What's new

Analysis: Is Israel building up for an offensive against Gaza?

Palestinians have no serious deterrent to prevent the invaders from killing them again and again.

Another problem is that many Arab countries have abandoned the Palestinian cause, in favour of better relations with Israel and America. For example, a pro-military Egyptian journalist recently said "We should attack Hamas until they kiss our shoes".

For Israel, the timing and situation is excellent to launch a final assault on Hamas.

Another problem is that many Arab countries have abandoned the Palestinian cause, in favour of better relations with Israel and America. For example, a pro-military Egyptian journalist recently said "We should attack Hamas until they kiss our shoes".

Yeah, because they value their National interests. Do you know what "National Interest" is?

From the Islamic point of view, Israel has every right to build settlements, the concept of "it was ours" holds no meaning, when Arab tribesmen started invading empires in the dawn of Islam, do you think they cared about what is yours and what is theirs? They did it because they had the strength.

There are god knows how many Muslim countries out there, and they owe their existence to Israel.

Last edited:
Do you know what "National Interest" is?
Ah, of course. That would be: let the US build military bases on your soil, de-industrialize your economy and open it up for foreign investors, halt the nuclear program, accept Israel as the sole ME power.

@Hazzy997 I honestly believe one state is the only solution now. I doubt Israel will launch another operation though what with the horrible press they got last time and with Kerry making so many trips in the region.

I agree...binational state. :)

It does seem there is something being planned. Not just because of the Israeli rhetoric, but also the developments on the ground. Hamas is getting attacked on two fronts now.
Israel will probably wait til Hamas is severely weakened.

I think Israel is betting on Hamas to get very weak politically and economically. I dont believe Hamas will get politicaly weaker, but economically it has taken a very hard blow, due to the closing of Sinai tunnels.
I think we will see a new conflict this year. :/

Btw @Hazzy997 have you tried to send pm message? If so, I can no longer view or start a new conversation, after the ban.

They took the feature away. :(

So we need another way to communicate. :)

My opinion is well known to Hazzy997. The Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank must accept the right to exist of Israel within their pre-1967 borders. Otherwise, the Palestinian non-Jewish people will have zero peace. No other outside power or force will make the Jews cede their pre-1967 territory. Post-1967 territory is negotiable but only if pre-1967 territory is first, and, undeniably, accepted.

So a two state solution along 1967 borders? Is that even on the table? Israel is opposed to it.

Gaza official: Israel 'killed 6 Palestinians, injured 41' in January | Maan News Agency

GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Israeli forces killed six Palestinians and injured 41 in attacks on Gaza in January, a ministry official said Saturday.

Ashraf al-Qidra, spokesman for Gaza's Ministry of Health, said in a statement that "the Israeli occupation intensified airstrikes against unarmed civilians, particularly in the eastern Gaza Strip" in January.

The statement pointed out that a large number of the injured were children.

The health sector in the Strip has been suffering a severe shortage in medicines and medical equipment, al-Qidra added.

Over the past month, tensions have risen in and around Gaza after more than a year of relative calm following Israel's war on the coastal territory in November 2012 which killed over 170 people, mainly civilians, and injured thousands.

Israeli army figures show nine rockets have struck Israeli territory since Jan. 1, and another five were intercepted by the Iron Dome anti-missile system.

None of the rockets caused injuries.

Israeli airstrikes this year on targets in Gaza have injured dozens of people......................

Let's hope Israel respects their responsibility of the cease fire agreement too. Or are they immune from it?

Unless Israel escalates it's attacks against the residents of Gaza there will be no rockets fired in retaliation.
You know that often rockets fly for no reason.

Btw, building materials are paid for by international organizations or other sources and not by Israel. Israel however opens the crossing whenever they feel like it to allow materials into the a Strip.
Why all materials come from Israeli side not Egypt? BTW, Palestinian Authority has billions debt to Israel in electricity and I doubt it will be ever repayed.

I agree...binational state. :)
So a two state solution along 1967 borders? Is that even on the table? Israel is opposed to it.

I do not mean to say, or believe, that Israel will accept precisely the 1967 borders as its own border. Certainly it will not give up Jerusalem and many of the largest settlements. However, I do believe that IF the Palestinians, including the HAMAS and pro-HAMAS factions, would irrevocably accept the existence of Israel on the pre-1967 borders, then a two state solution could be negotiated, albeit with additional give-ups by the Palestinians. World opinion would force the Israelis to accept some Palestinian demands.

