What's new

Bangladesh to be the world’s largest prison?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have known many Indians working in high level positions in Bangladesh. Most of them are skilled and legal. All the staff of GMG Airlines for example are Indians :confused: Even the country manager for IATA is an Indian (a very high paying post).

The Indians are concerned about illegal immigration of Bangladeshis to India. They didn't build a damn fence for no reason! It is possible and feasible considering the immigration habits of Bangladeshis and the economic realities in much of Bangladesh. I even heard of reports of Bangladeshis going to Pakistan on temporary visas, and never come back to Bangladesh. I have even known many Bangladeshis illegally living and working in Japan during my time in Tokyo. These are just an examples from personal my experiences.

Now the question is: Why do Bangladeshis have the tendency and try so hard to get out of their country in search for something better? Both legally and illegally?
The answer simple and partly answered in the question. You see, other than Dhaka, much of Bangladesh's economic growth are not evenly distributed throughout the entire country. Much of that economic growth is centered in Dhaka only. The regions close to the Indian border have very little development. In fact, virtually no development. This is another reason why Dhaka is so crowded and congested, that it'll become uninhabitable at some point in the future. I guarantee it!

Some people in Bangladesh came up with the idea of free entry for both Indians and Bangladeshis between the Indo-Bangla border (i.e: no need for visa or passport). But this is very risky considering the volatile nature of the region and the present festering issues Bangladesh faces. It would compromise the security of both nations. We are not USA, Canada or EU or something. Believe me, us desis can truly be a rotten bunch.

There is little or no reporting of this issue in Bangladeshi media. That is why most Bangladeshis are oblivious to the matter. Matters such as economic decentralization, population control and other important issues are falling on deaf ears in Bangladeshi politics and much of society. Its all about scoring points in the end.

You make it sound as if it is only Bangladeshis who do this. Many Indians do this but other countries do not protest loudly so as not to annoy New Delhi. There are 500 000 illegal Indians in Bangladesh. The Indians claim about millions of illegal Bangladeshis in India is crap. It is merely a smokescreen to hide their strategic agenda of fencing in BD and using it as a transit point to the North East and to supply its military there against China. In case of war with China a fenced in Bangladesh is safer for India. This has nothing to do with illegal immigration. You military people are not to bright it seems.

OK. Mr citizen of super-rich India that has a life expectancy of 64 years as opposed to 67 years in BD. Some of you Indians are beyond pathetic.

Btw, there was a report posted a while back that 500,000 Indians are living in BD. Why would a mega-rich state like India have its citizens go to BD when it is a mega-prosperous paradise?

Think about these things before you post any more nonsense.

Blah......Blah but it doesn't going to change the fact that there are Bangladeshis (which I am 99% sure that are illegals) working in my city doing low grade jobs for low pay. If there are illegal Indians working in your country (which I highly doubt), please feel free to send them home.

You make it sound as if it is only Bangladeshis who do this. Many Indians do this but other countries do not protest loudly so as not to annoy New Delhi.
Illegal immigration is a common issue everywhere in the world. The topic is about Bangladeshis illegally (at least apparently) entering Indian territory. Every country has a right to protect itself from illegal immigration. And sure, there are foreigners illegally living in Bangladesh. But not much enforcement there.

There are 500 000 illegal Indians in Bangladesh.
Sources?

The Indians claim about millions of illegal Bangladeshis in India is crap. It is merely a smokescreen to hide their strategic agenda of fencing in BD and using it as a transit point to the North East and to supply its military there against China. In case of war with China a fenced in Bangladesh is safer for India. This has nothing to do with illegal immigration. You military people are not to bright it seems.

Its possible as far as China goes. You do know that the Chinese are building a deep sea port, right?
China keen to help build deep-sea port

ap-i-ind-india-bangladesh-border-2009-2-18-10-3-35.jpg

Okay, that fence seems very...warlike :confused:

In case of a war, Chinese troops will take time to reach here considering the geographical constraints. No matter what, we must avoid taking sides.

We don't have anything to bargain with the Indians or the Chinese to begin with anyway.

I have known many Indians working in high level positions in Bangladesh. Most of them are skilled and legal. All the staff of GMG Airlines for example are Indians :confused: Even the country manager for IATA is an Indian (a very high paying post).

The Indians are concerned about illegal immigration of Bangladeshis to India. They didn't build a damn fence for no reason! It is possible and feasible considering the immigration habits of Bangladeshis and the economic realities in much of Bangladesh. I even heard of reports of Bangladeshis going to Pakistan on temporary visas, and never come back to Bangladesh. I have even known many Bangladeshis illegally living and working in Japan during my time in Tokyo. These are just an examples from personal my experiences.

Now the question is: Why do Bangladeshis have the tendency and try so hard to get out of their country in search for something better? Both legally and illegally?
The answer simple and partly answered in the question. You see, other than Dhaka, much of Bangladesh's economic growth are not evenly distributed throughout the entire country. Much of that economic growth is centered in Dhaka only. The regions close to the Indian border have very little development. In fact, virtually no development. This is another reason why Dhaka is so crowded and congested, that it'll become uninhabitable at some point in the future. I guarantee it!

Some people in Bangladesh came up with the idea of free entry for both Indians and Bangladeshis between the Indo-Bangla border (i.e: no need for visa or passport). But this is very risky considering the volatile nature of the region and the present festering issues Bangladesh faces. It would compromise the security of both nations. We are not USA, Canada or EU or something. Believe me, us desis can truly be a rotten bunch.

There is little or no reporting of this issue in Bangladeshi media. That is why most Bangladeshis are oblivious to the matter. Matters such as economic decentralization, population control and other important issues are falling on deaf ears in Bangladeshi politics and much of society. Its all about scoring points in the end.

You have made very sensible points in your post. The present generation of Bangladeshis have become very aspirational, and justifiably so. However the opportunities available to them, especially in the rural areas (outside Dhaka and to a far lesser extent, Chittagong) are negligible; so they have to seek opportunities outside.

The facts that you have described in the East (i.e. Japan) and S.E. Asia (most notably in Malaysia). I can vouch for that on the basis of personal experience. In one experience, my then a principals in Malaysia a J.V. between an European and Japanese entity, ran into contracted labor (from BD)disturbances. Since I can understand Bengali, I got roped to attempt to decipher the issue (though it was not my turf). That experience gave me some insight into how badly disorganised that sector is and how rampant illegal practices are. I have encountered BD nationals in Karachi (obvious I/Is) and in KSA and GCC countries (legal work-force).

Illegal immigration by Bangladeshi nationals is visible everywhere (just to a lesser or greater extent). This is simply because the GoBD has not formed a clear-cut policy regarding man-power export. The GoBD has to view man-power as an "exportable product". And therefore create the basis to create a"product", add value to that "product", position that "product", market and support that "product".

If GoBD works towards that end, it will be good for all concerned; and not least of all, for the citizens of Bangladesh.

But Regent Air is currently the best performing private airline in Bangladesh. Its new and small, but has experienced great growth and offers great service - no delays. Management are all Bangladeshis :)

That may be true, but for me GMG is the best private airline in bangladesh(speaking from my experience). Plus they are making profits and they have lots of destinations. Hope regent air (which i think is serving domestic flights only) can emulate GMG

You make it sound as if it is only Bangladeshis who do this. Many Indians do this but other countries do not protest loudly so as not to annoy New Delhi. There are 500 000 illegal Indians in Bangladesh. The Indians claim about millions of illegal Bangladeshis in India is crap. It is merely a smokescreen to hide their strategic agenda of fencing in BD and using it as a transit point to the North East and to supply its military there against China. In case of war with China a fenced in Bangladesh is safer for India. This has nothing to do with illegal immigration. You military people are not to bright it seems.

Munshi maharaj,

You are right that there are enough of illegal immigrants from India. They go to pastures that are real rewarding as per their experience in India, like US, UK, Europe and so on.

Now about illegal Indians in Bangladesh is rather new to me. It would be delightful to see the statistics and the strata of society the illegals are from and if possible the reasons for illegal immigrate to Bangladesh. Such a statistics will give an insight of what is wrong in India and if India can remedy it and if not, why not.

I assure you that the illegals from Bangladesh is not a smokescreen. It is real. The greedy in India are making capital over such illegals and, as I see it, it is most unfair. But then, the same happens in England and the US, but that is no excuse.

As far as fencing is concerned, I am afraid it is no some sinister strategy. It is to stop illegal immigration and smuggling. Pakistan is also doing the same along their Western border. We are fortunate that there is no minefield as is along the Indo Pak Line of Control done by both sides! I thank God for small mercies.

I will confess that I have not understood your statement -
It is merely a smokescreen to hide their strategic agenda of fencing in BD and using it as a transit point to the North East and to supply its military there against China.

How does a fence act as a transit point to the NE to supply the military against China?

Does India have to move through Bangladesh to connect to the NE of India?

I must confess that I am surprised that an educated man like you, a barrister as you claim, has not seen a map to realise how the railways in India operate. It regrettably downgrading the value of your education!

And you have been called to the Bar as you claim!

Blah......Blah but it doesn't going to change the fact that there are Bangladeshis (which I am 99% sure that are illegals) working in my city doing low grade jobs for low pay. If there are illegal Indians working in your country (which I highly doubt), please feel free to send them home.

Provide proof and then we wil talk further. Your own words mean nothing.

I am tired of people from a country that has a life expectancy of 64 years claming that people from another country that live 3 years longer on average are itching to move across the border for a better life.

New Age - 5 lakh Indians work illegally (August 1, 2007)

http://www.defence.pk/forums/india-defence/6572-5-lakh-indians-work-illegally.html

No matter what, we must avoid taking sides

If we give Indians transit do you think we will have a choice. In the event of war we would have to either suspend transit which would force India to attack us or we would continue to allow transit and get bombed by the Chinese. I would put my money on the Chinese winning the war.

Proof?

Aha!

India behind Pakistan and Bangladesh, on human development indices: UN Report |Times of Bombay

Excerpt:

"According to the report, life expectancy at birth in India is 64.4 years, while in Pakistan it is 67.2 years. In Bangladesh, life expectancy is 66.9 years"

To the nearest year, it is 64 in India and 67 in Bangladesh. This was from the end of last year and it is UN figures.

BD people in some ways are better off than Indians. Nowhere in BD do we have sub-saharan levels of poverty like in the poorer states of India.

I am tired of people from a country that has a life expectancy of 64 years claming that people from another country that live 3 years longer on average are itching to move across the border for a better life.

Here you go:

Migrants come under Kerala Police scanner
June 19, 2011 10:31:50 PM

VR Jayaraj | Kochi

With indications that Maoists and Islamist organisations have teamed up to destabilise the system by flooding Kerala with counterfeit currency, the State Police is keeping a close watch on migrants from Naxalite-infested States like West Bengal, Orissa, Bihar and Jharkhand. The focus is on Bengalis after the recent arrest of Rub’ul, a native of Murshidabad, for distributing counterfeit currency in Aluva, off Kochi.

The Intelligence wing of the Kerala Police has learned that the counterfeit money brought by Rub’ul had come from Bangladesh through Kolkata. That Murshidabad is a Maoist-infested area has strengthened the police’s suspicion that a network of Maoists and Bangladesh-based extremists has extended its tentacles to Kerala, seen by terror elements as a relatively safe heaven.

Police say that Rub’ul alone could have distributed counterfeit notes to the tune of Rs 500,000 in the Kaladi, Perumbavoor and Aluva areas of Ernakulam district. They are checking the details of the bank accounts and ATM-based transactions of migrants from West Bengal in the light of the new revelations. They think that Rub’ul could have carried out counterfeit currency transactions through several banks in the Aluva area.

Police is of the opinion that the fake currency seized from Aluva had been manufactured in Pakistan, as in the case of the notes seized from Kochi and Kozhikode airports earlier. The money was first sent to Bangladesh from Pakistan and from there to Murshidabad and other places in West Bengal using infiltrators as couriers and then forwarded to Kerala from Murshidabad, said a police official.

Police are probing Rub’ul’s Maoist or Islamist connections, saying he could actually be from Bangladesh. Officials informally admit that there could be hundreds of Bangladeshis working in Kerala posing as Bengali migrant workers. “They speak the same language, and if there is some difference we can’t know that. It is practically impossible to question each one of them because there are thousands of Bengalis working in Kerala,” an official said.

The State police have handed over details of their findings on the international counterfeit currency to the National Investigation Agency (NIA). The NIA has details of the recent hauls of counterfeit notes at the Kochi and Kozhikode airports. The economic offences wing of the Kerala Police’s Crime Branch is also looking into the matter.

The police have credible evidence to believe that Maoists in the Red Corridor are making Kerala one of their bases for planning operations, and that Maoists from these areas are on a weapons-shopping spree and collecting explosive materials in Kerala.

Recent reports said two men from the Communist Party of Philippines had held training camps for Maoists in Kerala’s jungles.

Migrant workers in the State, particularly in the central Kerala areas of Ernakulam and Thrissur districts, had come under police scanner after Maoist leader Mallaraja Reddy’s arrest from Angamaly three years ago. There are clear indications that erstwhile Naxalites, who had become inactive after the 1980s, could be helping the Maoists. Quite recently, a dozen hardcore Maoists had reportedly entered Kerala after escaping an encounter with the Karnataka Police.

The Pioneer :: Home : >> Migrants come under Kerala Police scanner

Also if BD is so good, why are you sitting in UK. Return to your "Sonar Bangla".

How does a fence act as a transit point to the NE to supply the military against China?

Does India have to move through Bangladesh to connect to the NE of India?

I must confess that I am surprised that an educated man like you, a barrister as you claim, has not seen a map to realise how the railways in India operate. It regrettably downgrading the value of your education!

And you have been called to the Bar as you claim!

At present India has to get through the Shilguri pass or Chicken Neck to supply its troops in the North East. This pass is only 20 Km in width so in the case of war it would not take long for China to block that pass. If India has transit through Bangladesh this would be a good alternative but would require a very reluctant Bangladesh to side with India in a war with China. Most Bangladeshis would oppose such a move so the fencing policy. If Bangladesh were to suspend transit during a war then India would most likely have to attack Bangladesh and this would be much easier to achieve if the country is fenced in and so Bangladesh hostility would not spread elsewhere in the North East which has a sizable Muslim population. :coffee:

New Age - 5 lakh Indians work illegally (August 1, 2007)

http://www.defence.pk/forums/india-defence/6572-5-lakh-indians-work-illegally.html

Your new age link does not open!

That much for the credibilty of the source that they cannot maintain an archive/cached.

Fly by night?

If we give Indians transit do you think we will have a choice. In the event of war we would have to either suspend transit which would force India to attack us or we would continue to allow transit and get bombed by the Chinese. I would put my money on the Chinese winning the war.

Are you aware of what clauses are put in transit treaties?

Daydream in not one!

The parties can get out of the treaty for any reason that is not in the interest of the State.

Further, to take on China, one does not require transit through Bangladesh.

Here you go:

Migrants come under Kerala Police scanner
June 19, 2011 10:31:50 PM

VR Jayaraj | Kochi

With indications that Maoists and Islamist organisations have teamed up to destabilise the system by flooding Kerala with counterfeit currency, the State Police is keeping a close watch on migrants from Naxalite-infested States like West Bengal, Orissa, Bihar and Jharkhand. The focus is on Bengalis after the recent arrest of Rub’ul, a native of Murshidabad, for distributing counterfeit currency in Aluva, off Kochi.

The Intelligence wing of the Kerala Police has learned that the counterfeit money brought by Rub’ul had come from Bangladesh through Kolkata. That Murshidabad is a Maoist-infested area has strengthened the police’s suspicion that a network of Maoists and Bangladesh-based extremists has extended its tentacles to Kerala, seen by terror elements as a relatively safe heaven.

Police say that Rub’ul alone could have distributed counterfeit notes to the tune of Rs 500,000 in the Kaladi, Perumbavoor and Aluva areas of Ernakulam district. They are checking the details of the bank accounts and ATM-based transactions of migrants from West Bengal in the light of the new revelations. They think that Rub’ul could have carried out counterfeit currency transactions through several banks in the Aluva area.

Police is of the opinion that the fake currency seized from Aluva had been manufactured in Pakistan, as in the case of the notes seized from Kochi and Kozhikode airports earlier. The money was first sent to Bangladesh from Pakistan and from there to Murshidabad and other places in West Bengal using infiltrators as couriers and then forwarded to Kerala from Murshidabad, said a police official.

Police are probing Rub’ul’s Maoist or Islamist connections, saying he could actually be from Bangladesh. Officials informally admit that there could be hundreds of Bangladeshis working in Kerala posing as Bengali migrant workers. “They speak the same language, and if there is some difference we can’t know that. It is practically impossible to question each one of them because there are thousands of Bengalis working in Kerala,” an official said.The State police have handed over details of their findings on the international counterfeit currency to the National Investigation Agency (NIA). The NIA has details of the recent hauls of counterfeit notes at the Kochi and Kozhikode airports. The economic offences wing of the Kerala Police’s Crime Branch is also looking into the matter.

The police have credible evidence to believe that Maoists in the Red Corridor are making Kerala one of their bases for planning operations, and that Maoists from these areas are on a weapons-shopping spree and collecting explosive materials in Kerala.

Recent reports said two men from the Communist Party of Philippines had held training camps for Maoists in Kerala’s jungles.

Migrant workers in the State, particularly in the central Kerala areas of Ernakulam and Thrissur districts, had come under police scanner after Maoist leader Mallaraja Reddy’s arrest from Angamaly three years ago. There are clear indications that erstwhile Naxalites, who had become inactive after the 1980s, could be helping the Maoists. Quite recently, a dozen hardcore Maoists had reportedly entered Kerala after escaping an encounter with the Karnataka Police.

The Pioneer :: Home : >> Migrants come under Kerala Police scanner

Also if BD is so good, why are you sitting in UK. Return to your "Sonar Bangla".

Since when did they speak Benglai in Kerala?

Report sounds bullshit to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom