operator of the port for the next 35 years. I think there's a minority shareholder also and any land that the Pakistani Government willing to contribute will count as stakeholder. China will put up billions of dollars the next few years so it'll unlikely to see profits for a while but for the meantime Pakistan is greatly benefited in terms of employments and infrastructures.

Because of the existence facility many private operators also come in to open their operations.
Pakistan companies can use this port for their exports and imports. For Pakistan the benefits are huge in terms of employments and tax revenues.

If China and Pakistan can build a direct road and rail link from western part of China to the port then the sky is the limited for the port because the whole interior of Pakistan and western China can utilize this port for their import and export businesses.

China will likely NOT be spending "billions" of dollars on this non-viable project given its poor Return on Investment. China may be a loyal friend, but it is not stupid.

China will likely NOT be spending "billions" of dollars on this non-viable project given its poor Return on Investment. China may be a loyal friend, but it is not stupid.

So stupid China has spent hundreds of millions of dollars to take over port operations from a company which was deliberately not making any progress. And why was this company not making any progress - because probably it was making more money by not doing anything, and some one was paying more for the port to remain non-operational.

And look at stupid China, she plunged right into it to try and operationalize a port which does not have any strategic value. O China O China, such stupid investment.

Dumb-head, when this becomes a deep water operational port in future, it will give all Gulf region ports a run for their money. Not only will it become one of the biggest container terminal of the this strategic trading zone, because of its centrality for the Gulf, for China, for trade in and out of Central Asian countries and for Afghanistan. And do I need to mention the linkage it will provide to one of the biggest energy corridors in this part of the world.

It will serve American and Western linkages to Afghanistan and Central Asia and link China to the strategic zones in IOR, and least of all, will enable Russia, through Central Asia, access to warm waters.

O stupid China, what have you done.

There are no short cuts to the ocean from China's western provinces and a rail link can collect transit fees from the three 'stan' nations further west so costs diminishes. A rail link also provides Pakistan companies a route to what will be the biggest consumer market in the world in the future.

I think if China's economy continues to grow, albeit at a slower pace, and can get a good deal from Pakistan Government (a base?) I wouldn't surprised she'll lay out the money first. After all she has a big surplus of forex earning next to nothing and lending some to a friend benefits more ways than one. Unlike private companies, China's been known to take very long views.

There are no short cuts to the ocean from China's western provinces and a rail link can collect transit fees from the three 'stan' nations further west so costs diminishes. A rail link also provides Pakistan companies a route to what will be the biggest consumer market in the world in the future.

I think if China's economy continues to grow, albeit at a slower pace, and can get a good deal from Pakistan Government (a base?) I wouldn't surprised she'll lay out the money first. After all she has a big surplus of forex earning next to nothing and lending some to a friend benefits more ways than one. Unlike private companies, China's been known to take very long views.

I agree.

And if Afghanistan does not stabilize or the Americans do not allow, the Central Asian countries can by pass Afghanistan and link IOR through China. The route and the potential is there for all to see.

................. when this becomes a deep water operational port in future, it will give all Gulf region ports a run for their money. Not only will it become one of the biggest container terminal of the this strategic trading zone, because of its centrality for the Gulf, for China, for trade in and out of Central Asian countries and for Afghanistan. And do I need to mention the linkage it will provide to one of the biggest energy corridors in this part of the world.

I thought we were having a serious discussion, but if you insist on comedy, then so be it.

Mian, kuch ker kay dikhaao, phir bolna. Until then, these are all pipedreams without a hope of success.

Like I said, China is not stupid. It will not do any of what you are dreaming of, unless it gets viable returns for its investment.

Until then, you may call me names, but it will not change the reality.

Erm, what rail link? Heck, there is not even a properly engineered all-season road link in existence.

Back
Top Bottom