If that is not acceptable, then a one-state, bi-nationality solution should be pursued. In this second case, I think the Palestinians would have to agree to accept the Israeli political system and the name Israel. They would have to negotiate a federal system (new constitution for the "new" bi-national Israel) wherein, at the beginning, parts of the new State of Israel would be majority non-Jewish and have local autonomy within the confines of the one-state's new constitution. For the one-state's constitution I would begin with the USA constitution (with its Bill of Rights and other amendments) and modify it in light of local cultural factors and the development of new and successful political concepts since 1789. I would envision that this merging of the two "nations" would take 10 years, but it would , hopefully, be ten years in which all internal and external energies and resources could be devoted to building the new bi-national nation.

As for Israel mounting a major combat operation against Gaza, I think it is highly unlikely in view of the effort to stop Iran's nuclear program. Israel would want to save any and all international sympathy and support for a strike against Iran and the ensuing fallout that would produce. At this point, Gaza rockets are "small potatoes" along side the existential threat of an Iran which is strengthening in terms of influence in neighboring states and in military hardware destructiveness.

Last edited:
I do not mean to say, or believe, that Israel will accept precisely the 1967 borders as its own border. Certainly it will not give up Jerusalem and many of the largest settlements. However, I do believe that IF the Palestinians, including the HAMAS and pro-HAMAS factions, would irrevocably accept the existence of Israel on the pre-1967 borders, then a two state solution could be negotiated, albeit with additional give-ups by the Palestinians. World opinion would force the Israelis to accept some Palestinian demands.

If that is not acceptable, then a one-state, bi-nationality solution should be pursued. In this second case, I think the Palestinians would have to agree to accept the Israeli political system and the name Israel. They would have to negotiate a federal system (new constitution for the "new" bi-national Israel) wherein, at the beginning, parts of the new State of Israel would be majority non-Jewish and have local autonomy within the confines of the one-state's new constitution. For the one-state's constitution I would begin with the USA constitution (with its Bill of Rights and other amendments) and modify it in light of local cultural factors and the development of new and successful political concepts since 1789. I would envision that this merging of the two "nations" would take 10 years, but it would , hopefully, be ten years in which all internal and external energies and resources could be devoted to building the new bi-national nation.

As for Isarael mounting a major combat operation against Gaze, I think it is highly unlikely in view of the effort to stop Iran's nuclear program. Israel would want to save any and all international sympathy and support for a strike against Iran and the ensuing fallout that would produce. At this point, Gaza rockets are "small potatoes" along side the existential threat of an Iran which is strengthening in terms of influence in neighboring states and in military hardware destructiveness.

Wow.

My dear Sir, you should be a constitutional lawyer. Perhaps you already are. :D (sometimes degrees are kind of overrated)

My point (humbly speaking) is that one state vs. two state solution is kind of void.

There is a three state solution.

1. state of West bank (Republic of Palestine)
2. state of Israel (Jewish state)
3. state of gaza (Islamist state)

#2 and #3 are already well established.

#1 is the only one in question.

And sooner the Palestinian educated elite accept the boundaries of state #1, the bigger it will be.

Thank you

The two state solution is dead. Even today all talk of it and efforts to pursue it, is merely a mirage.
However, I would also question the viability of a binational state. What would be the national fabric of such a state? The name is not important. We could call it Palestein, so that would be a good compromise. lol

The problem is that you have got two different nations (Palestinians and Jews) that dont want to live under the sovereignty or political domination of the other ehtnic group.
I give some credence to those that say such a binational state would be extremely unhealthy and a bloody violent mess. Probably ridden with intercommunal violence/civil war that would be hard to contain.

Wow.

My dear Sir, you should be a constitutional lawyer. Perhaps you already are. :D (sometimes degrees are kind of overrated)

My point (humbly speaking) is that one state vs. two state solution is kind of void.

There is a three state solution.

1. state of West bank (Republic of Palestine)
2. state of Israel (Jewish state)
3. state of gaza (Islamist state)

#2 and #3 are already well established.

#1 is the only one in question.

And sooner the Palestinian educated elite accept the boundaries of state #1, the bigger it will be.

Thank you

I believe you are implying a "confederate" solution to the conflict.
I think that will eventually gain a lot of traction.

Last edited:

I believe you are implying a "confederate" solution to the conflict.
I think that will eventually gain a lot of traction.

Not sure what this confederate solution will eventually be.

At the moment I feel it will be heck of a lot easier. no change in constitution, no change in demographics, no change in borders. Just an instantaneous 3 state solution.

if there are 3 states. state of gaza, state of israel, state of west bank.

obviously one can add whatever tails and heads to these names. :D

Hope it doesn't come to that. Most of lives lost will be of civilians as the cowardly terrorists will hide among civilians after firing their pathetic rockets.

It will all be relatively quite for a few years till the next cycle. :crazy:

Why don't you say the same to Israel and condemn their siege and daily attacks against the Gaza Strip? Or to the occupation in the West Bank? I just posted several articles of illegal Israeli activity according to international law in Palestinian territory. Why don't you condemn that?
Hazzy
Ppl and govt. have started to react and this should be a proof
Israel concerned at growing boycott threat - Yahoo News
They're hit where it hurts most.....
Norway blacklisted colony linked companies.

And didnt Scarlett Johansson get to taste the bitter fizz when she accepted the offer of an Israeli sodastream???
So I guess times are changing.

Hazzy
Ppl and govt. have started to react and this should be a proof
Israel concerned at growing boycott threat - Yahoo News
They're hit where it hurts most.....
Norway blacklisted colony linked companies.

And didnt Scarlett Johansson get to taste the bitter fizz when she accepted the offer of an Israeli sodastream???
So I guess times are changing.

Times are changing, good move by Norway. :tup:

When there is real accountability and illegal activities aren't supported by the international world this is when Palestinians will get the sense that the world is not here to aid Israel's activities but rather ensure both sides are heard.

As for Isarael mounting a major combat operation against Gaze, I think it is highly unlikely in view of the effort to stop Iran's nuclear program. Israel would want to save any and all international sympathy and support for a strike against Iran and the ensuing fallout that would produce. At this point, Gaza rockets are "small potatoes" along side the existential threat of an Iran which is strengthening in terms of influence in neighboring states and in military hardware destructiveness.

You're making very good points but I want to make two quick points:

1. If Israel is expecting anything from Hamas, why did they punish the PA for forming a national government with Hamas representatives? They froze their tax funds and warned the PA against involving them in negotiations. If Israel is expecting anything from isolated Gaza then they should stop playing big dog which demands as much as it wants but doesn't comprise on anything especially regarding rights to Palestinians. Hamas would have its representatives at the negotiating table if the world did less to prevent it. Also, don't make Hamas appear like it's very influential, it's a small government that's providing for near 1.8 million residents in the impoverished Gaza Strip.

2. Your ideas on integrating Palestinians into one state will not work because all critics in Israel oppose to such a thing for demographics reasons. Even if this occurred, they would do their best to make life terrible for Palestinian citizens and prevent the majority of them from being able to receive land permits or to live in homes or construct their own. We aren't against such ideas, apparently you believe Israel is sincere when they aren't even willing to discuss what should be discussed and are trying to finalize a so called 'deal' where they want Gaza to stay as it is! same with the West Bank. Almost like a partial state in the West Bank and a state in Gaza without the actual functions of the state therefore there will be no opportunity to a right to a quality life for the Palestinians. What Israel wants is to make our lives havoc under their military presence until we get tired of it and completely leave our land. They want us to leave.

Hope it doesn't come to that. Most of lives lost will be of civilians as the cowardly terrorists will hide among civilians after firing their pathetic rockets.

It will all be relatively quite for a few years till the next cycle. :crazy:

No it won't come to war as long as Israel doesn't initiate an offensive. When Israel is busy with other things we see there is no speculation of an offensive against Gaza and this could go on for years as long as Israel wants it to be that way.

As for smaller organizations, most respect national consensus and the ones that don't are apprehended by Hamas. I condemn any rocket fire by smaller organizations that isn't done so in reflation, which is only a number of rare cases. However, I also don't believe we need to over exaggerate and homemade pipe falling in empty fields far from cities.

Leave your rumbo jumbo to yourself, you've never experienced war to call people cowards and neither are your statements accurate. According to people like you the only way Palestinian civilians can be injured is because they're being used 'human shields'. Yet, in reality israel attacks civilian infrastructure and civilian homes often being preplanned 'targets'. You're the apologist here, if Palestinian homes and cities are attacked there's no reason why Israeli cities should be quiet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom